Author Topic: clutch master problems!!!!!!!!!!  (Read 873 times)

Offline Paul Chernoff

clutch master problems!!!!!!!!!!
« on: January 11, 2005, 03:33:41 pm »
Ok got some major problems here, here's the story, it all started yesterday when i was driving up to cypress mountain to go snowboarding, got up top and i couldnt shift, checked a few things, found the master cylinder was leaking, drove home with no clutch, lordco finally found me one a few hours later, installed it last night out in the snow. Bleed the system, cant shift while its running, bled the system some more manually, still the same, got out the vacuum bleeder, used up another bottle of fluid bleeding, still the same, bought a speed bleeder valve today and tried that used up 2 more bottles of fluid, still the same, tried adjusting the master some more, got a little better but im at the end of the rod for adjustment, then snap, the rod popped off and bent so now im screwed, questions are, 1. would the rod length be different between the stock master cylinder and the one i got from lordco? cause i didnt have it adjusted that far and it shifted fine before. 2. Would it be possible to pull apart the new master i got and swap the rod out of my old one? or should i just try to bend it back?

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2005, 02:39:58 pm »
kinda lost now, i dont know what the hell to do. Straightened out the rod that connects to the clutch pedal, so thats ok now. Still cant shift while its running. If i start it in first with the clutch in, it'll start but the clutch isnt fully disengaged so the car slumbles a bit. Anyone have any ideas?

Offline James Coutu

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2005, 02:51:59 pm »
are your clutch lines fine? check to see if there are any cracks in them aswell. also did you bleed your clutch from the top down or from the bottom up. and im asuming this is on a 1g, al asuming that you have an accumulater. this is just a suggestion on the clutch not disengaging all the way.
8 Mitsubishi Eclipse GSX AWD (6 bolt)
gt30r, AEM EMS, Aem Wide Band, Kinetic Front Mount, 272/272 Cams, 650 Injectors, ported 1g  Intake, tein flex coilovers w/EDFC, 3" turbo back exhaust, Tail 38mm Waste Gate, Balance Shaft Removed

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2005, 02:54:10 pm »
lines all look good, i get no air comming out, i've used about 5 bottles bleeding it now. The car shifted fine before the clutch master started leaking.

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2005, 03:15:45 pm »
Recycle the Fluid!

Get someone to look at the salve cylinder movement when you press in the pedal to make sure it moves freely all the way. If it doesn't and there are no apparent leaks than there is still air in lines or the Master cylinder is not for your car.

Did you visually compare masters to see if they are the same?

I suppose you've bleed the lines from the slave cylinder, whic is a right way to do it.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2005, 05:05:43 pm »
im going to go check the movement of the slave now and see how that is.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2005, 05:44:39 pm »
just checked it, the slave moves from just before the center to almost the end, doesnt hit the housing, i think its not moving enough, cause the farther out i move the adjustment for the master, the better it gets.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2005, 07:10:43 pm »
could a messed up clutch fork or pivot ball mess up a master cylinder? I did a act 2600 last year , clutch fork and ball looked good so i never replaced them. I just dont know what else to do, i dont really wanna pull my tranny out again especially with the weather this cold. When watching the slave, it seems to move correctly, doesnt hit the tranny housing, doesnt seem loose at all.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2005, 07:14:24 pm »
Is the centerline of the fork in the center, or is the back of the boot at just before the center?  Press it towards the passenger side with your hand when you take a look.  If it is at all leaning to the passenger side, or even in the center, you probaly have failure of the release arm since it happened so suddenly, I think the pivot ball is more of a gradual process. How many miles on the clutch fork and pivot ball?  I guess you're running a decent pressure plate to go so fast too, which doesn't help the lifetime of it either.

EDIT: I just saw your post you made while I was making this one.  It wasn't replaced, and probaly has some decent kms on it now eh?  My new clutch actually just arrived today, along with a new pivot ball and fork though. :wink:
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2005, 07:24:44 pm »
im just kinda kicking myself in the ass now though cause i had a brand new fork and pivot ball but returned them cause mine looked ok and i needed the money. I'll try to take a look at the fork tomorrow, i need to warm up, was outside workin on this damn thing all day. From what i remember it looked like it was right in the center.

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2005, 07:26:18 pm »
I was kinda wondering why you brought them back....

Someone bought it right after, though.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2005, 07:31:12 pm »
yeah stupid me, now im gonna be stuck out in the snow pullin my tranny, fun fun fun.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 08:44:25 pm »
Push it with your hand to the side to see if it moves any more easily too.

It happens...  If that's the problem it's good it didn't happen on a hard shift at mission or something.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 08:53:03 pm »
tried moving the fork around earlier, no excessive movement, doesnt really move up and down, moves side to side  a little.

Offline Paul Chernoff

« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 08:09:23 pm »
Ok well i figured it out, it is the clutch fork, when i went to replace the slave today, i pulled the boot off the tranny and i could see where the clutch fork was hitting the tranny housing.