Author Topic: Overheating Issue  (Read 1233 times)

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Overheating Issue
« on: February 06, 2005, 07:57:37 pm »
When driving the car once its fully warmed up, the temperature guage goes about 3/4 of the way up when reving at about 3000rpm. When bringing the revs down, the guage goes down to almost half, and if putting the car in neutral and bringing the revs down to an idle, the guage goes right back to half.

Both fans are working. I'm thinking it might be low on coolant so I'll fill up the overflow bottle so the system can take it from there. The guage goes higher as the revs go up.

Any ideas to what this could be?

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
Overheating Issue
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2005, 08:14:18 pm »
Best case senario, like you said low on coolant. Maybe burp it a bit and put it to bed.

but..When you overheat are you pushing coolant into the overflow? HG could be kaput. Look for pinhole leaks that would account for water loss, its gotta go somewhere if you arn`t mixing it or eating it.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline mike griffin

Overheating Issue
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2005, 08:23:40 pm »
is this with the new one? steve said something about it overheating after the 16g install.
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
Overheating Issue
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2005, 08:25:59 pm »
Signs of BHG (blown head gasket)

1. Never ending bubbles when burping.
2. Coolant inside the cylinders after driving, just remove the plugs and see with flash light.
3. Numerous coolant overflow thru the overflow bottle.
4. Lose of heat inside the car (due to air in the cooling lines).
5. Rough idle or miss on cylinder due to water inside the cylinder.
6. Car overheats under load highway driving/uphills

Although BHG on Talons is not as common as on Supras, it still blows due to high boost/detonation.

I'd change the thermostat and burp the coolant lines, if the problems remains do a compression test (cylinder with blown gasket will have lower compression). You could also buy a kit from NAPA that will test presents of exahust gases in coolant.

Art

Offline Ryan Lore

Overheating Issue
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2005, 08:57:26 pm »
438whp

I'm thinking gasket.

Offline Robin Toor

Overheating Issue
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2005, 09:15:51 pm »
Not too sure if the coolant was being pushed into the overflow. Oil is nice and black with no traces of coolant... coolant is brownish yellow but I believe that is because the new yellow type coolant was put in it.

I just filled up the coolant with water, it took 2 full 8oz cups. Seems like there is alot of air in the system since pushing on the rad hose would cause air bubbles to come out.

The heat inside the car does go from cool to warm from time to time. If I crank the heat all the way up the car does not over heat, the guage stays right at half.

Did a leak down test today, nothing was over 4%, except cylinder #4 was at 10%, so compression seems fine.

And this wasn't in my red talon, I just picked up a new talon (Steve Girard's) in trade of my truck, so its that car.

Think it's blown headgasket or something simple as blockage or system needs to be burped? I filled up the coolant in the system and overflow bottle so it can burp tommorow, hopefully that'll solve the problem.

Offline Dilvinder Grewal

Overheating Issue
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2005, 10:02:01 pm »
hey robin, mine did that during the summer, so i got the rad flushed,and put a new thermasat in it and it still overheated, so then some guy was like try changin the rad cap and i was like wat the hell might as well, once i changed it, it never overheated again so maybe try it..... good luck :D
997 Eclipse GSX

Offline trevor_Shiggs

Overheating Issue
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2005, 10:07:08 pm »
i got a coolant question
how high is the guage suppoest to go before the thermostat opens.
Mine goes 3/4 the way up before the thermostat opens.
1G TSI FWD
Ford Tech

Offline Robin Toor

Overheating Issue
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2005, 10:43:32 pm »
Quote from: "trevor_Shiggs"
i got a coolant question
how high is the guage suppoest to go before the thermostat opens.
Mine goes 3/4 the way up before the thermostat opens.

I think that is ok for now, mine seems to be like that also. Some cars like to run hotter, you get better gas mileage like that. As long as you don't get into the red zone you won't warp the head. I hear anywhere between 1/2 and 3/4 is fine, past that is warping head zone.

Offline John Hartman

Overheating Issue
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2005, 06:09:25 pm »
Robin, check the t-stat if getting all the air out doesn't fix it for ya.

Hey, its simple and cheap.

And as for the coolant colour, thats just dirty, sludgy, "flush me" coolant.  Even Dexcool isn't that colour, its a nice pink.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Kevin Klapwijk

• UndergroundTuner.com
Overheating Issue
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2005, 12:16:25 am »
Turn up the heater full blast with windows down to release some heat from the engine.
1997 GSX Eclipse
1997 GS Eclipse

Cell: 778-889-4293

Offline Matt Demick

Overheating Issue
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2005, 01:02:21 am »
Ok done this before. Either your thermostat is shot, air in ur system ( bleeding it takes not even 10 min, or your rad cap is dead. Highly doubt with ur leak down test it a headgasket. I do have a compression tester i ya want to borrow it. I'm home all day every day just hit up my cell
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
Overheating Issue
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2005, 01:27:21 am »
"brown coolant"  :rofl:
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline John Hartman

Overheating Issue
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2005, 08:33:07 pm »
HAhaHAHA!  I didn't even catch that!!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Robin Toor

Overheating Issue
« Reply #14 on: February 13, 2005, 11:18:19 am »
UPDATE:

Seems the coolant flush, t-stat and rad cap change fixed the problem. Needle doesn't creep up past half now, all looks good :thumbs: