Author Topic: looking at buying a dsm, but have a question....  (Read 461 times)

Anonymous

looking at buying a dsm, but have a question....
« on: October 10, 2004, 05:46:51 pm »
Hey guys,

I am currently looking at purchasing a 91 talon tsi awd, but it has some issues.  it has been sitting for a while and now seems to be running quite rough.  it idles like ass and under full throttle only puts out about 5 psi.  

i can hear a hiss under wot, so i attribute that to a boost leak.  the car also bucks alittle sometimes and the power occasionally cuts out under wot as well.  

so, my questions are:  could all these problems be attributed to a boost leak?  also, does it sound like the car just needs a tune up and a little tlc, or does it sound like more of a major problem?

other than that, the car is great.  the engine looks really clean, the tranny is smooth as butter. brakes, suspension, etc all seem to be good as well.

any help or advice would be much appreciated.

thanks,
James

Offline mitchell hamilton

« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 08:24:41 pm »
The only way to truly know is take it to one of the guru shops and have them check it over costs about 60 bux and is a very good piece of mind.
90 Tsi AWD, 4 bolt LSD-Fresh rebuild
Eibach's, front-mount,ACT clutch,Wally 255,FPR, 3inch Turbo Back, In Black Cherry.

Offline Matthew Giene

« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 09:24:58 pm »
As stated before, take it to a shop that knows the cars.  THis way they can also tell you if it is worth it....

I made the mistake before and it cost me large......
Matthew Giene
2001 Infiniti QX4 (I'm a BALLER Baby)
1996 4Runner Limited (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (US Model) (RIP)
1991 TSi AWD (RIP)
1990 ESi (Sold a long time ago)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Re: looking at buying a dsm, but have a question....
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 12:07:16 am »
Quote from: "James Pugsley"
could all these problems be attributed to a boost leak?
Yes, but only a freakin-huge one. Like a coupler completely off.

It could be many things though, like MAS failure, bad gas, bad plugs, bad wires, complete engine death, etc, etc. Good luck on it.

Find out, don't tell them and score a deal. That's how i got my car.  8)

Offline Anthony Binga

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 01:56:08 pm »
Quote from: "Matthew Giene"
As stated before, take it to a shop that knows the cars.  THis way they can also tell you if it is worth it....

I made the mistake before and it cost me large......

agreed, i didnt get mine checked out and it cost me dearly. still recovering from the costs
992 Eagle Talon

Ivan Skare

« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 02:50:39 pm »
If you get it for cheap I suggest you buy it and give it a full out tune up. You should give close attention to what the colors of the exhaust gases are, if there are any leaks, and how well the tranny shifts.

Anonymous

« Reply #6 on: October 12, 2004, 12:25:40 am »
thanks for all the advice guys.

i played with the car and found the boost leak.  turns out that the car used to have a boost gauge on it.  when it was taken out, they left the hose connected so half the boost was being lost.

the poor idle came from a vacuum hose that was disconnected.

anyways, the car runs much better now and is good to go.

i am very happy to report that i now the proud owner of a dsm again.  i can't believe how much i missed my old one.

thanks again guys,
James