Author Topic: Engine building guide  (Read 356 times)

Offline JamieSibley

Engine building guide
« on: January 24, 2004, 12:45:20 am »
Can anyone recommend a good book or site for building/blueprinting import engines? I know this isn't the sort of question you want to hear me asking, but I'm determined to build my 2.4 all by myself!
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Jason Gilbert

Engine building guide
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2004, 09:11:04 am »
Hey Jamie. Where do you usually go on the net? How do you find dsmtalk.com and dsmtuners.com? I know for me, tons of info, but long time wading through the BS. But still not too bad. You have to know how to use common sense to use those resources (no prob for you)

I would think that any of the "hot rod import engines" books at lordco, mopac, etc, should give you the basics. Throw in some specialized info from the net on our engines, and our resident stroker expert Chris, tempered with basic engine comon sense, should get you a long way.
991 TSI AWD (Red)
The good stuff is on!
1991 TSI AWD (Black)
Whoops..Somehow its become a parts car!

"Run her 'till she melts a piston, then back the boost down a pound"

Offline Mike Schmid

Engine building guide
« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2004, 09:38:17 am »
I've got a few books that center around small block chevy stuff but lets face it, all motors are basically the same.  They won't have anything particular to a DSM but most of the relavant information will cross over.  

If you look into short track chevy racing motors (short oval track that is) you'll find they rev up where we do, have to find ways to fight knock and extract as much horsepower as possible doing it.  

You have to keep in mind though that one big difference we have is forced induction... If you do find any good books or anything on turbo 4's post em up here.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Scott Girvin

Engine building guide
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2004, 04:31:39 pm »
Haynes just put out some pretty cool import how to books. Three of them that I know of, " Import Engine Modification and Building"  "Import Stereo Installation" and " Import Interior Modification."  You should check them out.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Engine building guide
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2004, 06:36:29 pm »
The Haynes manual for the Talon actually has some very good information regarding engine rebuilding,   and the real shop manual fills in most other blanks.

I found good information online with google, and don't forget the public library.

It wouldn't hurt to take a look in Chapters, either........

EDIT:  Another valuable resource: The machinest at your local machine shop.    Pump him for info,  maybe even watch him assemble an engine.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8