Author Topic: thinking of not running a muffler, feedback is key right now  (Read 1663 times)

Offline Nathan Tralenberg

thinking of not running a muffler, feedback is key right now
« on: October 18, 2004, 08:31:04 pm »
Finished my 3" exhaust, and wondering if the high flow cat would provide enough back pressure for the engine, or i a muffler one of those things i cant get around??
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2004, 08:54:34 pm »
Backpressure is not an issue with these cars.  Only reason you'd need to run a muffler is *gasp* to actually muffle the sound!  Oh, and those pesky cops.

But then, you're in Mission, so who knows if they'd even care.

« Reply #2 on: October 18, 2004, 08:57:41 pm »
doesn't the turbo take alot of the sound away from the exhaust. so it doesn't sound like one of those hondas (sounds like a bunch of pissed off bees)???
991 plymouth laser(sold)
1995 eagle talon tsi - Kinetic FMIC, Garrett 50 trim, 660, AFC2, evo manifold, 3" turbo back,greddy type-s BOV, KL water injection

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #3 on: October 18, 2004, 08:58:47 pm »
No.  If anything it adds to the noise.  Yes, it's being spun by the exhaust gasses, but it's also feeding in a lot more in to the intake.  The MVAR also specifically states that a turbo is NOT a valid replacement for a muffler.

« Reply #4 on: October 18, 2004, 09:01:44 pm »
oops thanx for clearing that up. :D , with out a muffler i will run a cat but if for some strange reason i do run a muffler a straight pipe is where i would be headed. so it sounds like i can get away without a muffler, and i hope the little to no back pressuredoesn't rob me any horsepower :idea:
991 plymouth laser(sold)

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #5 on: October 18, 2004, 09:03:19 pm »
"Backpressure" is your enemy in a turbocharged car.  It prevents spool.  Spool is good, because it means boost.  The more your exhaust flows, the faster and better your turbo spools.  The more your turbo spools, the more air you get.  Capisce?

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2004, 09:08:15 pm »
graeme you are so right, awesome hah so i could even go with a straight pipe to. (no cat) hmm something to think about got the winter before it comes back on the road,
                                         thanx
991 plymouth laser(sold)

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
« Reply #7 on: October 18, 2004, 09:13:56 pm »
The turbo does muffle the sound considerably.  It is far from a replacement for a muffler and does feed a lot more air through the exhaust, but it sure does quiet things down compared toa  n/a car.  I have been running mufflerless on a stock exhaust for 6 months now, well my car has not been on the road for all of them, but that's when it fell off.  I have not had any problems as far as law enforcement and such go, because it is fairly quiet much more so than a typical aftermarket muffler on a n/a car, but I also try and refrain from driving like a tool in the city at all.  The car does start to get quite much much louder as the turbo spools and wastegate opens.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2004, 09:17:07 pm »
hell i'm in mission. city? wheres that?,needless to say the noisee isn't a issue. and it helps the spool so all good from my eyes.   :shock:
991 plymouth laser(sold)

Offline trevor_Shiggs

« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2004, 09:59:45 pm »
i ran no muffler for a while. when i got mine put back on it felt slower.  i liked no muffler. i know a guy with a sr20 240 and hes running no muffler.
1G TSI FWD
Ford Tech

Offline Jared Clark

• http://Vancouver240.com
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2004, 10:02:34 pm »
I ran a straight pipe for months... It wasnt much louder than with a muffler. Idle sounded pretty nice too, I'd say go for it!
ormer owner of a '93 AWD
Now: 1989 240SX, 13.5@107
        1990 240SX, 12.4@114

« Reply #11 on: October 18, 2004, 10:03:48 pm »
I like the feedback thanx guys, well looks like a straight pipe from end to end for me  :D
991 plymouth laser(sold)

Offline Miles Frederick

« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2004, 10:51:36 pm »
Personally, I didn't enjoy running mufflerless, long drives pretty much always resulted in a headache.

I'm currently running two Ultraflow mufflers in-line at the moment and no cat.  Boost creeps like mad, yet nothing but the sweet sound of spooling :)

Without mufllers it was reasonably quiet at idle and low throttle, but rediculously loud at wot where I spend alot of my time  :laugh:
91 TSI AWD
91 Laser NA

"A car without turbo is a car with perpetual lag"

Ds-map / Jackal, highly recommended.  I've been running it for the last 3 - 4 years.  Amazing improvement in throttle response and overall power under part throttle conditions, and that was with the old maf still in place for 2 years.  Amazing tuning platform in my opinion, and best of all free.

« Reply #13 on: October 18, 2004, 10:55:31 pm »
thanx for the info miles
991 plymouth laser(sold)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2004, 11:20:46 pm »
1. engine's don't need backpressure, it's a myth.  The best exhaust has very little to no backpressure.  However, yes a 5" exhaust doesn't work on a 4 banger either, why?  the piping is too big and slows and cools the exhaust too much and then piles up in the pipes creating backpressure.  Anyways, on a turbo the less restriction you can get after the muffler the better for performance.  

2. The turbo will muffle the exhaust a fair bit, but a turbo still isn't a muffler, I've never heard a talon without a muffler though so I don't know how loud it would be.  I have a 3" with cat and a magnaflow straight thru muffler and I like it, alot.  

3. If you made the exhaust yourself then make it with no muffler and a test pipe.  Then you can just bolt a cat in, furthermore, it'd be seriously easy to take off the last section of pipe and put a muffler in instead.  Then you can find out exactly what you want.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*