Author Topic: Cost on rebuilding a DSM engine, or replaing it?  (Read 1779 times)

Offline Phil Robichaud

Cost on rebuilding a DSM engine, or replaing it?
« on: February 04, 2004, 05:49:44 pm »
What would the cost be on rebuilding a DSM engine...with lets say, new rods, rings, main bearings, cam bearings and a slight bore?

and what is the cost on a new DSM engine/a crate motor.

thanks

-Phil
Happiness isn't just around the corner, happiness is the corner"

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2004, 06:25:44 pm »
give graeme shaw an email at mitsu......there a post with the right address.
he can give ya good deals on the parts.
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2004, 06:33:46 pm »
Here's my address in my sig! :D

It's gonna cost a small fortune, though.  I might have to do the same thing myself :(

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2004, 07:29:37 pm »
Stroker!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Lawrence Hahn

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2004, 10:08:21 pm »
k...im not too sure if i can get u a deal..but i know someone who said that for me..they'd drop in a brand new 2g eclipse engine for 3-4k~  so that mite give u a rough idea~
awrence

Offline Clayton Ulmer

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2004, 10:21:07 pm »
If your gonna spend all this money on an engine, you should try to find a 6 bolt to rebuild instead of getting a brand new 2g 7 bolt engine.  Start off with something solid first.  Just my opinon, even though i have never even thought of a rebuild before.
arting out Car, check the parts store for parts and prices!

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2004, 10:28:50 pm »
a 2G motor is a 7 bolt, and will crankwalk on you eventually. Find a 6 bolt block from a 92-down talon, and build that up. A totally done out race motor will cost you close to around $5000 to build just up to the head. You will then need to buy manifolds and a turbo and the rest... I'm guessing $8000 for a race motor by the end of it....

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2004, 10:33:30 pm »
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
k...im not too sure if i can get u a deal..but i know someone who said that for me..they'd drop in a brand new 2g eclipse engine for 3-4k~  so that mite give u a rough idea~

Proper rebuild including re-re starts around $2000 but when you start replacing parts or upgrading and getting block mod work done it climbs fast. You can pay $5000 and get a really nice 6-bolt with many goodies.
A good used engine including re-re will be less but not like my $700 firefly engine installed and tranny days,,,
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Lawrence Hahn

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2004, 10:47:59 pm »
hehe...i have NO clue what any of u guys are talking about..all i know is my goodgood friend said he could get me a new 2g engine from japan installed at around 3-4k ...i have no idea what rerebuild is or..yeh..hehe..sorry~~ like ive said..i know nothing about cars..i just know ppl who know their stuff..and tell me stuff that i probably misquote =p
awrence

« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2004, 11:05:26 pm »
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
my goodgood friend said he could get me a new 2g engine from japan installed at around 3-4k ...

a) It is likely a 7-bolt, don't get a 7-bolt (JDM may be 6 tho)
b) JDM engines are not new, they are used but have low KM (no proof of mileage though)
c) For 3 to 4k, you are much better off getting a 6-bolt block rebuilt - it would be "newer" in condition than a JDM when finished
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2004, 06:42:47 am »
Quote from: "Robin Toor"
a 2G motor is a 7 bolt, and will crankwalk on you eventually. Find a 6 bolt block from a 92-down talon, and build that up. A totally done out race motor will cost you close to around $5000 to build just up to the head. You will then need to buy manifolds and a turbo and the rest... I'm guessing $8000 for a race motor by the end of it....

from personal experience, that's just about dead on figure. For just the head/block/cams it was $6500 for a 1G build-up.

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2004, 03:04:03 pm »
Depends how race you're talking about too, but yeah, that's a pretty good estimate...

If you go to www.crco.com they have a head package for $9700 USD... yes, just the head.  Add $3300 USD for their shortblock and you got yourself a longblock.  Just add accesories, manifolds, valve cover, oil pan, turbo, exhaust, complete fuel system, TB intake pipes, FMIC and you're more or less ready to run, haha.  

Speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Phil Robichaud

that is unreal!
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2004, 03:22:41 pm »
Thats crazy!

the cost of an engine rebuild that is...i could easily put a v8 into my Fiero for that price and have a quick, well handling car.

not saying that talons aren't quick and don't handle well becuase they handle like they are stapled to the road and 210 ponies is some good push, but that is just unreal!

how much would it cost to build a 1G engine to about 250/275 hp?

thanks for the help

-Phil
Happiness isn't just around the corner, happiness is the corner"

Re: that is unreal!
« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2004, 03:33:23 pm »
Quote from: "Phil Robichaud"
Thats crazy!

the cost of an engine rebuild that is...i could easily put a v8 into my Fiero for that price and have a quick, well handling car.

how much would it cost to build a 1G engine to about 250/275 hp?

That is an extreme example but DAMN would that be a nice starting point.  :D

A 4G63 like that spanks the V8 all over the place.

I think the big question for you should really be - why do you need to replace your current engine?
What is wrong with it and who said so?

If you are shooting for 250~275HP, you do not need to build up the engine anything over stock, a few minor mods can get you into this range for minimal money. (intake/exhaust/boost controller etc)
Internal engine work is for those few of us with big dreams of major power 350+++

Depending what is wrong with your engine, you may not need to spend much to rebuild it but I still say be prepared for a minimum of $2000, most likely closer to $3000
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2004, 04:27:48 pm »
rebuilding a 6 bolt with 250 horse..... that will be ALOT cheaper than $8000...

finding a used 6-bolt with crank - $300
2G pistons - lets say $200 to be safe.... you can find them for cheap though...
1Gb big rods - if you find these, you are set... they go for around $500 I think....
Head - you can use the head you have on the car right now, and the manifolds, turbo, etc....

basically, if all you need to replace is the bottom end of the motor, you can do so for $2000 or so if you find all the right parts....... and then use the parts you have now for the top end.....

if you need to replace the top end to... it will probably be another $2000 or so for the head, manifolds, and stock turbo....

and then you have to get the motor swapped in...