Author Topic: aftermarket fuel system questions (good/bad)  (Read 442 times)

Offline TroyHill

aftermarket fuel system questions (good/bad)
« on: January 14, 2005, 10:16:31 pm »
Ok so here is the deal, I am going to be running 550's in my car (when its all finally back togther *sigh*). I already have my pump upgraded. I am curious to know who runs what for FPR's, Fuel managment, etc... how well do they work, what you like, what to stay away from? yada yada. Thanks.

the car is a 1gen.

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2005, 11:05:59 pm »
Your best bet would be an Apexi SAFC and a PLX or equivalent wideband 02. If you have the cash I'd get an EGT guage as well.
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2005, 12:10:29 am »
Cheap and common are Logger and SAFC

Wideband and EGT are more expansive and serve their purpose well, besides that chipped EPROM ECU or AEM EMS.

But since you are running only 550s you don't need much

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2005, 01:12:41 am »
For tuning your newly begotten fuel you will want a SAFC or better piggyback or standalone ECU. if you get a SAFC or better you won't really require any AFPR with your setup as you can just tune the injectors to fire less under the higher pressure, that is until you're running a bigger turbo at high boost, unless you get even bigger injectors. Get it? not me, I lose myself. :roll:

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2005, 10:19:47 am »
What the other guys said.  Logger and SAFC will make it run well.  Do some searching though and figure out how fast you ultimately want to go and then figure out your budget and make the two match, you might want to step up to a standalone right off the beat to save buying everything twice.  SAFCs and other piggy backs can make you go pretty quick tho (low 12s).
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline TroyHill

« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2005, 06:10:51 pm »
Thanks for the insight guys. I have a logger and EGT, so I think the next step will be an SAFC and I will go from there.

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2005, 02:59:15 am »
overrunning the stock fpr makes tuning quite difficult, and a walboro 255HP will overrun the stock regulator.

The best afpr around is the aremotive setup, although I used an OBX (so does Toor) with no problems.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT