Author Topic: Type of Wastegate?  (Read 673 times)

Offline Nick Walker

Type of Wastegate?
« on: January 19, 2005, 04:29:35 pm »
I just bought a 20g turbo and 24 row FMI for my 2g talon AWD and running 20 psi. i never put an external wastegate on it and was wondering what size would i need. I don't know a lot about the wastegates and what the difference is between a 38mm and a 40mm other than the size and how much psi it can handle. Just wondering if you guys had any opinions on some good external wastegates.
1997 Talon tsi awd

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #1 on: January 19, 2005, 04:31:30 pm »
So you are about to convert from IWG to EWG?

In any event Tial is a good/resonably priced brand, however there are alot of HKS and Greddy WG on Ebay.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2005, 04:33:59 pm »
I have a 20G and EXWG and creep.  40mm ain't big enough.... :(
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2005, 05:30:32 pm »
Quote from: "Chris Andrews"
I have a 20G and EXWG and creep.  40mm ain't big enough.... :(

What does it like to creep to?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2005, 01:31:34 pm »
I hate boost creep. It always haunted me....

I had an 02 eliminator downpipe with a Tial 38MM EWG externally dumped and the thing still creeped.
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Clayton Ulmer

Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2005, 02:16:11 pm »
I have a Tial 40mm, with a 20g and I never get creep.  I think it is an awesome EXWG, and it sounds sweet if you dump it to atmosphere. :P
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline Andrew Scott

Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2005, 12:23:08 am »
If you have creep with a 38mm wastegate or larger, somthing is outta whack.

Chris I'n not telling you how to do anything, this is just for others that might read it, general reference.

You need to create a path of least resistance to the wastegate. This means placing the wastegate where the gas will naturally flow to, and have the rest of the exhaust runners harder to get to, as a secondary path. This does hurt flow, so for proper exhaust flow you have to find a good medium. Too much bias towards the path leading to the turbo and you'll have great spool, but creep. Too much bias towards the path leading to the wastegate, and flow will become inefficient, and will hurt your spoolup.

In conclusion: wastegate placement is far more important than size.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Ryan Lore

Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #7 on: January 21, 2005, 08:09:39 am »
I agree with Andrew.

I've seen a well placed 40mm work just fine maintaining 15psi on a 5.0 mustang running to 6k

too many other variables to blame the wastegate sizing alone

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2005, 09:02:32 am »
I agree that placement has some bearing on how well the EXWG will work.   But size is very important, and there are numerous other factors to consider.

For example,  where is "optimal placement" (turbo engineers have done this for us,  its right where the internal hole is), and is it practical for me to put my EXWG there?    EXWGs are big and get very hot, and you have to find a place to put it where you can access bolts, and access belts, and not have it too close to anything to cause heat damage.  This limits placement.   I've placed mine where 80-90% of dsmrs place theirs.  

Also, the size of the WG depends on overal system efficiency.  For example, my boost creep (while on the enlarged internal) got a LOT worse after I installed the large FMIC, and thats when I realized I needed a much bigger/external WG.

Is something out of wack on my car?  I doubt it.  I think my car runs very well.   It runs so well that I need very little exhaust pressure to run the boost levels I need.  I think this means my car is very efficient.

Lets get back on topic.

Nick was asking if he should buy a 38mm or a 40mm. With a big FMIC, good intake, exhaust, and cams (heaven forbid if he ever goes 2.4L), I would suggest to him at least get 40mm, and bigger if he can afford it.

To suggest that all DSM'rs could get by on a 38mm, regardless of mods, HP levels(and all the other factors that determine WG size),  if they could just put their WG in the right spot is poor advice indeed.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Robert Thibert

Type of Wastegate?
« Reply #9 on: January 30, 2005, 08:48:58 pm »
I know very little about westgate placement. However, I know Scot Gray's 1994 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX, that has run in USCC uses a Tial 40mm with great results (420whp).  Maybe you could email him for some advice?  Good luck.

blak94gsx@blak94gsx.com