Author Topic: front chin lip  (Read 584 times)

Hans Ma

front chin lip
« on: February 17, 2005, 12:35:18 am »
i just got a front lip: http://www.rernetworking.com/rmdsm/chinspoiler.html

anyway, after sliding the lip under the front bumper (just to see how it looks) i realized that the distance between the floor and the lip after install is like the size of my fist.  Should i still install it or is it way too low??

secondly, i want to paint it red, (i got the same model and color as Ricky Lim), but i dont wanna bring it to an autobody shop and pay $100+ dollars, so a cheap alternative people suggested to me is to go to Canadian tire and do a trial and error thing and match the red that is closest to my car's color.  What do you guys think?

Offline Ross Frenette

front chin lip
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2005, 02:47:00 am »
I'd imagine the front ground clearance with the spoiler on would be around three to four inches for a 2g, depending on your suspension and tire size.

A friend of mine has a lowered BMW 320i with three inches of clearance all around and he has problems with speedbumps and raised driveways, but with care he manages to get away without any scraping.

The spray bomb idea would certainly be cheaper than taking it to be painted, i'd only spray the front and sides if I were doing it though, the underside would get scraped off in pretty short order i'm sure.
op: You're under arrest for child cruelty, child endangerment, depriving children of food, selling children as food, and misrepresenting the weight of livestock.

Offline Aaron Moore

front chin lip
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2005, 07:36:41 am »
All I've ever heard is how much those things scrape everywhere.  Sell it.
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
front chin lip
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2005, 09:15:58 am »
I'm not soo sure about the spray paint idea..... all my civic buddies see to have a spray paint fetish ( not sure why  :roll:  )  but it never seems to turn out all that nice. I would keep it black untill you have the money to paint it. It's your call
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Adam Williamson

front chin lip
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2005, 10:13:11 am »
if you do decide to keep it, make sure that you drive EXTREMELY slow over speedbumps, raised driveways, etc. I'd suggest that you spend the extra cash and get it professionally painted, you won't regret it
-----------------------------------------------------
-98 Eagle Talon ESI

Hans Ma

front chin lip
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2005, 03:36:31 pm »
yeah, since the thing is ABS plastic, i figure it would only last a year or too after tackling some bumps, i might just spray and match or leave it black.

btw, does anyone know the name or model of the color?  i have a hint its called Sarratona Red??

ps, the fitment of the lip doesnt uniformly touch all sides of the stock front.... :(

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

front chin lip
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2005, 03:53:23 pm »
would it be possible to heat the lip to make the fit uniform all the way aroung the bumper???
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Re: front chin lip
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2005, 04:07:52 pm »
Quote from: "Hans Ma"
secondly, i want to paint it red, (i got the same model and color as Ricky Lim), but i dont wanna bring it to an autobody shop and pay $100+ dollars, so a cheap alternative people suggested to me is to go to Canadian tire and do a trial and error thing and match the red that is closest to my car's color.  What do you guys think?

I think if you were willing to spend ~$250 to buy that piece for looks, why mess it up with a budget paintjob?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Hans Ma

Re: front chin lip
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2005, 05:49:55 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
Quote from: "Hans Ma"

I think if you were willing to spend ~$250 to buy that piece for looks, why mess it up with a budget paintjob?

oh, sorry, my mistake, i got it for 150CAD flat.  Grabbed it off Anthony.

Offline John Hartman

front chin lip
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2005, 09:35:03 pm »
I don't think I would tackle painting that myself if the car is a nice one.

I have a bit of experience painting things like that.  I can do mirrors, or a valve cover, but something that big is not that easy.  you will get fish eyes, dust and possibly runs and thin spots in it too.

You could do it if you REALLY take your time and do not rush any steps.

But the thing is, unless you get primer and paint and clearcoat that have flex agent in them, when it bends(and it will) the paint will crack.

PS, if you can get a good pro job for $100 do it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods