Author Topic: question about reverse gauges  (Read 895 times)

Offline Jeff Rae

question about reverse gauges
« on: January 25, 2004, 05:40:43 pm »
i am looking to get reserves guages for my non-turbo but i know the tachs go up to 8 and some go up to 9 ...mine goes up to 9 ...would it matter if i got them only going up to 8?
does anyone know
thx

jeff
-- 98 Talon ESI --- Sold ---
--- 90 TSI AWD--- R.I.P ---
--- 98 spyder--- Traded ---
--- 95 TSI AWD ---

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2004, 11:08:25 pm »
Anything over 7 is mute since you never want to go past that.

The big thing to watch out for is pacement of the numbers - make sure they match yours exactly...
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph

Offline Jeff Rae

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2004, 11:09:40 pm »
ok cool
thx Marty
--- 95 TSI AWD ---

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2004, 03:20:59 am »
I don't think tachs talk, so ALL tachs are mute.  THe point of having a tach that goes past 7k is MOOT, however ;)

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2004, 11:13:19 am »
Why not get the reverse gauges, then buy an aftermarket Tach, that way you won't have to worry about the numbers matching, and you have a cool aftermarket gauge, and reverse gauges at the same time.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Leon Hui

« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2004, 12:19:00 pm »
Quote from: "Dan Harshey"
Why not get the reverse gauges, then buy an aftermarket Tach, that way you won't have to worry about the numbers matching, and you have a cool aftermarket gauge, and reverse gauges at the same time.

are there any in km/h??
Got BoOsT?

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2004, 12:47:32 pm »
Expensive ones ($~195+shipping) from a place called "Black cat customs"

Offline Jeff Rae

« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2004, 01:43:00 pm »

ya thats wut i was thinking!
ill keep that in mind
thx dan
--- 95 TSI AWD ---

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2004, 02:18:48 pm »

Becuase aftermarket tachs use the same wire tap as the dash tach, and look silly.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2004, 06:18:34 pm »
Quote from: "Andrew Scott"

Becuase aftermarket tachs use the same wire tap as the dash tach, and look silly.

No jeff was wondering what he could do if the reverse tach numbers didn't match the stock ones, so that is why i suggested the aftermarket Tach, as it would still give an accurate reading even if the reverse gauges were off.
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2004, 08:16:55 pm »

No jeff was wondering what he could do if the reverse tach numbers didn't match the stock ones, so that is why i suggested the aftermarket Tach, as it would still give an accurate reading even if the reverse gauges were off.

I may be wrong but I think both tachs use the same form of measurement, one just goes higher than the other, for show.
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!

Offline Jeff Rae

« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2004, 09:00:28 pm »
good piont andrew!
ill check that out and see if they line up before i buy them!
thx guys

I may be wrong but I think both tachs use the same form of measurement, one just goes higher than the other, for show.
--- 95 TSI AWD ---

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2004, 09:04:18 pm »

my aftermarket AutoMeter tach is wired straight... it doesnt go through the dash at all... and if you look at the tachs while holding costant revs.. (lets say 3000rpm) the tach will say 3000rpm and the stock one will say 3500rpm... the aftermarket tach is more accurate as I figured out through testing..... the stock one is usually around 500rpm higher.....

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2004, 10:04:51 pm »
From what I heard another real benefit with the aftermarket tach is response speed.  I guess on a fast DSM if you watch your tach through first it'll keep climbing after you let off and clutch in just because it reacts slow and lags behind the engine.

On a 1G though there's no place I'd stick a monster tach... they're just too big.  A suitably sized autometer tach in the dash replacing the factory dash would be sweet though.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2004, 12:48:47 am »
Quote from: "Robin Toor"

my aftermarket AutoMeter tach is wired straight... it doesnt go through the dash at all... and if you look at the tachs while holding costant revs.. (lets say 3000rpm) the tach will say 3000rpm and the stock one will say 3500rpm... the aftermarket tach is more accurate as I figured out through testing..... the stock one is usually around 500rpm higher.....

You're probably right about the stock gauge lagging a bit, but I'm fairly sure both the dash tach and the autometer tach tap into the same signal, so you are in essance monitoring the same thing with 2 gauges.

I do like the idea of a shift light where my hazards button is though  8)