Author Topic: 1g 2g swap  (Read 934 times)

Offline Lawrence Hahn

1g 2g swap
« on: February 10, 2004, 06:26:25 pm »
um....i was reading a lot about putting a 1g 6bolt into a 2g and i found out lke..what parts u need etc...but i was wondering how much this would cost approx?  cuz i couldnt find that anywhere...  and..im too lazy too look so how much hp on a stock turbo 1g?  and lastly...i heard that 1g's are easier to mod and get more power outta them compared to a 2g?  how so?  details would be appreciated..thanks again everyone =)
awrence

Graeme Shaw

1g 2g swap
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2004, 06:36:00 pm »
A lot.

Offline Lawrence Hahn

1g 2g swap
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2004, 06:53:14 pm »
a lot? haha..u bum..thanks for the help =p

ohhh..and another thing...if i swap the engine with a 1g turbo on a 2g does it have to be with a turbo? like...2g turbo-->1g turbo? or can it just be 2g non-turbo--->1g turbo?
awrence

Graeme Shaw

1g 2g swap
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2004, 06:56:28 pm »
If you're swapping engines, you always should go turbo->turbo, and an NT->NT swap is impossible,  as the 4G63 is the NT engine in 1Gs, and the Neon's 420A is the engine in the 2Gs.  Uhm...don't know what else to tell you.  "cept it's expensive.  But I think I covered that.

Offline Bobby Grewal

1g 2g swap
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2004, 07:00:26 pm »
to do the swap its not a striaght swap...you gotta get some miscellaneous parts...still gonna cost a couple grand!....www.magnusmotorsports.com ....they have the complete kit last time i checked.
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Lawrence Hahn

1g 2g swap
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2004, 07:27:01 pm »
yupyup..i already read their whole website almost..so much info on swapping and crankwalk =p  hehe..but i mean they dont have the price...so i was just wondering if anyone knew here~~~  i was guesssing maybe like...3-4gs?? but i got no clue~
awrence

Graeme Shaw

1g 2g swap
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2004, 08:18:00 pm »
I'd say probably half that in parts (if you get used) and about that much in labour.  I'd double that figure if you're buying new and getting it installed.

Just a guess tho.

Offline Matt Feist

1g 2g swap
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2004, 04:10:26 am »
Id stop by Top End Turbo in cloverdale. Frank there did the 6 bolt swap on my 2g. He will give you some tips Im sure. Be ready to add a potentiometer too btw. Get a 10k from a electronics store or wherever. It looks like a radio dial its a little ugly but she works. You can find the information on installing this on the magnus website. :)
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Lawrence Hahn

1g 2g swap
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2004, 10:04:39 am »
what the heck is that and what does that do?  what is a 10k? r they expensive?
awrence

Troy Simkus

1g 2g swap
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2004, 10:43:22 am »
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
what the heck is that and what does that do?  what is a 10k? r they expensive?

You should not attempt the swap if you cant find this answer on your own. Not to be harsh, it's just territory you dont want to go into un-prepared.

Last i checked a full-swap, labour parts everything was 4-5g?

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
1g 2g swap
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2004, 11:24:43 am »
Quote from: "Troy Simkus"

Last i checked a full-swap, labour parts everything was 4-5g?

My whole car was almost $4k  :roll:

I had a 7-bolt NT Talon - Sold it for $5400 and bought a Laser Turbo 6-bolt, I actually made about $1400 in the trade  8)  - But lost the body of the 1gb Talon to the 1ga Laser (the $1400 will pay for a body-kit is my line of thinking)

I was in the same situation.

I really wanted a Talon 92 - but the market was grim for one that was actually in good shape and a 6-bolt
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline JamieSibley

1g 2g swap
« Reply #11 on: February 13, 2004, 12:38:01 pm »
My 1g 2.4L into a 2g project is gonna set me back about $1K in parts, and weeks and weeks of labor.   I'd say to have someone else do it with a used 6 bolt motor would be $3-5K.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Matt Feist

1g 2g swap
« Reply #12 on: February 13, 2004, 02:02:49 pm »
Im with Troy here Lawrence, this is not easy stuff to do, Talk to Frank if you need the job done , he does a great Job , not too pricey either..'

Btw a potentiometer is only 2 bucks or something, but dont let that fool you about how easy the job really is. Its just a small peice of a puzzle.
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Mike Schmid

1g 2g swap
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2004, 02:52:04 pm »
Plus if you're going to do it yourself and haven't done any mechanical work before well a) this is too big a project to cut your teeth on, you'll have to move engines and transmissions around and they're large heavy items, do it wrong and get you'll get hurt or break something important.  b) you'll need tools, if you're starting from scratch expect to pay at least $1000 for the tools needed to do the job.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Lawrence Hahn

1g 2g swap
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2004, 10:37:12 am »
oohhhh...nono..im not doing this myself..im sure u guys know by now that i nothing very little bout engine work...so yeh...i got a shop that has done this before...i just havent really asked them yet about price and stuff..since i havent even sold my car yet and bought a 2g..so just wanted to know how much u guys thought it would cost me approx~
awrence