Author Topic: turbo upgrade  (Read 1308 times)

Tony Esposito

turbo upgrade
« on: January 16, 2005, 09:19:00 pm »
ok so im just looking at options here....i have a 96 eclipse gs-t and might have to replace the turbo. I figure if im gonna replace i might as well upgrade? To upgrade my turbo im sure theres other parts i have to upgrade to get it working properly so what do you guys suggest?

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

turbo upgrade
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2005, 09:55:53 pm »
What  is your current setup... or are you pretty much bone stock??
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Tony Esposito

turbo upgrade
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2005, 11:18:01 pm »
stock except 3" exhaust that i bought off andreas

Offline Clayton Ulmer

turbo upgrade
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2005, 11:45:17 pm »
Charn Gill has a big 16g turbo for sale...im pretty sure he still has it.  He only used it for a couple of months.  It also comes with the J pipe, which you will need, stainless steal oil line and a ported wastegate.  I would pm him.  Its a good upgrade and he is asking a decent price.
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline Mike Schmid

turbo upgrade
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2005, 11:52:32 pm »
What Clayton said.  Ideally you want fuel control and a whole host of other things but you can do well by putting a larger turbo on before the supporting mods if you keep the boost down.  Don't expect huge gains from a bigger turbo with no supporting mods and resist the urge to up the boost but if you need a turbo it makes more sense to upgrade now then buy stock and buy again later.  

Also converting to a 14b style turbo will help out because you can swap in any 16g or other similar bolt-in turbos on a 1G.  14b, small 16g, big 16g and evo3 16g are all the same externally and if you get the oil line and j pipe and whatever else for your 2G any of those will be a bolt in.  

Look into Charn's setup, it's got all the 2G conversion parts plus a big 16g is a good upgrade turbo.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Scott

turbo upgrade
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2005, 03:34:11 am »
You could bolt on a t28 without doing too much else.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline KevinBuckham

turbo upgrade
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 05:51:59 pm »
I would recommend the FP Big28 or the EVO III 16G.  

The FP Big28 is a complete drop-in solution.  The power is great, spool is amazing.  I think it is pretty much the ultimate autocross turbo unless you get a 2.4.

The EVOIII 16G has more power and more lag.

Without modifying the fuel system or fuel tuning capabilities you won't notice much of a gain on either turbo.  However I suspect the Big28 would feel better at low boost levels (spool to 10 PSI faster).

Both turbos actually might *feel* slower than a properly working T25 but should actually pull harder.  The T25 has a very quick spool that even the Big28 can't match.

Andy Tong

turbo upgrade
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2005, 09:21:39 pm »
that's y BOV r for..

Quote from: "KevinBuckham"
I would recommend the FP Big28 or the EVO III 16G.  

The FP Big28 is a complete drop-in solution.  The power is great, spool is amazing.  I think it is pretty much the ultimate autocross turbo unless you get a 2.4.

The EVOIII 16G has more power and more lag.

Without modifying the fuel system or fuel tuning capabilities you won't notice much of a gain on either turbo.  However I suspect the Big28 would feel better at low boost levels (spool to 10 PSI faster).

Both turbos actually might *feel* slower than a properly working T25 but should actually pull harder.  The T25 has a very quick spool that even the Big28 can't match.

Offline mike griffin

turbo upgrade
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2005, 10:41:01 pm »
huh?
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

turbo upgrade
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2005, 10:54:23 pm »
Quote from: "Andy Tong"
that's y BOV r for..

Greetings!  On behalf of the Earth, I would like to welcome you, however we don't speak moonman.   :(
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Tony Esposito

turbo upgrade
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2005, 11:14:12 pm »
im looking for help so i dont wanna sound rude but what does that mean? "thats y bov r for?"  i dont get it?

Graeme Shaw

turbo upgrade
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2005, 11:14:56 pm »
Nobody else can understand it either.

Offline mike griffin

turbo upgrade
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2005, 11:18:07 pm »
i think hes talking about compressor surge. how he changed the subject to that is beyond me. i feel like a translator :?
why does your car sneeze when you shift?"

1990 Eagle Talon TSi AWD

lotsa mods

Tony Esposito

turbo upgrade
« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2005, 11:18:53 pm »
is it mandatory to upgrade the bov if i get the big16? and is install gonna kill me or is there somebody on here thats willing to do a cash job :)

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

turbo upgrade
« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2005, 11:20:45 pm »
Quote from: "Tony Esposito"
is it mandatory to upgrade the bov if i get the big16? and is install gonna kill me or is there somebody on here thats willing to do a cash job :)

A T-28 is a direct bolt in.  If you have wrenches, you have what it takes to get it in.  If you have the stock BOV on a 2g, it should be replaced anyways.  They can't hold much more than stock boost anyways
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)