Author Topic: Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts  (Read 476 times)

Offline kuldip gill

Broken Exhaust Manifold bolts
« on: January 05, 2005, 01:45:57 pm »
Looking at the engine from the front my left exhaust manifold bolt seems to have snapped off. I assume it's due to the extreme heat of the manifold and over time the bolt just snapped with fatique.
I now get puffs of white / slight blue smoke when I give it some throttle from that area.
A few questions about this.
1) What's the best way to get the threaded part of the bolt out with the limited space I have to work with?
2) Does the exhaust manifold pulling away from the engine mean I need a new exhaust manifold? or would it still be straight?
Thanks
Kuldip

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2005, 03:34:57 pm »
Take the 'fold off, see how bad the bolt is broken, if it still has some meat left, grab it with wise grips and take it out.

If there is no meat, drill it out, esy-it out or JB-weld it out.

After all if the threads are gone do a Helicoil or retap for a bigger bolt

Art

PS: the bolt seem to snapped off? is it there or not?

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:02 pm »
you said its front left does that mean this is one of your manifold to turbo bolts? or one of the bolts off of you head?  I know that when I swapped my turbo the bolts in the turbo were a biotch and I zip cut one of the heads off just to get the turbo out!
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline kuldip gill

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2005, 04:18:17 pm »
One of the bolts isn't too bad, just the head broke off. I can take vise grips to that. The other is broken well inside so it will have to be drilled out.

Offline kuldip gill

« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2005, 04:22:29 pm »
Quote from: "Matt Fredrikson"
you said its front left does that mean this is one of your manifold to turbo bolts? or one of the bolts off of you head?  I know that when I swapped my turbo the bolts in the turbo were a biotch and I zip cut one of the heads off just to get the turbo out!

No Matt it's not the one to the turbo. It's the far left and the one to the immidiate right of it taht threads into the motor.

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2005, 05:46:40 pm »
JB weld it out?  First time I've heard of that!  Good luck trying to remove a frozen bolt that way :)...

Ezouts and reverse drill bits are the way to go.  Make sure you use good sharp bits.  Hardened steel isn't fun to drill.  And be VERY careful you don't overdrill and go into the head.

Offline Matt Fredrikson

• Who needs a Turbo?
    • http://www.intencity.cc
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 08:12:05 am »
When we put headers on my dads pickup the same thing happend the only way to get it out was to weld a bolt to the existing one and turn it out like that
Team Martuned

02 Porsche Boxster S

Sold - 96 TSi AWD - GT30-11, AEM EMS, 860cc, W/I, all Custom SS pipes, ACT XD, Shep Stage 3

Offline Artem Goloubov

• http://www.evoincanada.com/
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 08:36:07 am »
Quote from: "Kimyee Lai"
JB weld it out?  First time I've heard of that!  Good luck trying to remove a frozen bolt that way :)...

Same as welding, JB-weld might work sometimes when removing a broke off bolt. JB weld is particulary usefull if a bolt/nut head is stripped and located in a hard to reach place, than one would JB-weld a socket on the bolt/nut, leave it overnight, than remove it next day.

Art

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2005, 09:35:51 am »
It might work if the bolt is stripped.  These are broken. :)