Author Topic: timing belt problem  (Read 788 times)

chad macpherson

timing belt problem
« on: December 27, 2004, 01:00:55 am »
k on the morning of X-mass my timing belt went.  my question to you all is what possable damage have i done to the engine and roughly how musch to fix it.  keep in mine that i was on the #1 and doing about 120km/h at the time.  if the price of the repair is too much then i will be selling it as is.

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
timing belt problem
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 01:12:41 am »
Well, I would definitely put a lot of money on 16 bent valves, so a head rebuild, which if done at a shop will cost $1000 min, if you were going that fast, there could be piston damage as well, in which case, you're looking at a rebuild which would cost $2+K. Many people opt for a new used engine, which is about $1000 for the engine plus $500 for installation I believe.

That is painful.  When was the timing belt last changed?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Jess Atendido

timing belt problem
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 01:41:09 am »
that's scary, i dont know when my timing belt was last changed too, i asked kurumaya and they said they have no clue...is there any other way to find out...if not then i might aswell change it now
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Mike Schmid

timing belt problem
« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 01:53:10 am »
I've been pricing engine rebuilds, it ain't cheap.  A JDM isn't bad though.  ~$1500 then swap over your manifold etc and drop it in.  Shouldn't be too hard.  

If you sell it as is part your hood and wheels to make a little more.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Martin Raska

timing belt problem
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 02:00:40 am »
Quote from: "Jess Atendido"
that's scary, i dont know when my timing belt was last changed too, i asked kurumaya and they said they have no clue...is there any other way to find out...if not then i might aswell change it now

You can look at the condition of the timing belt itself on the underside.  Hydraulic tensioners go over time too though among other things.  How many kms on the car?  If it's 100K or more I would change it immediatly.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

chad macpherson

timing belt problem
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 09:23:36 am »
if i sell it everything goes all in one.  i had already put a rebuild in the car and it cost me 4500.00.  I can not afford to do that again

Offline Mike Schmid

timing belt problem
« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 10:41:26 am »
No offence but I think it's time for a new mechanic.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jason Borton

timing belt problem
« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 11:07:35 am »
I've been pricing engine rebuilds, it ain't cheap. A JDM isn't bad though. ~$1500 then swap over your manifold etc and drop it in. Shouldn't be too hard.

Why would you swap the intake manifold? is the jdm manifold more restrictive? also is the price in canadian dollars?
07 Tacoma

Offline Mike Schmid

timing belt problem
« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 11:26:29 am »
IIRC he JDM just adds a bunch of hedache.  Performance wise I think 1G vs JDM is pretty close but the JDM doesn't mount the ignition or something.  I'm pretty sure it's something with the ignition not mounting correctly and having to do something else with it.  Possibly throttle body problems too.  You'd have to look it up.  

It's just easier to swap intake manifolds.  Besides, it's real easy with the engines out of the cars.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jess Atendido

timing belt problem
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 11:39:08 am »
hhhmmm...JDM swap :P i like the sound of that
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline John Hartman

timing belt problem
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 02:27:48 pm »
Chad, see if you can get the guys who did your engine to help you out on this.  There should be some sort of warranty.

I can look at it for you too if you like, just to give you another set of eyes at least.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
timing belt problem
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 02:52:51 pm »
If you were on the highway and didn't turn off the engine within .01th of a second, you have at least a few bent valves.

This scenario happened to me a few months back. Some told me to put on a new belt first and do a compression test. I'm glad I didn't bother. I just tore into the head, found all 16 bent, and did a rebuild.

If you need to do it on the cheap. Look for my rebuild thread, it might give you some ideas.

Offline Martin Raska

timing belt problem
« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 04:02:40 pm »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
Chad, see if you can get the guys who did your engine to help you out on this.  There should be some sort of warranty.

This is important I want to quote it to help him out.  How long ago was your $4500 rebuild?

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
timing belt problem
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2004, 02:44:16 pm »
Yeah, I figured the emphasis on seeking the warranty work was implicit....but in case it still hasn't been driven home enough.

SEEK WARRANTY WORK and be persistant if necessary. Hell take a bat with you if necessarty *jk*...maybe :P

Offline Mike Schmid

timing belt problem
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2004, 04:39:03 pm »
I saw your car parked out front of one of the used car dealers in Chilliwack, what's the word on that?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*