Author Topic: wheres my boost?  (Read 1131 times)

Tony Esposito

wheres my boost?
« Reply #15 on: January 15, 2005, 12:39:52 pm »
well the noises are always. a couple friends suggested that it might be a couple fins broke off and are being spun around in there, so maybe fixable if they didnt cause too much damage already.

does that sound like a possibility? but outta curiousity what is involved in replacing it with a bigger turbo if thas what it comes down to

Offline James Coutu

wheres my boost?
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2005, 05:22:02 pm »
It sounds highly irregular for a turbo to work fine and just stop without any signs of failure so it doesn't sound like it just broke. Check it out before you dump a lot of money into it.

Jess, Ivan and James, what makes you guys give a diagnosis like his turbo is "going" with so little information? Also, since it's "going", what constitutes as "going"? Is his center cartridge seized?

it just sounds like the same thing as mine right before it went it was fine then i got the sounds like little rock spinning around in the turbo before you knew it i was blowin smoke out my exhaust. and then when i replaced the turbo everything was back to normal. after all this was just a suggestion. im not a certified machanic so i couldnt say for sure.

tony have you taken you intake pipe off to check to see if the fins are all there or to see if there is anything in it also is your air cleant clean or packed with dirt and/or bugs
8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
wheres my boost?
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2005, 10:36:41 pm »
Quote from: "Aaron Moore"
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
 Is he out of boost fluid?

Jovan, bring two of them for me tonight.  The Big ones.

He has to overnight those from Japan.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Tony Esposito

wheres my boost?
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2005, 10:42:48 am »
Quote from: "James Coutu"

tony have you taken you intake pipe off to check to see if the fins are all there or to see if there is anything in it also is your air cleant clean or packed with dirt and/or bugs

i havnt yet no like i said in an earlier post im not to smart on what im taking off so exactly what are you refering to? but as for the dirt/bugs i can understand if that makes you loose boost but the noise too?

knowing my luck im pretty sure ill have to replace the turbo after its all said and done...

Offline Andrew Scott

wheres my boost?
« Reply #19 on: January 17, 2005, 03:32:17 am »
If anything got into your turbo, it would have blown out of it instantly, same if any fins broke: the boost pressure would blow them into your intercooler.

Do this: Take off your air intake pipe. GENTLY stick your finger into the turbo inlet, and see if the wheel spins. If you can get any light in there, visually inspect the turbo fins for any damage.

If the turbo doesn't spin, the center section is cooked. If there is alot of 'play' (the wheel moves around in and out or side to side), again, center section.

If you have damaged blades, your situation can get far worse: an unbalanced turbo wheel will eventually make contact with the housing and destroy itself. The peices will get sucked into your intake tract, and there is a chance that they could be sucked into your engine causing catastrophic failure.

In either of the above situations, you will need a new turbo. Replacing a turbo is a drop in affair, if you buy a drop in turbo :P
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
wheres my boost?
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2005, 10:27:42 pm »
Quote from: "Andrew Scott"
If there is alot of 'play' (the wheel moves around in and out or side to side), again, center section.

Andrew is correct, however, alot of 'play'  is relatively subjective.  A certain amount of play is normal (I know, I rebuilt my turbo - and yes it still works).

If in doubt, get an expert opinion from Kinetic or L&R.......
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8