Author Topic: Interior redo  (Read 2338 times)

Offline Mike Schmid

Interior redo
« on: November 22, 2004, 01:17:45 pm »
Story first, skip to the bottom if you just want pics  :p

My 1Gb Talon is burgandy, with a charcoal grey leather interior.  Arguably the nicest factory 1G interior, I think so.  I thought it was missing a little something though and wanted to spice it up a bit, plus I can't leave anything alone... that and I needed a subbox, and if I have to build a subbox why stop there?  So I drew a little inspiration from luxury cars, classic trucks and started working.  I thought the faux marble was a good complimentary match for the interior and that the cherry was a good contrast with the interior but also a good match for the exterior.  Everything is real cherry hardwood, with a cherry stain and a 7 coat expensive professional finish that's been holding up real well.  I've done lots of furniture and cabinets in this finish but I wasn't sure how it would take the temperature extremes in a car.  Anyways, on with the pics:

I was going for the look of a classic truck's wood planked bed.  I couldn't locate any small stainless strips so I just jointed with a small vee.  Here's a closeup:

Seats still fold down and there's still quite a bit of storage:

Out of the trunk and on to the interior; I took a page from Marty on the door panel:

I made my own shift knob, first time on a wood lathe too  :P

And to bring some up front... which was way too much work, and ended up with some ugly spots, I'll redo it when I can find a second cluster surround, notice the oil guage:

Overall I'm pleased, still a little work to do yet.  Dave St Denis and John H saw how apart the car was before this went in.  I had the carpet out and shampooed it, not professionally but it still came pretty clean.  I washed all the interior panels inside and out, wired in the stereo and WI with all factory wire routing, not just lift the corner of the carpet and stuff it in.  I perma wired in my logger so the white wire is turned on with a latching relay, this way my ABS never turns off.  I still want to redo the headliner because it has a dirty spot and a little cigarette burn in it.  I'm very happy with the Autometer oil pressure guage, worlds better than stock.  I managed to get the stereo in, the subbox, amp etc and not really loose much of any cargo space.  There were compromises, like the sub box is real thin for low weight but it sounds good enough for me.  Weight wise the car is probably porkier than ever... but maybe not by much.  I added six 2' x 3' sheets of sound deadener in the rear fenders, doors, and floorpan which quieted down the ride nicely, and the floor in the back is pretty heavy but then I also lost the spare tire and jack... Oh well, go fast with class, it ain't a tin canned Honda.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Interior redo
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2004, 01:19:45 pm »
Wow dude! That looks freaking AWESOME!

I love the classic wood look, looks really nice in the trunk and door panels.

Good job :thumbs:

Offline Scott Girvin

Interior redo
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2004, 01:20:07 pm »
WOW.. :thumbs: ..original with class...PERFECT!

Offline Mike Schmid

Interior redo
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2004, 01:23:30 pm »
Thanks guys   :D

I've always liked the look of wood trim on high class luxury cruisers and it occured to me I've never seen it down on a custom car.  They're all custom bright coloured vinyl or tweed in hot rods or something, I wanted something a little more subdued.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
Interior redo
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2004, 02:24:32 pm »
Love it man - especially the hatch sub, sweet!
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Mike Schmid

Interior redo
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2004, 03:45:03 pm »
there's a big dome in the bottom side of the sub box to house the infamous AWD hump, hehe.  Otherwise I was going to try and stick it in the passenger corner.  But this way I can still fit two large duffel bags in a V facing the front of the car.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
Interior redo
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2004, 04:33:52 pm »
holy CRAP!!!  That is some VERY good craftsmanship there Mike!  I have never seen anything like this on a Talon. IMNSHO..I take the sub comment back... heh. I guess subs can be somewhat classy.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Graeme Shaw

Interior redo
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2004, 04:36:48 pm »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
Thanks guys   :D

I've always liked the look of wood trim on high class luxury cruisers and it occured to me I've never seen it down on a custom car.  They're all custom bright coloured vinyl or tweed in hot rods or something, I wanted something a little more subdued.

Dammit, why does everyone go all stealing my ideas :(

Offline Cole MacDonald

• Cardomain
Interior redo
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2004, 04:42:15 pm »
Very nice!!:shock: I can't wait to see it in person.
1990 FWD Laser 240 FWHP
1993 AWD Laser, 2.4L GT35r powered 562 AWHP
2014 Ram 3500 6.7L Cummins
2012 Skidoo Summit X 800 E Tec 164HP

Offline Matt Demick

Interior redo
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2004, 05:57:20 pm »
wow man good on ya. thats very talented Mike. Keep up the good work
0' Eagle Talon TSI AWD, JDM 4G63 6/4 Bolt,DSM LINK, X-treme FMIC, 16G/20G Hybrid, Tial BOV, MBC @22psi, 255 Walbro, GM Maf, 680 injectors, WEB 264 Cams, SS Header, 2.5" TurboBack with O2 Elliminator, Tail 38mm External Waste Gate, Fidanza flywheel, ACT 2600 race clutch, and Fidanza Race Shifter

Offline Andrew Scott

Interior redo
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2004, 01:36:34 am »
Wow Mike, I'm very impressed. Here I was thinking that the trunk in those cars was too small to do anything nice with. Your car is AWD correct? Amazing.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Interior redo
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2004, 04:50:07 am »
:agreed: That looks pretty pro :thumbs:

Offline Kimyee Lai

Interior redo
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2004, 08:04:21 am »
Heh, that looks AWESOME!  All you're missing is the radio surround and a few accent pieces on the dash :).  The trunk is pretty darn cool.

Offline Jess Atendido

Interior redo
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2004, 09:32:19 am »
wow the trunk on that 1g looks bigger than a 2g...damn! i give u props for that...awesome work...2 thumbs up for u buddy
and a t25 will say, in a wee girlie voice "I am too small, please put me on a D16"

08 Infiniti G35S - current/weekend
96 Civic Si - current/daily
96 Civic EX - Sold
97 Acura EL - Written Off
98 Civic B16a - Sold
96 Civic EX - Sold
98 Jetta VR6 - Sold
02 WRX - Sold
99 Jetta VR6 - Sold
99 Eclipse

Offline Mike Schmid

Interior redo
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2004, 12:39:05 pm »
Quote from: "Kimyee Lai"
Heh, that looks AWESOME!  All you're missing is the radio surround and a few accent pieces on the dash :).  The trunk is pretty darn cool.

I was thinking about that... I've been trying to come up with a way to add a little more in the dash.  I made DIN sized pocket above the radio, doesn't show up in the pics, it's also cherry but you can't see it because it's always shaded.  Turned out to be useless whenever the throttle is applied to but hey...  :roll:

I've been toying with the idea of putting discs of cherry veneer behind the HVAC controls but then I'd like to get vinyl cut to replicate the factory symbols and I don't know if I could get vinyl cut small enough.  The other thing was maybe putting a 2" high by 1/2" thick by whatever the width is strip of cherry above the glovebox on that flat face of dash.  I'm not sure if it'd be too much though and I'm hesitant to drill the dash because so far everything else could go back to stock leaving no visible holes or anything.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*