Author Topic: Someone REARended me!! Question about paint job. (PIC)  (Read 1090 times)

Offline Ricky Lim

Someone REARended me!! Question about paint job. (PIC)
« on: February 13, 2005, 07:46:19 pm »
:x Some guy had to turn left and forced everyone to stop and wait. I stopped for a couple seconds and then I see this car in my rear view going fast and was not looking what is in front of him. He tried to stop and was too late. He hit my bumper hard. There was no body damage. Thank god!!! But he fucked up my paint as you can see the picture below.

Since it is not a big damage, should I not go to ICBC? The guy said he would cover the cost of fixing it if I dont report to ICBC.

Can you guys suggest a paint shop that can take care of this? What kind of stuff would they do to make it look like it never happened? Will they be able to match the colour of my car? And can you estimate how much will it cost?

I'm so heated right now. That guy should be looking at what is in front if him!!!

:x

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2005, 07:58:38 pm »
Best bet is to take it to a respected shop and get an estimate, it may only look like a couple scratches but who knows if anythng moved around behind the bumper...better to be safe then sorry!
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2005, 08:22:25 pm »
Call ICBC and start a claim.  You don't have to go thru with it.  Explain what happened and that the guy says he'll pay for it but if he doesn't you can claim it against his insurance.  Then get a quote from a reputable shop and have the guy pay you up front for it.  It'll likely be more than just paint damage.  The bumper cover pops back out after an impact but the stuff underneath doesn't.  Basically you need to cover your ass.  The guy knows he's at fault, he knows his insurance will get jacked all around if you claim and hopefully he's willing to pay.

There's a chance you could get it all fixed by a shop, pay them and go after the guy to get paid back and he'll tell you off, then you're screwed.  Cover your ass now.  If he works out payment directly with the shop have the shop assure you that the fix will happen and that he will cover it, and that if he disappears on the payment that they don't put a lien against your car and hold you responsible for payment.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Adam Williamson

« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2005, 08:23:03 pm »
Since it is not a big damage, should I not go to ICBC? The guy said he would cover the cost of fixing it if I dont report to ICBC

Definately report it to ICBC, any accident where someone hits you from behind hard should definately go through them. If something were to happen further on down the road, the guy would be long gone, whereas ICBC isn't going anywhere
-----------------------------------------------------
-98 Eagle Talon ESI

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2005, 08:30:03 pm »
Listen to them, ICBC is the way to go--even if he pays for it all, you'll still be covered just in case you realize something's wrong down the road--just ask Jack (not Lee, the other guy, the white guy) about that.

As far as what shop to take it to, I'd say take it to Donn Dean.  It's in burnaby, but Cal works there, and AMO's had some good experiences (just ask him).  I sent my mom's car there after it got stolen, and it was top notch.

Offline Ricky Lim

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2005, 09:03:40 pm »
Okay I will report to ICBC for sure. But I dont have a witness and what if the guy can just lie and said nothing happened?  Fuck I was so focused on my car's damage, I didn't remember to get witnesses.
Can ICBC still get him to cover my damage?

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2005, 09:16:00 pm »
they can usually tell what heppened from the damage,
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2005, 09:17:42 pm »
Quote from: "Nathan Tralenberg"
they can usually tell what heppened from the damage,

Talk to Martin Raska--he's got a couple stories.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2005, 11:06:58 pm »
Get a cheapo splashproof disposable camera with flash and keep it in the glovebox for times like that.  Then get out and start blasting off pictures.  Photgraphic evidence right after the accident would so be worth the $10 for the camera.  Plus once you've got pics you can move the cars out of the middle of the road or something.

Splash proof and flash will make sure you can take pics anywhere, even a rainy night.  Disposable means you won't forget it somewhere or not have any film it or something like that.  Just put it in there and forget about it.  Throw in an ICBC business card too so you have the claims number.  A pad and pen would be helpful too for getting the other guy's info.  You can never be too prepared.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Matthew Giene

« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2005, 08:41:14 am »
Quote from: "Ricky Lim"
Okay I will report to ICBC for sure. But I dont have a witness and what if the guy can just lie and said nothing happened?  Fuck I was so focused on my car's damage, I didn't remember to get witnesses.
Can ICBC still get him to cover my damage?

Having just gone through this, here is my recommendation.

Make a claim with ICBC and get them to fix it.  If the guy wants to pay for the damage ICBC will let him. (I am paying ICBC for when I hit someone.  This way my discount does not change.)  Doing it this way allows you to decide where to take it and if there are any problems, it is ICBC's problem, not yours.

Just my 2 cents.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2005, 10:21:01 pm »
all were saying is keep your options open.

And seeing pics of your car, MAKE SURE YOU GET A GOOD SHOP!!!

your car is VERY nice, don't, do not settle for a less than perfect job.  ICBC doesn't have the right to tell you where to take your car, YOU do.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ricky Lim

« Reply #11 on: February 16, 2005, 02:53:28 am »
So I got back from the estimate appointment with ICBC. There was a crack in the plastic board that's against the taillights inside the trunk. The estimator said it wasn't caused by the hit. I told him that it was never there before the hit. I know every detail about my car since it is my first car. He said it is impossible because there is a metal plate that is between the taillights and plastic board. Is he trying to cheao out on me? Why wouldn't there be a crack on the inside trunk if the bastard his me in the bump. Sure there is no dent on the bumper, but it is more flexible then the freakin plastic due to impact. I do not want to come out of this having something still damaged on my car.  Can I go back and dipsute with the estimator?

The estimate for the paintjob is just over $210. I heard AK autoworks does great job so I asked for an estimate from them. And they say it will cost $350 plus tax to fix it. If the ICBC estimate is lower than the actual cost to fix it, who would pay the difference?

Also if AK Autoworks find internal damage, do I have to go to ICBC for estimate again?

Damn, I really don't need this shit right now. :evil:

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #12 on: February 16, 2005, 07:54:54 am »
I get to deal with icbc once again in about an hour for damage incurred by others.  If it occured from the damage, which might be tough for them to believe unless there was metal damage because that piece you talk about doesn't sound stressed, but don't take their shit.  I took their shit for 2 claims of outright denial by the other party before I have wisend.  And I plan on opening up at least one of them and going back to them.  You pay them probably upwards of $3000 I guess to insure you, and especially if you aren't ever at fault like myself, keep hounding them and repeating the fact that ___ wasn't present before the accident.  In the meantime, I finally have an appointment to have the side of my car fixed today.

Funny, I move out of surrey and my insurace goes down $300 overall, and suddenly I'm in the world of incompetant city drivers.  All times my car has been hit, which is 3 that I've witnessed, my car has been at a standstill.  :x
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #13 on: February 16, 2005, 08:45:42 am »
Get a sticker that reads "I HIT PEOPLE AT RANDOM"

than they'll kow what's up :D

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #14 on: February 16, 2005, 10:17:44 am »
Make sure they take off the bumper to assess damage.  Only a fool will just look at the bumper cover for damage assessment. :roll: