Author Topic: Safc  (Read 582 times)

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« on: January 25, 2005, 10:11:47 pm »
Any one in surrey wanna help me install my SAFC Vfaq tell me one thing and Apexi site tells me one thing
BlackBerry PIN:3066A9D2
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GST Spyder
1997 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX
2000 Mustang Roush Stage 3
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons
Tons Of Other Cars  (33 To Date)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Re: Safc
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2005, 10:16:23 pm »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
Any one in surrey wanna help me install my SAFC Vfaq tell me one thing and Apexi site tells me one thing

If I had a choice between believing the VFAQ or the Apex'i site, I'd trust the VFAQ.  Andrew Scott and myself did and it got our cars working
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 10:22:44 pm »
u wanna help me install it cuz i am getting really confused and i don't want to fuck up any thing
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

Safc
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 10:32:27 pm »
Quote from: "DarrylDhaliwal"
u wanna help me install it cuz i am getting really confused and i don't want to fuck up any thing

I'd like to help but I have two cars to build already that take up more than all my time.....plus Andrew did it for me while I was installing my pump :oops:
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Safc
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 10:36:07 pm »
What are you confused with, I presume you are looking at this: http://www.vfaq.com/mods/gvr4_afc_instructions.html

He does a really good job of walking you through it.  I'd do it for you but I'm in the same position of Jovan can't really make any time, and have no good place to work.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« Reply #5 on: January 25, 2005, 10:44:35 pm »
ok so i sould follow http://www.vfaq.com/mods/gvr4_afc_instructions.html  cuz on apexi site it shows thethrottle signal in a different place. I can do it i just want a little back up if i get lost. Like with the ground one and ground 2. It seez they both go to a black wire on the ECU plug.

)    Ground Wire: 1: Connect the Brown wire of the AFC harness to the Black wire with Orange bands corresponding to the connector hole as shown above (bottom row, furthest on the right)
Ground Wire 2: Connect the Black wire of the AFC harness to the same Black wire with Orange bands as you did the Brown wire. Be sure to connect the Brown wire closer to the ECU/connector than the Black wire
Dose that mean connect them tougether
http://www.vfaq.com/proj-pics/AFC/gvr4/10pin.jpg

Air Flow Signal: Cut the Green wire with a blue stripe and Orange bands, corresponding to the connector hole as shown above (top row 3rd from left). This is the Air Flow signal wire. The AFC will intercept this wire and allow you to adjust the MAS signal to the ECU so leave enough wire from the connector so you can splice in.
Dose this Mean Cut the wire and connect it strate to the AFC and not to the plug

4)    AFC Connections: Connect the Orange wire (input to the AFC) of the AFC harness to the wire you cut from the 24 Pin connector. Connect the Pink wire (output from the AFC) of the AFC harness to the part of the wire still on the connector.
WHAT DOSE THIS MEAN

These ?'s may be dumb but i dosen't want to screw anything up and i am better of to ask stupid question the to F&$K up my car
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons

Offline Martin Raska

Safc
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2005, 11:48:12 pm »
The apexi manual and the vfaqs show the same throttle position wire, it's just that the vfaq is looking at the plug, and apexi's is looking at the ecu, so they are mirror images.  It displays on the vfaqs some optional inputs like the o2 sensor which dont have influence on operation.

Yes that means the black and the brown will be connected together/both conected to the ecu ground.

Yes the airflow signal wire will by cut in two.  You will connect one of those press fit plugs if you want to the engine side end, then plug the airflow signal input onthe afc wiring harness to it.  Then connect one of the other plugs onto the wire you just cut coming off the ecu, and plug the output airflow signal of the afc into that.

That means what I just explained directly above.

Here is a pinout of your ecu if you want to confirm things: http://dmtalon.v8eaters.com/ecu_harness.html
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2005, 01:50:08 am »
i think i screwed up

AFC Connections: Connect the Orange wire (input to the AFC) of the AFC harness to the wire you cut from the 24 Pin connector. Connect the Pink wire (output from the AFC) of the AFC harness to the part of the wire still on the connector.

I basiclly cut the wire and connected the ok side of the AFC to the engine harness and one to the Connector

Now my car when i drive it, it like boggs out.  if i touch the gas and take off normallly it will drive fine till it hit arrond 2200 rpma and then it just boggs out.

Ground Wire: 1: Connect the Brown wire of the AFC harness to the Black wire with Orange bands corresponding to the connector hole as shown above (bottom row, furthest on the right).
3)    Ground Wire 2: Connect the Black wire of the AFC harness to the same Black wire with Orange bands as you did the Brown wire. Be sure to connect the Brown wire closer to the ECU/connector than the Black wire.  in this section i did that exact same thing as i did for the AIR FLOW. I have no clue how to tune this also so some one arround surrey burnaby help mePLZ
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons

Offline Martin Raska

Safc
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2005, 02:44:17 am »
It is unclear exactly what you did there, but is it set to karmann frequency? It has to be.  Hot wire setting is no good.

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2005, 11:07:57 am »
oh i will do that i saw that but i never played with anything yet
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons

Offline DarrylDhaliwal

Safc
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2005, 04:13:15 pm »
ok so that worked (settign it to the karman setting so now i need some one to help me adjust. SOme one help me out cuz i would like to drive my car normally.
1995 Bmw 325
1997 Ford F-150 5.4L
4 N/A Talons
2 FWD TSI Talons
2 AWD TSI Talons

Offline John Hartman

Safc
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2005, 06:13:30 pm »
you HAVE to have a datalogger.  Without it you are just guessing.  

Some people might get thier guesses pretty close but guesses they will still be.

If you have a datalogger, here are some good links to tuning with it.

http://members.rogers.com/mrjackson9/FAQs/SAFC_Tuning.htm

http://www.vfaq.com/TMO/    Used to have another by Kyle Tarry, but its a big 404 now.

Here is another SAFC install page too.  Just for fun ;)  http://www.plymouthlaser.com/safc.htm

I have installed mine and other electronic things like 2g maf in a 1g.  I find it helps to take a sheet of paper and write out on it what colour each wire that is attached to the component(SAFC, MAF etc) is and where it goes to on the cars wiring harness.

EG:  green/red tracer on the Domahickey goes to the brown/white stripe on the harness.  (example only, not the real connection)

Put a line down the middle of the page and organize the wires this way. Object on one side and harness on the other.

also remember to solder, not butt connectors, not twist it up.  Make GOOD joints, and with that ground, and the brown and black, the order IS important.

Also, remember that an SAFC and the ECU run on smoke. ;)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods