Author Topic: Speedometer/odometer  (Read 913 times)

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« on: January 11, 2005, 11:55:58 am »
Hey all,
  Anyone know how to get the speedo/odometer working without the stock ecu (been removed for aftermarket one)?  I don't know if the 2G TSi and 2G ESi have the same speedo/odometers, but I'd assume its similar...

This is my ecu pin out... http://www.2gnt.com/www/corbin/95ECU.html

Really sucks not knowing how far you went on a tank of gas/how fast you are going.

Thnx,
Ritchie
Jackstand Racing now promoted to Garage Queen

Offline Matthew Giene

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2005, 12:08:20 pm »
What ECU you running?
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2005, 12:21:15 pm »
Wintec3...

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2005, 01:21:49 pm »
The stock tach input is the center (white) wire from the power transistor directly to tach signal.  4 wires, power, ground, backlight, and signal should be going to the tach.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2005, 02:21:05 pm »
someone from 2gnt told me this:
The signal from the sensor is a high-low-high-low square wave just like the cam sensor.

But what does the gauge read?

im trying to figure out if i can go from the speed sensor from the tranny to the gauge cluster directly?...

i cant seem to understand these wiring diagrams enough to see if its pheasible

Factory service manuals are here...  if someone else that understands this stuff can look.
http://www.nochoads.org/files

Offline Martin Raska

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2005, 02:33:20 pm »
The signal from what sensor is just like the cam sensor?  Or do you mean the signal to the tach is just like the output from the cam sensor?

I'm just loading all 540 pages worth of electrical service manual.  I'll see if I can get anything from it.

Ok I'm confusing myself here, there is a lot of contradicting information out there, and I don't want to spread misinformation.

Apparently the stock white wire off the power transistor runs to both the stock tach, and stock ecu.  So check that you still have this wire running to the tach.  This download is still very slow I am unsure of speedometer input at the moment.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2005, 02:48:49 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
The signal from what sensor is just like the cam sensor?  Or do you mean the signal to the tach is just like the output from the cam sensor?

One of the problems with going directly from a sensor to the gauges is that most of the sensors function from 0-12V going to the ecu, whereas the electronic circuits after the ecu only want to see 0-5V.  There are many exceptions to this of course in other vehicles/tachs, but this seems to be the case for our cars.

I'm just loading all 540 pages worth of electrical service manual.  I'll see if I can get anything from it.

My TACH works fine... its my speedo/odometer thats non functional.
They said that the signal from the tranny speed sensor is like the cam sensor.... don't really understand that.

Thanks for your help martin!

Offline Martin Raska

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2005, 02:55:02 pm »
Oh ok I got the impression both were not working, but now I realize I just can't read.  That makes sense now that I've confirmed that the center white wire on the power transistor is a direct stock tach input.  I'm going to edit out the confusion in my other posts about the tach input.  I have 20 minutes left in the electrical download.

Offline Martin Raska

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2005, 04:00:52 pm »
How I believe the cars work is there is a reed (magnetic) switch in the dash itself, which is driven by a physical linkage (you can see the square cable that slides into the gauge cluster - I'm sure you've seen this).  Reed switches are easy to damage with improper signals so if you have messed around too much it's possible you've done so.  I personally see no reason why your stock speedometer shouldn't work, unless you have removed too much of your original harness.  It does not appear from what I have read on the links you've given me to be driven by the stock ecu.  The stock ecu just has a input for such things as cruise control, and idle control.  ABS systems use the vehicle speed sensor too, but they are also a seperate unit from the ecu.  So basically you should have 3 seperate systems that use the vehicle speed sensor, the ecu, abs, and instamentation.  There are unfortunatly no schematics in the pages I've seen on the electrical manual, so I cannot tell if and how they are spliced together in any way.

On the link you posted up there, it shows the stock vehicle speed input to be pin 45 into the ecu.  I presume you removed your original harness, and the speedometer worked flawlessly prior to this install?  How much of it did you remove?  You should try and trace what you did and see how it branches out behind the ecu to the sensor.  Again, when I get home I'll try looking at the haynes manuals for my turbo 1g, even though I have no ideas of the difference between the 1g and 2g.

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2005, 04:42:07 pm »
Hey Martin,
  Thanks for all your time and efforts.

Basically, the stock harness is still intact, just not plugged into anything.  The stock ecu has been completely removed, and the harness is just sitting in the engine bay with certain wires vampire tapped to the Tec3.  

Yes the speedo/odometer worked before the install, and since Resnick did the install, and doesn't have time to solve such a trivial thing anymore, I can't go back there.

Could it be as simple as the speed sensor not getting any power cause its nolonger plugged into the ecu?

Thnx,
Ritchie

Offline Martin Raska

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2005, 06:57:16 pm »
I'd suggest improvig the vampire clips at some point.  A friend of mine did his AFC in like that and it liked to shut the car off/run really rough after going over bumps, etc.  I just found this on the archives for reference.  I don't have any experience with the speedometer cable, so I'll leave this to somebody who knows.:

So how does the ECU get speed info?  There is a "reed switch" that
 opens and closes whenever a magnet passes by it.  Your spedometer
 is driven by a magnet shaped like a cross.  As it spins, it drags
 the spedometer needle with it, to the right, against the pressure
 of the return spring.  The faster it spins, the more the needle
 pulls to the right.  It is called something like a "deArsenal"
 movement, and I might have mucked up the details, but that is
 how it works.  So Mitsu put this reed switch next to the magnets
 in your spedometer, and wala!  the ECU now knows your speed.

Two possible causes of your problem.  Your spedometer is unhooked.
 Your reed switch is broken.  Broken wires to reed switch not
 likely.  You can check the operation of the reed switch by
 hooking a continuity checker to some pin on the diagnostics
 connector - check your shop manual for details, in the
 ECU schematic area.

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2005, 11:25:07 pm »
anyone know if this is an accurate reproduction of our speedo?

http://www.stealth316.com/images/stim/tim_08-15.gif

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2005, 08:44:58 pm »
anyone know how aftermarket speedos/odometers work?

Offline Martin Raska

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2005, 08:52:24 pm »
Some at least, work the same as the link you posted, which I will say is an very accurate representation to the best of my knowledge, since nobody else seems to be replying who knows better.

Offline Ritchie Hui

Speedometer/odometer
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2005, 02:05:57 am »
im guessing if no one can solve my problem, i go with an autometer speed sender+aftermarket gauge...