Author Topic: help really bad idel and start-up  (Read 973 times)

daniel_doluntap

help really bad idel and start-up
« on: January 20, 2005, 07:31:32 pm »
well here it is i got my car back from lowell a few weeks ago about 3 or so. he installed a coolant sensor for me and did some other small stuff. every since it has been ideling very weired first when i start it , it bearley starts and then when it gets going it is really high. the idel stays high around 1600 to 1200 all the time then drops after driving but it takes a few seconds after stoping to settle down but is still at 1000 rpms

i dont know what to do

the starting is really bad almost sounds like its going to stall or something

heeeellllppppp!!!!!!

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Re: help really bad idel and start-up
« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2005, 08:19:41 pm »
Quote from: "daniel_doluntap"
well here it is i got my car back from lowell a few weeks ago about 3 or so. he installed a coolant sensor for me and did some other small stuff. every since it has been ideling very weired first when i start it , it bearley starts and then when it gets going it is really high. the idel stays high around 1600 to 1200 all the time then drops after driving but it takes a few seconds after stoping to settle down but is still at 1000 rpms

i dont know what to do

the starting is really bad almost sounds like its going to stall or something

heeeellllppppp!!!!!!

That's the same as my car, althought I haven't quite figured it out yet. My car takes 30 seconds of cranking in the morning to start, and then barely idles, but when it finally does it is around 1200rpm. I believe it's my Throttle Position Sensor although I'm not sure.

Your idle could also be high becuase the idle screw needs to be put in a little more (BIS Screw).

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2005, 12:25:33 am »
Robin, your fuel pressure drops off after you stop the car right? You might have a leak somewhere in your fuel system and takes a while to build pressure back up.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

daniel_doluntap

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2005, 01:07:09 am »
my car has a really bad idel but it doesnt take that long to start my car it starts right away but it idels really rough (sounds likea stalling car)

but it is weird that it happend right after i installed the coolent temp sensor mabey something to do with the pressure

i dont know

i have no clue what to do

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2005, 01:11:11 am »
So does it just idle high when the car is cold and then at 1000 rpms for the rest of your trips?  If so, that is normal with a good coolant teperature sensor, because the ecu richens the mixture up and raises idle based on coolant temperature.  Idling at 1000 rpms normally while driving would just be due to a idle adjustment screw setting, or however you adjust your idle on 2gs since I think you have a 2g?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Tony Esposito

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2005, 08:15:27 am »
my car would start kinda rough but when id idle every once in awhile the revs would drop then go back up and feel like a misfire. it ended up being that i had a oil leak prior that i had fixed and the ignition wires ended up soaking up tonnes of oil along with bad spark plugs. not sure if its the same thing but its a possibility?

daniel_doluntap

« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 10:08:21 am »
martin

my idel is bad through out the trip only when it comes to a complet stop will it adjust but it still stays at 1500 for a few seconds

but during the course of the trip it will never go below 1500 (ever) if i am driving or even rolling

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 10:24:15 am »
Quote from: "Andrew Scott"
Robin, your fuel pressure drops off after you stop the car right? You might have a leak somewhere in your fuel system and takes a while to build pressure back up.

Fuel pressure drops right away yes, but it also builds back up right away when cranking the motor over. I'm back up to normal fuel pressure within seconds, so I don't think that's the problem.

If the coolant temp sensor is defective, it could be causing this problem as it will tell the ECU the car is running to hot or to cold to give it less or more fuel.

I had the same problem when my coolant temp sensor wire was cut and the ecu was reading the coolant temp as -40 all the time, thus making me run way to rich.

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 12:44:43 pm »
Quote from: "daniel_doluntap"
martin

my idel is bad through out the trip only when it comes to a complet stop will it adjust but it still stays at 1500 for a few seconds

but during the course of the trip it will never go below 1500 (ever) if i am driving or even rolling

It could be just the car compensating for all the accessories going on, etc.  I don't know the time frame here so it's hard to say.  A slightly higher idle when coming to a stop and settling down doesn't sound all that alarming, but if its too high for too long that's another matter.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Cole Lacey

• http://www.cardomain.com/id/colegst
« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2005, 01:00:58 pm »
The cold weather make my car cranky to start and my idle never drops from 1300 till i drive around a bit.
9'Eclipse GS-T Pearl SIlver,Leather Power everyhting, A/C,GReddy Type-S BOV, Auto Meter BOOST guadge/volt meter,MBC,Vibrant Intake,BIG 16G Turbo, 18inch koning verdicts,3 inch turbo back (no cat). Skunk 2 Coil overs, Stage 2 Slowboy clutch, Firdanza Fly wheel, HKS turbo timer, Apexi 5knob AFC

daniel_doluntap

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2005, 02:38:18 pm »
mabey it is the coolent temp sensor

because it only started happening when i got it back from l and r

they did the coolent temp sensor

i bought it from crysler mabey it is the wrong one??

Offline Ernie Turner

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2005, 02:53:37 pm »
I have this same problem acually.  Its been around for a little while.  When i start the car up it cranks for about 5 seconds or so and then the idle sucks for a bit.  But then after the car is all warmed up and everything is good it goes back down to normal idling.

I also noticed on my car that when i crank the car the voltage is about 10.0 or even 9.8 at sometimes.  Can't be too good either.  So would this mean bad alternator?

Daniel.. u should learn to type a bit better.  Fix ur mistakes, or proof read your post before posting.
3 Subaru Impreza WRX - Rally Blue
91 Eagle Talon TSi FWD - Traded in.
14.1@101mph.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2005, 04:05:34 pm »
Usually hard start-up is caused by a plugged Fuel Filter or a vacume leak.

There could be tons of other things, but above are basics.

Filter can be checked by a blow-thru method, if there is alot of resistance when blowing thru the inlet  side than the filter is plugged and has to be changed.:D

Best/cost effective replacement would be an ALTROM filter they are $16 each compare to $45 Fram, Mitsu or other brands.

Art

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2005, 11:33:17 pm »
I can get you jobber pricing on Altrom stuff.  PM me if you wanna save a buck or three.

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2005, 12:42:46 am »
Quote from: "Ernie Turner"

I also noticed on my car that when i crank the car the voltage is about 10.0 or even 9.8 at sometimes.  Can't be too good either.  So would this mean bad alternator?

That's due to internal resistance of the battery outputting a lot of current to the starter.  Nothing to do with the alternator unless it was not properly charged in the first place.  That is a little low, mine drops to about 11.5 under cranking compared to 12.9 normally.  Maybe your battery is on its way out, or maybe it's just like that.