Author Topic: ECU Questions!  (Read 1649 times)

Offline JamieSibley

ECU Questions!
« on: April 14, 2004, 02:12:14 am »
If someone was going to build a stand-alone ecu, what features would you guys like to see?

- RPM switches, is 2 enough, 1 for turning off the a/c, 1 for a shift light

- Compund switches?  Where you can set the TPS and RPM point that an accesory turns on/off  For NOS, WI, maybe the A/C too.

- Full spark control, with adjustments from 40* BTDC to 100* ATDC?

- Interanal 10 Minute, 20 Sample/Second datalogger?

- Security system, where you have to press the clutch, and gas pedal in a pattern to enable the ECU?

- an output to use a stock gauge as a knock gauge?

- GM MAS based or MAP based?

Whatever you guys want, let me know.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

ECU Questions!
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2004, 11:59:28 am »
sounds like a neat project.  That sample rate seems a little low though.  Also, make it MAP based.  One of the reasons of going to a standalone is to get rid of the pesky MAF.

A few things that come to mind are...

- Gear dependant fuel maps.  Who doesn't hate having the car perfectly tuned for third gear and have ~20 counts of knock in 5th :x

- Use of a 2g knock sensor.  Physically the same dimensions of the 1g, but more sensative

- Anti-lag system.  What would you do without studder boxes? :wink:

- no crappy pseudo 3d maps like the Haltech.  It would be cool if it had an adjustable 3d map that you can visualize

that's all I can think of for now.  I'll post more as it comes to me
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline Bobby Grewal

ECU Questions!
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 12:41:18 pm »
I noticed none come with a boost control. Maybe that could be an option...
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
ECU Questions!
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2004, 12:55:09 pm »
How about some PWM circuit to modulate a water injection solinoid to fine tune water delivery.  I guess this can also be used as boost control.
all go, no show!

Offline Andrew Scott

ECU Questions!
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2004, 03:37:32 pm »
EGT and wideband O2 input for datalogging
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline John Hartman

ECU Questions!
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2004, 05:44:21 pm »
full injector compensation, with dead time etc.

Basically take all the goodies that any of the ECU chips do, and any of the goodies of the other stand alones and throw em togeather.

gotta plug into the wiring harness tho, no friggin around if possible. Of course if you are gonna use a MAP sensor then that would have to be wired in.

Different maps would be nice too, like a 91 octane map, a 94 octane map and a race gas map. Plus maybe an aircare map and a valet map.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

ECU Questions!
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2004, 08:14:23 pm »
Boost pressure in the datalog too.  I hate not being able to see what my bost is when I review a datalog.  

Oil pressure input?  To activate a safety kill alarm or limp mode or warnign buzzer/light in case of oil pressure drop.  Actually encorporating a full alarm setup would be nice.  Have a light/buzzer for overboost, low oil pressure, high EGT, high knock, high water temp, etc.  
User settable alarm parameters would be sweet.  

Also triggers for the datalog. ie: auto log above 5000rpm
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline John Hartman

ECU Questions!
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2004, 10:04:30 pm »
those triggers are a good idea Mike :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Jerry Hong

ECU Questions!
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2004, 10:19:17 pm »
all of these options.
 :D

http://www.autronic.com/sm2ecu.html

Offline JamieSibley

ECU Questions!
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2004, 12:56:31 am »
I see 26 options listed on the autronic page. I'll include everyone of them... for $125 each/option.  If your looking to pay the mother of all
prices, you'll get the mother of all stand alones...... but for the rest of us ;) there is this project.

Here is a draft of what could be included:

4 or more fuel maps, selectable from a dash switch or from switch mounted to the shift lever to detect a certain gear.

A studder box,  with the cluch in or a button pressed, activate a 4000 or so rpm rev limiter ( adjustable)

An oil pressure limp mode,  when there is no/low pressure, activate a really really low rev limiter

A second injector channel, with its own fuel map to run a WI injector or suplimentry fuel injectors

An autolog function,  probably best tied to the TPS, logs above 90% or something

A WB o2 interface,  not a complete WB02 controller, but an interface to log A/F and do closed loop mode from it, all the way to WOT

EGT:

Probably not,  type K thermocouple compensators are  expensive and hard to set up.  RTD ( aem style ) probes are way simpler to impliment and use but they are slow and very pricey ( $160 US I think)

The aux analog inputs will be able to read and log voltages fron external type-k probes if they are connected to external type-k converter boxes ( there are available on the net, not cheap though $150 US)

BoostController:

Probably not, a very crude one might be implimented, but something comparable to a EVC would be better left to being a stand alone unit

more sugestions are welcome:
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Bobby Grewal

ECU Questions!
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2004, 01:06:09 am »
One concern would be an eprom ecu. That seems to be a hastle sometimes because there hard to get a hold of and are very pricey. Something that works with out an eprom ecu would be awsome. I dont know much about ecu's and stand alone's its just a thought that ran through my head.
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline JamieSibley

ECU Questions!
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2004, 01:20:25 am »
This will be a stand alone ecu that works in your car no matter if you had a stock ecu or what type it was.. It will probably be designed to fit in the stock ecu housing for cost reasons. And will most likley be able to download new firmware versons right into the ecu without  changing chips or sending in the unit.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline John Hartman

ECU Questions!
« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2004, 05:35:37 pm »
sounding dang good man :)

Offline Wade Carlson

ECU Questions!
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2004, 06:56:54 pm »
wen will this be available? :D
Had a DSM...........sold it............ never been happier

Offline JamieSibley

ECU Questions!
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2004, 01:26:54 am »
Well...... soon I hope.

I already have in my room, working, that does fuel and spark control.

My MAFT project got so involved that it became a stand-alone.  Not even by choice really, I just kept adding features and debugging code, and one day it did everything it needed to, to replace the ecu completly.

All I need to do is add a few refinements and throw 'er into the colt and see if it'll run.

Isn't it just amazing how little projects turn into huge monster projects?
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.