Author Topic: Question about FP  (Read 424 times)

Offline Scott Girvin

Question about FP
« on: January 21, 2004, 04:47:21 am »
Just out of curiousity, can anyone tell me if the fp(fuel pump) relay is turned on when the ignition is in the start position or the on position? Reason for me asking is that after installing my new fp gauge I turned the ignition to the on position and there was no fuel pressure until I turned the motor over. Just checkin to see if I have a wiring prob, possible from my fp rewire.

Offline Scott Girvin

Question about FP
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2004, 12:36:09 pm »
OK I got it, its supposed to be turned on when the ignition switch is turned on to the "on" position. Something is definately wrong. The only electrical mod that I have done is the fuel pump rewire, how could I screw that up enough to make this happen?

Offline JamieSibley

Question about FP
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2004, 12:46:26 pm »
On my 2g, I dont get pressure till it cranks. All my other cars gave a 2 second priming pulse when the key was first turned on. Not the talon though.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Lowell Foo

Re: Question about FP
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2004, 02:05:12 pm »
Quote from: "Scott Girvin"
Just out of curiousity, can anyone tell me if the fp(fuel pump) relay is turned on when the ignition is in the start position or the on position? Reason for me asking is that after installing my new fp gauge I turned the ignition to the on position and there was no fuel pressure until I turned the motor over. Just checkin to see if I have a wiring prob, possible from my fp rewire.

The fuel pump won't prime with just the key on, so what you're seeing is correct for a stock car.

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Question about FP
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2004, 02:44:56 pm »
Scott, FYI there is a FP test conector on the firewall, near the battery.   Simply apply 12VDC to this connector and it will fire up the pump, without needing a key in the ignition.

....a  great way to drain your tank to put in race gas.  :wink:
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Scott Girvin

Question about FP
« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2004, 02:53:30 pm »
thanks for the responce guys. I thought that something could have been wrong but it seems to be ok.

Chris Clark

Question about FP
« Reply #6 on: January 21, 2004, 08:12:11 pm »
Most domestic cars prime the pump with the key at the "on" position. I thought my wiring was messed up too when I first started working on DSM's