Author Topic: Aluminum (or other alloy) suspension pcs  (Read 756 times)

Offline Jason Gilbert

Aluminum (or other alloy) suspension pcs
« on: December 22, 2004, 07:05:26 pm »
As I also enjoy cornering in the talon, I would like to start shaving some unsprung weight off in the new year. I was wondering if anyone has ever run across lighterweight suspension pcs for the 1G's.

Or, has anyone have the fabricating skills to attempt the creation of such pcs? Know anybody that would?

Just poking around right now, seeing whats out there.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2004, 07:21:05 pm »
What wheels do you plan on going with?
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2004, 07:26:20 pm »
There was a post a while back about talk of making some tubular control arms for a 2G.  Someone had a contact for a guy who could make them.  I think tubular chromoly lower control arms, with fully adjustable hiem joints, tiens, poly bushings, sway bars, and a set of brakes with aluminum hats and aluminum calipers would be a nice setup.  Throw on some uber light wheels wrapped in good rubber and it should handle.

That said I haven't heard of any replacement 1G suspension parts except for springs/shocks and brakes.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2004, 07:29:49 pm »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
That said I haven't heard of any replacement 1G suspension parts except for springs/shocks and brakes.

Jovan and I have briefly discussed possibilities.  There are just way too many good ideas I need to make a priority list.  Getting into composities would be cool.  8)
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Chris Clark

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2004, 07:45:13 pm »
Polk makes chromoly LCA's Kmembers etc.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2004, 07:57:30 pm »
Wheels will be as light as possible, within a budget (see where $5.00 gets me!) I would like to go with volks, but will probably have to compromise some weight and go with enkeis. Reasonably light (the right model) and long standing brand name, balanced with reasonable pricing.

The name of the game is as light as I can afford. Same thing with brakes. As much of the good stuff as mentioned by Mike.

Chris, I wasn't able to find those items on that site. More info please.

As far as the suspension goes, I would like to do something different, and above the brakes/wheels/tires combo.

Mostly, just a question off the top of my head.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2004, 08:45:01 pm »
What I'd like to source are some titanium rotors.  Saw them putting a set on CCR, but haven't been able to find much info on them.  5lb rotors would be awesome! :)

Lightweight suspension pieces are a nice idea, but anything decent will be worth big bucks.  Suspension pieces take a lot of force.  I wouldn't trust my life on Al. tubing suspension components coming out of someone's garage.  There needs to at least be some FEA done, strict quality control etc...

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2004, 08:48:39 pm »
Think we could get enough people together so that someone would tool up to make forged magnesium control arms for the front and back?   :wink:

Ti or ceramic composite rotors would be hella cool  8)
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Martin Raska

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2004, 08:51:23 pm »
Quote from: "Kimyee Lai"
What I'd like to source are some titanium rotors.  Saw them putting a set on CCR, but haven't been able to find much info on them.  5lb rotors would be awesome! :)

This would be nice.  The specific heat capacity is much more favorable too.

Chris Clark

« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2004, 09:33:13 pm »
Quote from: "Jason Gilbert"
Chris, I wasn't able to find those items on that site. More info please.

They dont list them, you would have to send them an email, they would be more of a special/built to order item.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2004, 06:02:57 am »
Thanks Chris.

Yep. TI is good for all sorts of stuff isnt it? I just started hearing about TI rotors on cars. Last one was a skyline. Really though, what would they cost? Anyone know?

As far as fabbing up stuff, what would happen if you just took a stock pc to a fabricator and asked for this in TI,AI or whatever. Maybe an extra gusset/brace or boxed in. If the welds were good, and the material was good, where could the problems come in? We would not be talking about a mass production.  

Speaking of brakes:
Cost for replacing pads on the ferrari enzo: $6000.00
Cost for rotors: $24,000 (ceramic)
Also, factory recommened oil is $60 a liter.

Another place to look for suspension pcs would be someone like RRE. If they didnt have them, they could one off them, or, be able to tell you what would work and what wouldnt. Dollars would be signifigant....

Keep in mind, this is more of a "if I  had A LOT OF MONEY" thread, but still fun to brainstorm.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2004, 07:19:17 am »
Sure he could make the same piece with the same dimensions out of Al, but it wouldn't be the same strength.  It takes more analysis to make sure that the different material strengths are taken into account.  Which is why I say that FEA needs to be done.

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #12 on: December 23, 2004, 06:49:06 pm »
Quote from: "Jason Gilbert"
Also, factory recommened oil is $60 a liter.

Factory REQUIRED oil.  If you don't use the Shell Oil they tell you to, you get no warranty.

Offline Jason Gilbert

« Reply #13 on: December 24, 2004, 07:39:12 am »
Yes, factory REQUIRED oil. Thats what I meant to say. But I did'nt think about the part of voiding the warranty or not getting one. Thats crazy, but I would still have an Enzo.

Kimyee, I appreciate what your saying but what is FEA testing?
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #14 on: December 24, 2004, 08:11:23 am »
Finite element analysis.