Author Topic: freakin power steering :(  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Eric Mathews

• http://www.thingsthatgo.ca
freakin power steering :(
« on: February 08, 2005, 10:50:05 pm »
ya so my power steering pump makes a really nice grown apply pressure on the wheel to turn it, the pump had a problem, but it was just a leak in the hose so we fixed that and filled her up and it still makes the noise... any  suggestions?  :(
986 MR2
2002 WRX

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2005, 11:05:59 pm »
have you checked to make sure that there isn't air in the lines??
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Adam Hume

« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2005, 11:21:44 pm »
get a power steering flush done

Shawn Parsons

Is it the same...
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2005, 12:27:33 am »
I dont know if its the same, But with My Subaru XT my steering pump was doing the same kind of thing, only with the groan there was a litte tick... Anyways I played around with it for awhile and I found that the bearing in my pulley was shot. An easy way to check this... Again I dont know if its the same as a Talon, But on my Subaru I just pulled slightly on the pulley itself and if it slides forward a little bit then thats how you know.
Dont know if you understood this, its my bedtime and I need sleep! lol

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2005, 06:09:26 pm »
these power steering pumps have a VERY specific fill/bleed procedure.

One corner up, a bunch of specific things.

One thing I did read is that if you have noise and air in the system, DON"T keep driving it!!  you will damage the pump.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2005, 06:27:56 pm »
What is very specific?  Did I do it incorrectly by draining, filling, bleeding by turning wheel back and forth, repeating a ba-jillion (yes, that many) times? It didn't need anymore fluid ones started, so I guess it worked alright. Bah, it doesn't matter, power steering is for wusses.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2005, 06:41:56 pm »
sounds similar, but the drivers front of the veh needs to be up on a jack, tire a few inches off the ground.  I forget the complete procedure.

If your car isn't making any noise or other ill effects type of symptoms you should be ok.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2005, 02:03:41 pm »
Everytime I apply any pressure to my wheel, I get this squeeking noise. Anyone know what that's about? I hab my p/s belt changed about 2 months ago, and it's been fine ever since. I had Tommy at L&R work on it about a week ago, but I haven't had time take it back. I'm sure it's an easy fix, but thought maybe you guys could save me a trip.

Thanks,
Ryan
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2005, 02:07:31 pm »
Belt tension?  Pop the hood and push the power steering belt with your finger.  When the car is off of course.  How does it feel?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Matthew Giene

Re: freakin power steering :(
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2005, 04:16:39 pm »
Quote from: "Eric Mathews"
any  suggestions?  :(

Remove the PS Belt.
Drain some fluid.
Drive without Power steering.   :wink:

But hey, some people like power steering.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2005, 12:00:39 pm »
Alright, I'll push on it and let you know.

You guys don't think that it could be my shocks do you? Because sometimes when I go over bumps, it squeeks also. It's not that quiet either, it's pretty damn loud.

Thanks,

Ryan
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2005, 12:59:26 pm »
I pushed on it and it seems fine. It's pretty tight in there.

How would I know if it's my shock? It's the front driver side, when I push down and try to bounce the car, it does make the same sound...could this be it?
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2005, 01:29:02 pm »
well if its the same sound then ya probably it!!
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2005, 08:24:34 pm »
Alright, this fuckin blows.

I had my car at L&R, just got it back it's still doing the same damn thing. Lowell said that it was the recall on the suspension, but I had that done in 2001, and he just did it again, and $160 bucks later, it's no different than it was when I gave it to him.

What do you guys think it is?
2001 Altezza RS200

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2005, 08:39:13 pm »
Quote from: "Ryan Singh"
Alright, this fuckin blows.

I had my car at L&R, just got it back it's still doing the same damn thing. Lowell said that it was the recall on the suspension, but I had that done in 2001, and he just did it again, and $160 bucks later, it's no different than it was when I gave it to him.

What do you guys think it is?

Don't worry about it, just drive it until it breaks. DSMs always make wierd noises, if it doesn't break than dont worry about it.