Author Topic: thinking of not running a muffler, feedback is key right now  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

thinking of not running a muffler, feedback is key right now
« Reply #15 on: October 18, 2004, 11:28:10 pm »
mike great thinking, i'm goin that way easy to chop an exaught thats homemade cuz it costs next to nothing  :D, oh it feels so right haha
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline Jesse Veitch

« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2004, 04:16:38 pm »
I'd go with a resonator, no cat, and a straight through muffler....

as for engines not needing back pressure, that isn't true, you'll get more low end torque out of a talon with backpressure... but it's not worth it in the high revs to do that... however crotch rockets (a lot) actually have exhuast valvles that keep backpressure in the exhaust at lower rpm, and as the engine revs faster they open up...
97 TSi AWD
92 TSi AWD 6/4 bolt - Sold

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #17 on: October 19, 2004, 06:25:49 pm »
Is it to make backpressure or to optimize the exhaust size at a lower airflow rate?  At any rate, backpressure hurts scavenging by making it harder to clear the cylinder of hot, burnt, useless, used up mixture.  The more of that stays in the cylinder the less fresh, clean, new power making air fuel mixture you can fit in the cylinder.  

Nathan, if you want options you can flange everything and have a cat or test pipe and a tailpipe with muffler or tailpipe with no muffler then it's just a bolt on bolt off affair to reconfigure your exhaust.  Then there's not even cutting or welding to switch it up.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2004, 08:04:40 pm »
mike thats what i was thinking, quick and easy, and for the whole aircare thing to, need all the goodies taht they want to see
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #19 on: October 19, 2004, 10:33:49 pm »
If I were to build myself another 3" exhaust, it would include a highflow cat and a resonator (along with the dynomax straight thru muffler).

Stinky exhaust and the drone can get a bit irritating after awhile.....

The highflow cat and resonator wouldn't really impede performance (very much), but be a little easier on the ears and nose.......
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Emerson Thomas

exhaust
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2004, 06:39:49 pm »
I had a 2.5" Side exit exhaust right before the drivers side rear tire. I loved how you could hear the turbo spooling, but as soon as full boost hit, it was as if all hell broke loose. I am getting a new exhaust built soon, I think 3" turbo back with high flow cat/test pipe, and resonator, but no muffler. i like the no muffler sound that comes from these motors, but wot all the time or on the highway is just a little much.
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #21 on: October 21, 2004, 01:40:28 am »
Like Chris said, the next exhaust I build will be complete with all those parts. The noise gave me a headache while on the highway, and attracted alot of unwanted attention. Straight through canister mufflers are a joke, they don't muffle anything.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT