Author Topic: gross intake manifold  (Read 698 times)

Offline Michael Cummings

gross intake manifold
« on: December 09, 2004, 11:02:12 am »
My intake manifold is filled with a layer of black goey shit on the inside.  I remember reading about this topic awhile ago, but couldn't find it on the search.  I know its just buildup from being a 13/14 year old car, the intake manifold has never been off before.

I'm just wondering what the best way is to clean the inside of it, I cant remember.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Ivan Skare

gross intake manifold
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2004, 11:49:49 am »
Get some carb cleaner from your local walmart. Haha. It works! I used it on my old Honda manifold and it got it all out. Just let it sit in there for a while then take a pressure washer to it.

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
gross intake manifold
« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2004, 02:36:36 pm »
Quote from: "Ivan Skare"
... take a pressure washer to it.

I'd hope you would do this w/ the intake mani OFF the car ...
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Jess Atendido

gross intake manifold
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2004, 02:48:59 pm »
get one of those sprays that disolves carbon deposit
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Mike Schmid

gross intake manifold
« Reply #4 on: December 09, 2004, 02:58:00 pm »
With the mani off the car I sprayed it ful of carb cleaner, let it sit, hosed it out and did that a few times.  Got most of it out.  It's just my spare mani anyways but to finish cleaning it up I think I'm going to use the parts washer and fill it up, plug the ports and shake it, drain and repeat.  Worked on my IC.  Pressure washer with some biodegradable soap of some sort should work good too.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Michael Cummings

gross intake manifold
« Reply #5 on: December 09, 2004, 03:08:36 pm »
Yes andrew I was talking about cleaning the inside of it out, not the outside, so it would be off the car.

So carb cleaner and hose it out? I thought a rememered someone saying they let it sit in an alcohol bath or something .  What about gas?

Just dont know if carb cleaner is strong enough, its pretty thick crap.  I'll try it out though thanx for the input.
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
gross intake manifold
« Reply #6 on: December 09, 2004, 03:21:31 pm »
The cause is very likely a combination of valve stem seals, crankcase ventalation, and exhaust gas reciurculation.  Biggest thing being worn out valve stem seals, at least it was for me.  And I took some engine gunk or something and sprayed it in and hosed it out with it off the car.  I did it several times, letting it soak for a while each time.  Carb cleaner and enginer cleaner is very strong stuff.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Michael Cummings

gross intake manifold
« Reply #7 on: December 09, 2004, 04:49:25 pm »
The car wasn't very well taken care of before i got it.  And recently have new pcv valve, done the crankcase breather, and had the head rebuilt.  So I should be good once I get it all cleaned out, looks like carb cleaner it is then.
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
gross intake manifold
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2004, 05:29:14 pm »
i'd try engine cleaner mike, that stuff is crazy it cleans grease and oil like you wouldn't believe, i have some Gunk brand engine bright or whatever its called and couldn't believe how well it cleaned.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Jesse Veitch

gross intake manifold
« Reply #9 on: December 09, 2004, 06:26:06 pm »
any type of degreasing agent will work fine... rim cleaner, carb cleaner, whatever... as long as it's not acid base (some rime cleaners are) a garden hose might not do it for ya though, blast it out at a car wash stall with the pressure washer, but don't let them catch you doing it  :wink:
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Mike Meron

gross intake manifold
« Reply #10 on: December 09, 2004, 06:29:43 pm »
proper solution os to either buy a magnus intake with NO EGR and use that, or get your OEM one extrude honed then add a egr blockoff plate. that will keep the sludge from ever returning as well as removing the pcv system from the car.
as for aircare if the engine is good it will pass without egr.

Offline Michael Cummings

gross intake manifold
« Reply #11 on: December 09, 2004, 07:53:01 pm »
yea egr block off plate has been done.  extrude honed and/or magnus is too much $$$ for a broke ass such as myself.

I was going to eliminate the pcv and have it breath into the same catch can as the other crankcase breather, but then someone was telling me that it was a bad idea, i cant remember the reasoning behind that.
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)

Offline John Hartman

gross intake manifold
« Reply #12 on: December 09, 2004, 09:27:46 pm »
use a good toothbrush or brass bristle brush with the carb cleaner
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
gross intake manifold
« Reply #13 on: December 09, 2004, 11:26:14 pm »
Quote from: "Michael Cummings"
I was going to eliminate the pcv and have it breath into the same catch can as the other crankcase breather, but then someone was telling me that it was a bad idea, i cant remember the reasoning behind that.

I think you running an leak (unaccounted for airflow) in the system by just having an open crankcase breather like you are now is a worse idea.  The reasoning behind the pcv elimination being a "bad idea" is because you will loose the vacuum to kind of suck things out of the crankcase.  I think it has merit, some say no, but I will agree with them that with modern oils and the oil change intervals most use it should not be of concern whatsoeer.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Kimyee Lai

gross intake manifold
« Reply #14 on: December 09, 2004, 11:39:51 pm »
To me routing the crank case vent back into the intake made idling a lot nicer...I don't really appreciate smelling BBG.  I do have an oil separator in line, so at least it's not getting oil into my turbo.  I think the other issue with not having the preturbo connection to the crankcase vent is also high crank case pressures.  Oil seals typically don't like that...