Author Topic: Tranny Broken? --- Nope it's the T-belt --- Rebuild Time  (Read 1989 times)

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
Tranny Broken? --- Nope it's the T-belt --- Rebuild Time
« Reply #15 on: July 24, 2004, 07:05:41 pm »
So now I'm toying with the idea of going 2.3L or even tossing the old block and going 2.4L.

I'm just starting to dive into all the info out there but it sounds like instead of just a rebuilt 2.0 for a few hundred more Why not go stroker?

2.4 in a FWD? this guy hates his new tires :twisted:

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #16 on: July 24, 2004, 07:13:06 pm »
If you're going 2.3L, talk to Chris about what parts you need.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
« Reply #17 on: July 25, 2004, 10:26:17 pm »
Quote from: "Jeremy Clarke"
for a few hundred more Why not go stroker?

The cheapest way would most likely involve a stroker crank from a wrecker and of course, custom forged pistons put into your stock 4G63 block.

The source car would be a 90-91 2.4L Hyundai Sonata with the G4CS block.   The pistons would be from Magnus.

Not sure what the wrecker would charge, but Magnus pistons are $575 USD.  

EDIT: That link is for 4GCS pistons, but you'd need a slightly different design with with the wrist pin located 6mm higher if you want to use the 4G63 block.

You can probably get a reman crank for $250-300 USD.  Graeme can sell you a brand new stroker crank for I'm guessing $600 CAD.

Sorry, but stroking it will be at least $1000 more.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #18 on: July 25, 2004, 11:30:04 pm »
It'll certainly cost more to stroke but depending on the internal condition of the motor you might need new pistons anyways.  

Plus stroking the motor is a mod too, not just a fix, so that helps justify the cost if the rebuild has to be done anyways.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2004, 11:11:17 pm »
Quote from: "Mike Schmid"
depending on the internal condition of the motor you might need new pistons anyways.

Yup, need new pistons. I took off the head today and found that I know own a buch of new paperweights, four pistons and a complete cylinder head. :) JOY!

6 of my intake valves are so bent they sit on visable angles to the head and my exhaust valves, though not too bad visably, left obvious gouges into the pistons. So, it's all got to go.

I took pics of all the damage but my Shaw webspace is full, so I can't post them yet.

I don't think I'm going to stroke it after all, thanks for the reality check Chris and others, It's just not worth it for me. I am most likely going to get the rods modded and use the 2G pistons though.

Any idea what shop charge should be for that?

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #20 on: August 05, 2004, 02:33:41 am »
Well being true to my Ebay bargain hunting self, I bought this rebuilt head and these Nippon Racing pistons:

I found such a good deal on the pistons that It killed my plans to get the higher compression 2G ones ($155CDN after shipping on those). I've also ordered some King Racing rod and main bearings from the piston guy. Bearings were an extra $115 CDN for both sets shipped. The head will end up being about $350 CDN after the dust settles and I return the core but it's fully done and has a 1-year warranty. I hope I don't have to find out if the warranty is worth anything. ;)

I think I'm doing OK so far. Even though I'll probably still get taxed on all of it when it reaches the border. I've even got a good deal on a new radiator pending.
Now I've just gotta order the belts and gaskets from Graeme. Hope I'm not too late.

In case anyone is interested, here are the links to the guys I bought this stuff from. So far both have been quite easy to deal with. I'll keep you posted.
http://stores.ebay.com/J-and-C-Cylinder-Head-Exchange_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm
http://stores.ebay.com/guit-guits-Performance-parts_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #21 on: August 12, 2004, 12:01:53 pm »
My pistons, rings, and bearings arrived today. UPS didn't even bleed me because the seller sent them as "samples"
The above picture doesn't even do them justice. In fact it's not a picture of the exact pistons. They are very nice looking though. I can't wait to start punnishing them. :P

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2004, 07:21:29 pm »
awesome deal man! hope your back on the road soon!
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #23 on: September 03, 2004, 01:08:21 am »
I'M BACK BABY!!!!!!!

It took a week longer than scheduled after some issues with the valve cover and a general lack of time, but thanks to Permatex Gasket Maker and Heli-Coil, I'm back driving the Laser.

After some priming, It fired on the second crank and after a few puffs of blue ran pretty well. I haven't had it past 3000RPM yet obviously. I'm Following a strict break-in schedule obtained from the Overboost website. It sure does want to go though. I can really tell that all the porting I did has had big impact. Boost wants to come on strong right at 2000, I have to hold it back :cry:

I've been driving quite a bit tonight, put on 150k already. So far, no leaks, no  oil loss, not even much quirkyness to speak of. I think I actually pulled it off. :D

*edit* That's 150 KMS smartass :laugh:

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #24 on: September 03, 2004, 01:22:39 am »
Nice work Jeremy I'm proud!

You must be driving quite a bit to put on 150,000 kms in one night! ;)
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #25 on: September 03, 2004, 10:16:17 am »
Thats awesome man, I cant wait to check it out.
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #26 on: September 03, 2004, 01:25:58 pm »
wish i was there to see it man! next summer i'll have to check it out
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #27 on: September 03, 2004, 02:32:49 pm »
Thanks buys.

Oh, BTW I invented a new tool. I call it, "special tool part #XYY1337
It's a pencil shaped tool milled from brass, with one rounded end and one flat screwdriver end. Very handy for removing main bearings without removing tranny or crank. The rounded end slips up the oil hole in the crank and the oil hole on each bearing is used to "spin" out the old bearings. Then the new ones are spun in by hand and seated with a tap from the blade end.
It's an old trick but now I have the "special tool" patent pending :laugh:

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #28 on: September 03, 2004, 05:45:54 pm »
Very well done man, congrats  8)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #29 on: September 13, 2004, 02:40:44 am »
Well, almost 1000kms on it now, so far no issues aside from a pesky dripping oil return line which I plan to fix tomorrow along with oil change number 2 and the last one where I will have to use "dino-oil" . It also has a boost leak but i think that only being able to hit 10psi has worked to my advantage thus far with the gentle break-in. :wink:

BTW: Don't deal with that cylinder head guy. Although his heads seem quality, I've had to file fraud charges against him with the IFCC for refusing to give me my core refund based on the fact that UPS screwed him over on the return shipping cost. :evil: