Author Topic: auto upgrade  (Read 614 times)

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
auto upgrade
« on: January 23, 2005, 03:18:14 pm »
I am about to change my talons 13g for a 14b turbo and 450 injectors. What I need to know is if I need a manual trans. ECU for this or if I can keep the ECU thats in it.  Are there any other items I may need for this swap?  I have a 2g manifold, 2g TB elbow, 2g MAF. I would like to put everything on now but not sure what else I need. thanks.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Mike Schmid

auto upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2005, 04:19:32 pm »
The fuel maps are setup for the smaller injectors so you might need a SAFC to compensate for the bigger injector size.  You can keep you ECU tho.  I think the ATs are supposed to have more fuel pressure too so it might not be far off if you lower your FP with a MT FPR.  You can always try it and see what happens, you can datalog it and tune your MAF hacking to match.  Make sure you datalog after the swap to make sure it's running right.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
auto upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2005, 03:26:34 pm »
Shouldn't this just be a easy swap? If I just change turbo and injectors and away I go.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
auto upgrade
« Reply #3 on: January 25, 2005, 05:13:11 pm »
If you just put in bigger injectors you will be running way too rich because the ecu will open them for as long as the smaller ones so obviously more fuel will come out.  You will only want more fuel under bigger boost, not all the normal driving.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ryan Lore

auto upgrade
« Reply #4 on: January 25, 2005, 05:42:40 pm »
I think by installing the 2gMAf it will offset the injectors close enough for decent drivability

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
auto upgrade
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2005, 07:40:06 am »
I forgot to post that I also have a MBC if needed.

Ryan, thats a good point about the maf but should I get a manual ecu? Would it be easier or will it not work?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline John Hartman

auto upgrade
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2005, 06:16:16 pm »
Get a set of manual TSi cams while you are at it.  The auto 1g cams are not as performance oriented either.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
auto upgrade
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2005, 09:48:04 pm »
I thought they were the same?
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Graeme Shaw

auto upgrade
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2005, 10:05:16 pm »
Manual cams are more agressive.  1G 5 speed are better than 2G.  2G are all the same though.

Offline Martin Raska

auto upgrade
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2005, 11:02:50 pm »
Why go to the trouble to replace your cams with more shitty cams?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ryan Lore

auto upgrade
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2005, 11:40:25 pm »
I agree with Martin.

It's a fair amount of work to replace cams.

Marke, I'm sure you will enjoy your turbo upgrade

I'd also recommend purchasing a fuel pump, and replacing the fuel filter and cleaning the injectors before installing them.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
auto upgrade
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2005, 09:15:17 am »
thanks guys.

I will probably do the cams later cause I have really noisy lifters, and will be replacing those soon. I was wondering about the fuel pump too, should I get a 255 lph? it might be overkill for now but I have plans to go further in the near future.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

Offline Mike Schmid

auto upgrade
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2005, 09:20:53 am »
Do it once and do it right.  
Go big or go home.

I think think you know where I'm going with this  ;)

Keep in mind with a real upgraded fuel system you might need more stuff though like a AFPR and SAFC.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Martin Raska

auto upgrade
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2005, 06:23:03 pm »
Apparently you can replace the lifters without taking the cams out.  I saw pictures somewhere, but have never taken the lifters out without the cams first being out.