Author Topic: Replacing belts... might need help  (Read 381 times)

Offline Richard Nazar

Replacing belts... might need help
« on: October 17, 2004, 05:03:19 pm »
Is it possible to replace the belts and the water pump (if it's broken) without taking the engine out? This is probably a stupid question, but it's not lookin like an easy job right now in my garage (I've obviously never changed the belts before). If it's kinda hard and time consuming to do this work I wouldn't mind paying someone who's done it before to come over and do the work for me. I just don't have the time to be working on the car for hours trying to figure things out right now and I want to get it back on the road asap.

Thanks

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2004, 05:20:54 pm »
I know you can do it in the car.  Look in the VFAQ for good instructions.  There are people on the board that can do it well and quickly, but I'm not one of em.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Trevor Robinson

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2004, 01:37:13 am »
Plan for a day's downtime and make shure you have a jack to move the engine up/down a bit (helps with the clearances for tools/hand's)

Like john said the vfaq is good. (have used it and done it)
rowing old is mandatory, growing up is optional!!

Offline Richard Nazar

« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2004, 03:55:36 pm »
Well, it doesn't really matter anymore cause I'm gonna do the timing belt along with everything else now, so it's turned into a way bigger job. I just got a chance to take a good luck at the car today and found that the water pump is screwed up good. The pulley moves all over the place...

Offline Matthew Giene

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2004, 04:07:23 pm »
I know it can be done without taking the engine out.  Tommy did the water pump 3 times on my last Talon.  Never did he have to remove the engine.

There are some good sites explainig hot to do it yourself.  After wateching Tommy do it a couple times, it looks like an easy enough job to replace the belts and water pump.
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2004, 04:42:51 pm »
it is easy, the limiting factor is room to work.

one of your best friends will be a set of racheting wrenches for the pulleys.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)