Author Topic: Car's got a new bumper!  (Read 527 times)

Offline Kimyee Lai

Car's got a new bumper!
« on: February 02, 2004, 02:03:38 pm »
Hey guys,
Feeling very vulnerable with nothing but an FMIC as a bumper, I finally made a replacement bumper...

It's made out of 1x1/2" steel stock.  Should be able to stand a few hundred lbs force anyway...:)  And now I have a place to mount a license plate mount...

This is after it's on the car, can't tell it's there...

Graeme Shaw

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2004, 02:18:27 pm »
Mad props, Kimyee.  You'd probably have a market for this if you felt like making up a whole bunch ;)  Maybe you should start marketting with Ryan and Mike :D

Dan Powers

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2004, 10:36:33 pm »
Hey man, thats a totally awsome idea you had there.  You can never have too much safety....  Yeah, smart one dude!

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2004, 08:52:18 am »
shit if you were to market those I'd get one for sure!

Offline Howard Hu

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2004, 10:02:26 am »
oh the rebar? nice!
7 silver eclipse GST (SOLD)
05 alpine white wrx

Offline Kimyee Lai

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2004, 03:45:35 pm »
The only tricky part about trying to market something like this is the fit.  Every bumper mount SHOULD be the same, but they are not always.  Different bumpers have different clearances etc...If there is enough interest I could probably get them built at a local shop pretty cheaply...it'll probably take them less than an hour to build one.  The welds on this one isn't very pretty...I'm still practising :).

Offline Steve Stasiuk

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2004, 04:00:40 pm »
That's very cool. I also like how you trimmed the bumper cover so that more of the ic shows. Never seen that before and it looks really good that way. How long did that take?
1995 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (Sold)

Offline Kimyee Lai

Car's got a new bumper!
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2004, 04:43:54 pm »
To trim the bumper?  Oh...about 5 mins :).  It's a long story, but I did NOT trim the bumper to show off my IC.  It was to increase the airflow to the IC/radiator.  Let's just say that a non-return coolant reservoir aka evian bottle, first week with a FMIC, long road trip on the coquahalla and 30+ degrees weather does NOT make for a good combination...I did a rough cut of the bumper in Kelowna, and did a more precise finishing trim in Vancouver.  Took about 1/2 hr with a dremel and a knife.  The stock urethane bumper cuts beautifully with a sharp knife...