Author Topic: lowering is so complicated!!  (Read 824 times)

Offline Ravi Gill

lowering is so complicated!!
« on: February 05, 2004, 09:55:18 pm »
For someone of a budget of lets say $600-700.....what would you do to lower the car 1-1.5 inches?  I know you should eventually buy a new set of shocks to go with the springs because the stock shocks will get fubared over time.  I was checking ebay and this page showed up:

http://search.ebaymotors.com/search/search.dll?GetResult&category1=33590&st=2&lotr=1&sortproperty=metahighestpricesort&from=R2&query=eclipse&categorymap=6028&catref=C3

Should I buy Shocks and Springs seperately? I can get Eibach Pro Kit springs almost new for around $240 CDN.  That leaves me with $400 for the Shocks which doesnt seem like much?  WHat would you do? Should i save more and spend more?
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Merlin Beerens

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2004, 09:58:50 pm »
save more
url=http://gallery78402.fotopic.net/c223558.html]1992 Eagle Talon TSi AWD[/url]

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2004, 10:03:18 pm »
if your thinkin of springs i can vouch for my eibach sportlines..2 inch drop..awesome springs
but yea save more for good shocks
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2004, 10:04:40 pm »
How fast can you save?

I think it's about $750 for a set of koni yellows or comparable shocks... Your stock shocks won't last long on drop springs.  Also factor in that you need an alignment after spring installation, then that you need it again after shock installation.  Not to mention paying for labour twice if you can't do it yourself.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Ravi Gill

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2004, 10:35:30 pm »
So all you guys with lowered cars spent around a grand including labour??  That's so much :(
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2004, 10:46:18 pm »
Well, a set of KYB GR2s is cheaper than that but they're not a whole lot more shock than what comes stock... When I upgrade my GR2s it'll be to something alot more serious, like the konis or KYB AGXs.  

Also depends on the drop you go with... more drop is gonna need more shock.  I'm running suspension techniques springs and I like 'em.  They list as a 1" drop, probably more like 1.5" when they settle out.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Bobby Grewal

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2004, 10:47:40 pm »
I payed 400 for my Tokico hp's and they'll do the job  :) ...
QuAlItY Of LiFe Is DeRiVeD fRoM FrIeNdZ, fAmIlY, AnD oNe'S cApAcItY 2 LoVe ThErE cAr. EvErYtHiNg ElZe Is cLAsSiFiEd sEcOnDaRy

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2004, 10:57:35 pm »
you could go the chepo way, and just buy the springs, put them on the stock shocks for now, and save up more money then buy the shocks later.  They are fairly easy to install yourself, I did it.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2004, 11:12:28 pm »
I'm riding on stock shocks

boing boing boing  8)
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2004, 11:21:42 pm »
Quote from: "Dan Harshey"
you could go the chepo way, and just buy the springs, put them on the stock shocks for now, and save up more money then buy the shocks later.  They are fairly easy to install yourself, I did it.

:agreed:

thats what I did, bought the springs.. drove around with them on stock shocks for a year.... then I got aftermarket shocks.....

get the springs... then save up and eventually get shocks

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 11:31:06 pm »
That's what I plan to do too. If you're doing the work yourself, who cares if you need to do it twice? An alignment is only $45 anyway and you pretty much need one yearly regardless.

Don't listen to these deep pocketed guys. Because when you get this, you might aswell get that too, and if you have that, you might aswell get something else....It never ends. Do what you can when you can is what I say. :wink:

Offline Ravi Gill

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2004, 12:38:41 am »
Thanks for the advice people!  Im gettin springs first.  Eibach Pro Kit....1.2" drop.  I'll get the shocks before summer!  Debts will be paid by then!

Deep pocketed is right...haha some of you guys supe up your cars so fast....makes me jealous! :)
9 Eclipse GS

Offline Jeff Chau

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2004, 01:23:25 am »
I don't think it's about having deep pockets. I think it's more about saving you the trouble/hassle/labour of re-installing something twice, when you can save a bit more money now and install the springs AND shocks in one shot. What some of the guys are saying is that if you install lowering springs on factory shocks, they'll wear out really quick. It's gonna ride like sh*t. Then a few months later, you're gonna pull it all out, re-install new shocks, and go through all that hassle again (or pay for labour again if you're not installing it yourself). And when you finally put in your new shocks, you're gonna be so amazed at how much better your car feels. And if you're not Mr. Speedracer-I need the dopest parts-kinda guy, you don't have to buy the Koni yellows. By your own admission, you're getting shocks before summer anyway, so your wait won't be too long. My vote, save, and do your suspension in one shot.  :wink:

Offline Andrew Sturgeon

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2004, 04:47:31 pm »
Lowells got a set of Tein's for 1g. :D

:laugh:

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2004, 06:13:24 pm »
see if you can find a set of used ones, that are all togeather.

Then you just take yours out, put those in and get an alignment

no shop labour involved, due to the springs not having to be seperated from the shocks.

Plus its way cheaper
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods