Author Topic: The Ultimate Retarded "Starter" thread(long)  (Read 893 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

The Ultimate Retarded "Starter" thread(long)
« on: January 08, 2005, 04:50:22 am »
Ok, so here it goes......

As of the other day my car wouldnt start. Upon turning the ignition all I would get was a "click" of the under dash soleniods(sp? currently drinkin' off the frustration).  I removed my starter and took it to a local repair shop for a diagnosis of the problem.  They mentioned that my solenoid on my stock starter was faulty tho my starter brushes were worn but still in working order.  Since I was stuck for time i just ordered a new starter from a local parts store.

Upon recieving the new starter I bench tested to make sure it worked the way I tested my stock starter.....yes...I messed up the bench test on the stock starter but with help I realized the "proper" way to do it(grounding of the starter housing was needed).

So anyways, after the sucessfull bench test of the new starter I installed it. After installation,I tried cranking the car with no sucessfull results( I had a recharged battery and even tried a jump start).  Once again only a clicking noise :?

I used a test light on the "S" terminal on the starter solinoid to check for power and was sucessful. Thus telling me that the ignition switch and starter relay were functioning proplerly. What confuses me is why the starter is not spinning?

I can clearly hear the starter solinoid functioning and the gear engauging but not turning. My first guess was that there was a wiring prob with the "S" terminal  power( maybe a flakey connection between the ignition switch to starter relay to starter).....so I jumped the "S" terminal to the positive side of the battery and even a booster battery and still  the same result.

Im at a loss for options to resolve the problem............is there something obvious I'm missing?

Maybe a grounding problem...........any fixes?I already have a couple extra grounds running to chasis(good grounds)  

Some other info I should add.................the battery was warrantied/charged today and the connections are clean.  The wires leading to the starter are in good shape with no visible damage to them.

any usefull input would be greatly appreciated

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2005, 04:57:21 am »
forgot to mention......................would like to thank Jay Layhe and some dumb ass Colt owner for helping me push the ol' dsm for a loooong roll start so I didnt get towed by the local " snow removal" company.  The WWd is home once again.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2005, 04:58:08 am »
Try and get your hands on a multimeter of some sort.  Measure the voltage of the battery when you try and crank it, and then the resistance when you try and crank it from the batter terminals.  This could tell you things about the battery, and the on car starter circuit.  Could also be useful for measuring the quality of your stock wiring.  It sees a lot of current and would not be surprising to see go bad.

Even try throwing the test light on between the two battery terminals to see if it stays lit when you try and start.

Does the positive terminal of the starter have power?  You could test that with the light.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2005, 05:02:11 am »
Ive used a DMM on the terminals upon trying to start the car..........voltage does not drop below 10.6v

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2005, 05:04:07 am »
Should be ok then up there in the tundra fields.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2005, 09:35:17 am »
Can you turn the engine over freely by turning the crank pulley?

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2005, 12:26:24 pm »
I would try inspecting the wiring going into the starter, not the solenoid stuff because it's clicking but rather the big cables that go to the starter motor and make sure they are okay.  Visual test and an OHM test should do it.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2005, 12:29:26 pm »
I know it sounds silly/simple, but are you by-passing the clutch switch?  If not, are you depressing the clutch pedal? :)

the other thing i'd test is what's the voltage the starter is seeing when you try to turn it over? Maybe a bad ground elsewhere is diverting power? Just graspin at straws here...
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2005, 01:03:27 pm »
I agree.... today I'll replace the battery to starter wires with some quality 2gauge wire.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2005, 01:06:11 pm »
I should be working on the starter issues but I caught myself watching your damn Avatar Steelie, nice.

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2005, 01:29:19 pm »
Quote from: "Andrew Steele"
I know it sounds silly/simple, but are you by-passing the clutch switch?  If not, are you depressing the clutch pedal? :)

I've done that far too many times. :x

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2005, 01:32:33 pm »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"
Quote from: "Andrew Steele"

I've done that far too many times. :x

As have I to.......unfortunately thats not the case this time.  When I jump the "S" terminal on the starter Im bypassing the clutch switch and starter relay.  The solinoid is functioning.....the gear engauges......just doesnt spin. Im leaning towards a grounding prob.

Offline Scott Girvin

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2005, 06:02:42 pm »
Update:

I ripped out all of the stock wiring harness for the starter. I replaced all of the three wires.....12guage for the solinoid wire and 2 gauge for the pos and neg. I used proper eyelet connectors and replaced the battery terminal connections as well. Everything is clean and tight ..........still no dice.

my last resort is to pull the starter once again........test it again.....then add a jumper ground from one of the starter mounting bolts to the battery.....any suggestions?

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2005, 09:08:39 pm »
Use your test light between the positive terminal of the battery, and the engine block.  Does it turn on?

Artem Gridnev

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2005, 10:19:21 pm »
it could be started gear or whatever you call it not comming out
if u said u jumped the positive on the starter and that u changed all ground wires
i see 2 posibilities

1 starter went misteriously bad  :roll:
or
2 ur fly wheel dont wanna budge  :cry: