Author Topic: guage hook up q's  (Read 882 times)

Offline Trevor Engelsmeier

guage hook up q's
« on: April 20, 2004, 12:33:16 pm »
i am going to be hooking up 3 guages, and just had some questions.  

1) can i run three guages and a radar detector off of the cig lighter? if not where is a constant on source other then that?  shoudl they be hooked up in parralel or series.

2) when hooking up the light in the guage, should i run them in series or parralell? ( going to hook up to dimmer swich like the v-faq)

thanx for any replies
trevor
o more DSM, 1990 JDM MR2 GT - Turbo (T-Top) on the way

Offline JamieSibley

guage hook up q's
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2004, 12:46:43 pm »
the cig lighter will supply more than enough power for a few gauges.

hook everything up in parallel, all the red wiers tied together and connected to the cig lighter, all the blacks tied together and hooked to ground.   And all the illumination lights tied together in parallel and hooked up per v-faq.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Andrew Scott

guage hook up q's
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2004, 01:47:09 pm »
It depends what kind of gauges. If they are electronic gauges, I wouldn't do it. I run my EGT off of my stereo, and when it gets loud, I can watch the needle bounce with the music.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

guage hook up q's
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2004, 08:28:59 pm »
they will be simple mechanical guages, except fer my EGT (when i get it) so should i find another source for that one? or will only having one electrical guage be fine with the other two mechanical

thanx guys  

trevor

Offline John Hartman

guage hook up q's
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2004, 08:50:58 pm »
If Jamie says it will work, it will, but follow Andrews advice on the EGT.

However, there are lots and lots of power wires under there to draw from man.  Hell you could even run your own wire if you had to.  Make sure the grounds are good, the wires are solid with as few joints as possible and the connections are good.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Andrew Scott

guage hook up q's
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2004, 11:41:58 pm »
If you want to be really safe, use a relay. Power wire straight to the battery, and the signal wire from an accessory circuit.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline Mike Schmid

guage hook up q's
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2004, 01:44:21 am »
I found an empty terminal in the fuse block under the dash that goes hot with ignition, a male spade connector plugs into that and goes to a small block of fuses, one of those fuses supplies my guages with power.  Works good.  

I ran my guage lights off a splice from the "light" wire in the stereo harness... problem is it's just a switch.  I neglected to remember that the stock radio dims independent of the dash dimmer.  Use the VFAQ and hook the guage lights up to the dimmer switch so they dim properly.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

guage hook up q's
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2004, 05:04:15 pm »
for the guage light, I ran it from the light that is in the fog light switch.  Or one of those buttons in there, yea VFAQ it.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

guage hook up q's
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2004, 05:10:03 pm »
so just to be sure, the Cig lighter has a constant power supply, even during cranking?? cuz u need that for a boost guage to find '0' right

thanx

Offline John Hartman

guage hook up q's
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2004, 07:13:10 pm »
most boost guages are not electronic, they work off engine vac.  The electric part is just for the light.

Unless you have some sorta blingin Greedy or HK$ one, then forget what I said, it MIGHT be electronic.

Offline Andrew Scott

guage hook up q's
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 02:28:26 am »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
most boost guages are not electronic, they work off engine vac.  The electric part is just for the light.

Unless you have some sorta blingin Greedy or HK$ one, then forget what I said, it MIGHT be electronic.

Even electronic gauges have mechanical senders  8)

guage hook up q's
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 09:57:45 am »
k, so i got my boost guage hooked up, really clean install.  now, i thought that at idle it should read vacuum, then at deceleration, it should read more vacuum.  mine isn't so.  it reads 0 whenever my foot is off the pedal, idle or slowing down.  if i slow down, but still have my foot on the pedal a lil, it reads some vacuum.  it reads boost fine, i get 12-11 psi. (bcs mod)  

I have it hooked up to one of the three solenoids on the driver side.  (its hooked up to the one closest to the passanger side, the tube that goes to the intake, all balck tube)  and was just wondeirng if that is the right spot.  

anyways

thanx

trev

Offline Martin Raska

• http://www.FormulaUBC.com
guage hook up q's
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 12:49:32 pm »
Yeah you should be reading vacuum at idle and ~30mm Hg minus intake losses so 26-28mm Hg under full deacceleration.  Sounds to me like you have it hooked up to the upper side of the solenoid?  The solenoids only open under positive pressure so that is why you are reading atmospheric normally.  Hook it up to the lower side and everything should work correctly.
url=www.paypal.com/xclick/business=martin%40raska.net&item_name=Martin+Raska+is+a+swell+guy&no_note=1&tax=0&currency_code=USD]Now accepting donations![/url]

guage hook up q's
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2004, 01:54:21 pm »
well, there is a tube that comes right off the itake, near the fuel rail, that goes to the last solenoid.  i have the T in betweent the manifold, and solenoid.  is that the right place??

i could T it off near the throttle body, but this way there is less nylon tubing runnin around in the engine bay

trev

Offline JamieSibley

guage hook up q's
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2004, 03:38:04 pm »
I had mine leak out the fitting on the back of the gauge. It read almost 0 at idle, but showed some readings while on boost. That could be your problem.

Sounds like you are tee-ing off the fuel pressure solenoid, as long as your tee is on the piece of tube that connects directly to the manifold, then thats the right place.

try pulling the tube off the intake, and hooking the gause tube up directly and idle the car, dont driving it like that though.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.