Author Topic: AC removal  (Read 1079 times)

Tim Smith

AC removal
« on: October 03, 2004, 03:47:36 pm »
is there any weight, or any kind of difference removing the ac from my car? whenever i turn it on i can feel a decrease in power, so wuts the use of having it. and if i do take it out, will the defroster not work or anything like that:?? anyoen done it or know anything about this?

*its never even hot enough to actually use it anyways, month or 2 a year*

Offline Leon Hui

Re: AC removal
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2004, 03:55:47 pm »
Quote from: "Tim Smith"
is there any weight, or any kind of difference removing the ac from my car? whenever i turn it on i can feel a decrease in power, so wuts the use of having it. and if i do take it out, will the defroster not work or anything like that:?? anyoen done it or know anything about this?

*its never even hot enough to actually use it anyways, month or 2 a year*

There is weight savings, like at most 100lbs or so..
But your defogger will not be as effective anymore at removing the fog from the windshield..
Got BoOsT?

Tim Smith

AC removal
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2004, 04:18:13 pm »
but that's basically it, air will still come from my defrosters, just not air conditioned air? is there any other possible reason i'd need to keep it in my car.

Graeme Shaw

AC removal
« Reply #3 on: October 03, 2004, 06:03:19 pm »
Summer.

Offline Mike Schmid

AC removal
« Reply #4 on: October 03, 2004, 07:30:14 pm »
Lots of cars some stock without A/C and can defrost the windows just fine, the heater core is still there so you'll still have heat.  You just lose the condensor (cooling core) in the ventilation system.  Running them both (heater and a/c) defogs the fastest but it still happens with just heat.

I don't know what the weight savings would be but it's probably substantial.  Alot of work to take everything out though, keep that in mind.  Evap core (in front of radiator), compressor pump (below intake mani), and all the lines that run all over the engine bay could all come out.  The condensor core could probably come out too but I don't know if it can come out seperate from the heater core, it should, I've just never done it so I can't be certain.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Leon Hui

AC removal
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2004, 12:20:22 am »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
it still happens with just heat.

Have you tried defogging with just using hot air?  All your windows fog up immediately.   :shock:

I don't like driving with the a/c defogger on, but can't help it..
Got BoOsT?

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
AC removal
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2004, 12:27:26 am »
Quote from: "Leon Hui"

Have you tried defogging with just using hot air?  All your windows fog up immediately.   :shock:

Use cold air.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

Offline Mike Schmid

AC removal
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2004, 02:07:16 am »
I've defogged the windows just fine in the middle of winter in alberta saskatchewan and bc without a/c, that said I like the a/c though, it does do alot better job.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jacky Ng

AC removal
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2004, 03:45:57 am »
Quote from: "Martin Raska"

Use cold air.

A/C automatically comes on with the defogger for 97+ cars.
97 TSi AWD (SOLD)
95 ESi (RIP)

Mark Ergetowski

AC removal
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2004, 08:24:55 am »

That's why your window fogs up when your A/C is NOT on. All the moisture that rots peacefuly in the condenser is being blown away and onto your windshield. The cure? Turn the A/C on, catch more moisture and the dance goes on. Simple, eh?

BTW, I've tried to explain it to my w/f, bah.

Tim Smith

AC removal
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2004, 09:53:06 am »
guys i appreciate the help, but i dont really care about defogging my windows, i can open my window, or blow some cold air on, doesnt matter, only thing im intersted in is the weight of the a/c and the power decrease, cuz when i turn it on i can feel the horsepower decrease. and everytime my windows foggy, i gotta turn on the defroster, which turns on the a/c, which slows me down. so wut do u think ? remove or keep it.

Offline Michael Cummings

AC removal
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2004, 11:43:17 am »
correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that when you turn on the a/c and you can feel the power decrease it means that you need to recharge your a/c.  It's not supposed to be like that (the power decrease), but I know that 1g's are fairly notorious for doing this with their a/c, and it has to do with the style of a/c that the dsm's use.  You need to get it recharged and then it will work perfectly and it won't bog the car down anymore.  It's pretty pricy from what I can remember though.

And if I remember correctly from a page of dsm parts weight the entire a/c system weighs about 45lbs if you take every piece out.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Aaron Moore

AC removal
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2004, 12:21:34 pm »
Quote from: "Michael Cummings"
correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that when you turn on the a/c and you can feel the power decrease it means that you need to recharge your a/c.  It's not supposed to be like that (the power decrease), but I know that 1g's are fairly notorious for doing this with their a/c, and it has to do with the style of a/c that the dsm's use.  You need to get it recharged and then it will work perfectly and it won't bog the car down anymore.  It's pretty pricy from what I can remember though.

My system was redone, and I still notice the decrease.
2 TSI AWD 16G
95 TSI AWD GROUND BLINGER
98 SPYDER EVO 16G
99 GS400 PIMPED TO THE MAX
2005 300C up and on....

Mark Ergetowski

AC removal
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2004, 12:27:20 pm »
Quote from: "Michael Cummings"
correct me if i'm wrong but i'm pretty sure that when you turn on the a/c and you can feel the power decrease it means that you need to recharge your a/c.  

A/C requires some (not so small) amount of power to run. It's a quite powerful fridge after all.

Tim Smith

AC removal
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2004, 03:13:48 pm »
oh aaron you got yours recharged and it still lags? shittttty. like i dont wanna spend alot of money on something that doesnt really do anything for me. afterall, there will always be a decrease in power since its running off the engine plus using up my gas. i think its time for mr a/c to go byebye  8)