Author Topic: auto to standard?  (Read 808 times)

Offline Lawrence Hahn

auto to standard?
« on: February 09, 2004, 12:14:28 am »
ok..ive come across a lot of auto cars that seem to be good buys..but i dont want auto and id rather wait patiently for a good standard talon/eclipse to come along..but i just wanted to make sure with all u knowledgeable folk that switching from automatic to standard is a waste of my time and money rite?  k..thanks~~  a price estimate would help =)
awrence

Offline Mike Schmid

auto to standard?
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2004, 12:43:28 am »
It's a whole heck of alot of work.  Many thousands of dollars in parts and labour.  Not worth it.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Scott

auto to standard?
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2004, 12:54:07 am »
I'd wait. Too much trouble, and there are too many good cars out there, you just gotta wait!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Kevin Chan

auto to standard?
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2004, 01:05:50 am »
besides.. auto and manual in these cars have so much differences...
ie: turbo?
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Graeme Shaw

auto to standard?
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2004, 02:38:30 am »
Dude, only the 1Gs had a different turbo.  In the 2Gs, the only noticable difference was exactly that...either auto or manual.  They were both powered by the T25, as opposed to in the 1G, which was powered by the 14b (manual) or the 13g (auto).  Really, the only difference is a clutch and 1 more gear.

The problem for you, Lawrence, would be that you're buying this car...only to spend more on a conversion to an eclipse, and then even MORE to convert it to manual.  Keep your costs as low as you can :)

Offline Kevin Chan

auto to standard?
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2004, 07:34:26 am »
I know only 1gs have different turbo... i said that cuz I forgot he wants a 2G. :roll: also... the other stuff that's different... how you drive it.... and there's a econo button?
oh well.. it's just the driving pleasure you gets....
o___0"
98 UZS160 hovering on air

Offline Mike Schmid

auto to standard?
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2004, 07:35:35 am »
Graeme makes a good point there.... If you're going to buy a Talon auto then be prepared to keep it a talon auto.  You want a Mitsu/5 speed though, so buy what you want, expecially because you said you're a noob, so it means you'll be buying labour.  

To buy a Talon auto and convert to a Mitsu stick and to stay in your budget you'll be looking for an older, higher mileage, worse shape talon, then immediately spending many thousands of dollars (6+?) to turn it into a high mileage eclipse with a whole hodgepodge of parts in it.  

Instead you should buy a better condition, lower mileage eclipse 5 speed that is what you want.  You'll be happier that way.  Either that or just decide that you're happy with a 2G period and get a talon or eclipse.  Personally, I like the styling of the late 2G talon better than any of the other 2Gs, but that's just me.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Lawrence Hahn

auto to standard?
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2004, 12:10:25 pm »
thanks everyone =))
awrence

Graeme Shaw

auto to standard?
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2004, 01:12:08 pm »
Oh, and a peice of advice for you, Lawrence.  DO NOT BUY FROM KURUMAYA.

FYI ;)

Offline Steve Stasiuk

auto to standard?
« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2004, 02:24:03 pm »
... or Miracle Auto :grim:

Just buy a 5spd.
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Sold)

Offline Lawrence Hahn

auto to standard?
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2004, 10:12:48 pm »
haha..yeh ive seen miracle auto and kurumaya auto in the buy and sell heaps!  why not buy from them?  not that i was going to anyway..too much of a rip off~ ><  maybe kurumaya means rip off in japanese =p
awrence

Offline Kimyee Lai

auto to standard?
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2004, 10:39:01 pm »
Hey, at least with an Auto you won't have to worry about crankwalk...much. :)  Although I would probably prefer a manual...heck, I got this car as an auto so my wife could drive it more easily, and so I wouldn't mod it...but it has responded quite well to mods, and I don't have an oversized left calf from holding the 2600 down in traffic.  :wink:

Offline Steve Stasiuk

auto to standard?
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2004, 02:04:58 am »
Hmm... maybe I should just give in and mod mine and be happy with it. It's low mileage, looks awesome when it's done out a bit, and is running great now. If only the auto --> 5spd. "mod" was cheap. :(
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Sold)

Troy Simkus

auto to standard?
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2004, 02:14:55 am »
auto + boost is cool

Offline Bobby Grewal

auto to standard?
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2004, 02:47:50 am »
Kuruma = Car ...i took japanese for a couple years...but i wouldnt buy from them either...I would buy from me lawrence ;)
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy