Author Topic: crankwalk?  (Read 818 times)

Offline Lawrence Hahn

crankwalk?
« on: January 29, 2004, 11:53:28 pm »
what the hell is crankwalk on the 2g?  is it the crankshaft or somethig like that?? haha..i dun even know what a crankshaft is..anyway..if theres crankwalk..cant u just get a new crank?? and how do u know u have it or not?  k..thanks
awrence

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
crankwalk?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2004, 12:42:40 am »

Graeme Shaw

crankwalk?
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2004, 03:00:43 am »
Hey Lawrence, a good idea when you have some free time is to check out dsm.org, vfaq.com, and http://members.shaw.ca/costall/1000Q/ (the 1000 already answered questions FAQ).  These all have information on a lot of the questions your'e asking, and it makes for a good time waster of a day or two.  Just in case you're interested :)

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
Re: crankwalk?
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2004, 07:30:26 am »
Quote from: "Lawrence Hahn"
is it the crankshaft or somethig like that?? haha..

Never mix haha and crankwalk in the same paragraph. Many of our bretheren have suffered from this evil disease. The cure is costly.
 :cry:
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Graeme Shaw

crankwalk?
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2004, 07:31:22 am »
And not always a cure, in the end.  Like poor brother Afshin.

Offline Lawrence Hahn

crankwalk?
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2004, 10:50:06 am »
thanks..i read the 1000q's website...but i was still wondering...when u drive a car with crankwalk...how can u tell it has it?? like..what are its symptoms??  just wondering what kinda things u guys that have had it have experienced...k..thanks =)  cuz im gonna go look at a 96 tsi way out in chilliwack in a week...and i wanna know what to look for when im driving it...i dun wanna a lemon =(
awrence

Offline Lawrence Hahn

crankwalk?
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2004, 10:50:55 am »
ooh..one other thing..anyone know a good shop maybe in surrey that i can take the car to? to check out the car's engine before i buy it?? to make sure the turbo's alrite and stuff??  thanks again! =))
awrence

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
crankwalk?
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2004, 11:26:59 am »
Top End Automotive in Cloverdale does alot of Talon/Eclipse/Laser work.

He also does crankwalk checks, take it there.
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
crankwalk?
« Reply #8 on: January 30, 2004, 02:33:16 pm »
TAKEN FROM PROSTREETONLINE.COM HERE

Its not easy to diagnose whether or not your car has crankwalk. It can be difficult to tell if a particular car is experiencing symptoms of crankwalk. Some early warning symptoms associated with this problem are :

1. Clutch weirdness, improper pedal pressure, strange disengage and engage points
            2. Ticking or strange noise from the pulley side of the engine when clutch is depressed.
            3. Crank Angle Sensor errors ( check engine light )
            4. Difficulty shifting
            5. RPMS decreasing significantly when clutch pedal is depressed.
6. Clutch does not return or "sticks" to the floor after being depressed

What should I do to check or prevent crankwalk?

1. We recommend using a oil filter from a 1g at all times.. A larger oil filter will provide for better filtration, preventing oil squirters from clogging.
      2. Pay attention to what your car is doing.. keep an eye on your oil pressure, and make sure you perform proper maintenance at the scheduled times.
      3. Keep an open mind about it. Crankwalk isnt something you can control, people get it stock or modded. Theres no bearing on whether mods cause it or not.
4. We always recommend building a 6 bolt or swapping in a 6 bolt. Never build a 7 bolt or swap in a reconditioned one.

In some advanced cases, the car will die when making a left hand turn or will be difficult to start. We recommend checking some of these links below to show you how to diagnose or gather more information.

More information on Crankwalk try these sites: (and don't forget to bookmark their home pages for future as both are great sites and valued DSM vendors)

Road Race Engineering | Magnus Motorsports  

Offline Milad Lari

crankwalk?
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2004, 08:29:35 pm »
ya man take it to Frank at Top End Automotive in Cloverdale....thats where my car got its 1G bottom end put in to prevent crankwalk...
ELL: (604) 763-3312

FS: Tan Convertible Soft Top Cover, 2G Knock Sensor(brand new), Ractive Indiglo Blue Boost Gauge(brand new), 2G OEM Black Power Mirrors