Author Topic: I think my 4g63T froze last night  (Read 1112 times)

Offline Emerson Thomas

I think my 4g63T froze last night
« on: January 05, 2004, 08:38:25 pm »
well i finally got insurance on the damn thing, pulled it out of the underground parking and parked it on the street last night. got in this morning, it started fine, let it warm up, but no heat out of the vents, ohwell im on my way to work and all of a sudden a huge gush of hot water explodes out of my hood and on to my windshield, pull over and my radiator hose blew off, limped to work, put more antifreeze in started her up and now theres a crunching noise coming from the water pump, so i left it there, i guess the heater core froze over night and the pressure just grew to strong. do you guys know of anything else that could have gone wrong because of it freezing? and now that im getting a new water pump, is there anything else i should replace while im in there? Thanks, Emerson.
-1989 Mitsubishi Mirage Cyborg RS 4G61T white.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-1991 Tuxedo Talon TSI AWD auto, stock
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..
..and bring some timing too

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2004, 08:50:59 pm »
If a rad hose blew off it's probably not the heater core that froze.  I bet it froze up in a bunch of places.  In your rad hoses, in you heater hoses, etc.  Some guy at Lordco today froze his truck up too... Just hope that all the freezing happened in ruber lines and not in your water jackets or water pump housing or rad.  

50% antifreeze 50% water people.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2004, 08:52:46 pm »
Push it back in the underground and let it thaw then find out where it leaks and go from there is your best bet.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2004, 09:08:54 pm »
Crap! mine did the same thing, I had a block heater plugged in and a 100W bulb sitting under the hood.... The block heater decided to quit last night AND the bulb burned out.  gaddammitt.  Good thing I had the rad cap off so the water had a place to expand to.

I have a ceramic heater doing heating dutys for now.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline Jeff Armstrong

• http://www.bc.dsm.org
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2004, 09:37:22 pm »
This happened to me this morning as well.

The plug that I thought led to a block heater actually leads to a heater that cuts through the lower rad hose (anyone hear of these?).  I plugged it in tonight, I'm not even sure it works.  

Fraser, good idea leaving the rad cap off, I think I'll go take mine off right now.

Good luck tomorrow Emerson.  I know I'm praying that its not my new water pump thats frozen or seized  :cry:
3 Talon - Sold
LR Disco - Atleast I'm AWD now :|

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2004, 10:41:26 pm »
Yeah, the lower rad hose units are "block heaters" too.  They just don't replace a freeze plug like the usual units do.  I put one in my laser, might switch it to the Talon eventually here.  My car has been starting fine though... Our boat is another story though...

Harrison lake is freezing over which happens about once every 10 years, the boat is locked up in ice, the 100W bulb in the engine bay was barely holding 0* a couple days ago so we put a small electric heater in, haha, it's a balmy 21*C now.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Kevin Jones

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2004, 10:56:17 am »
I've seen a block crack right up the side without blowing the freeze plugs or rad hoses. It wasn't a dsm but just FYI, it does happen. :D

Lowell Foo

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2004, 11:31:49 am »
Anti freeze...  use as directed in the winter.  Only $12/can.  Flush and fill every fall and your cooling system will live a long, happy life.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2004, 05:37:46 pm »
I thought mine was good for -15 or -18, but apparently it wasn't :(  I had the no heat heater too, so I had to let it thaw in the shop(while I was getting an alignment from the drop springs) and then added more antifreeze.  Hehe, I had a piece of ice on the end of the expansion tank tube :)

Seems to be good, no wierd noises etc, and that was yesterday morning.

PS, coolant is good for -30 now.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Matt Feist

« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2004, 07:55:01 pm »
Mother nature is the best intercooler ever!, If your cars rad isnt a popsicle
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #10 on: January 07, 2004, 08:13:39 am »
If the water pump is shot, what else should i replace while im in there, thanks, Emerson.
3" S.S. Turbo back, 13g, greddy E-boost cont, SAFC, 60mm TB, 1g smic, 1g maf, e prom, koni yellows w/ GC coilover, C10 swirlies with Falken azenis.
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..

Offline Jeff Armstrong

« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2004, 12:37:13 pm »
All belts including the Timing Belt if its been a while since its been changed.
3 Talon - Sold

Offline Emerson Thomas

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2004, 06:02:42 pm »
well the pump was shot, the fins inside had frozen and when i turned the car on they sheared right off of the pulley. i got a new water pump, thermostat, radiator fluid, and power steering belt, all for the low low price of $450. Just remember people, check your antifreeze every so often. Thanks for everyones input, much appreciated. Emerson.
-2001 RUF Boxster 6spd
-1995 toyota mini truck

Let boost be with you..

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2004, 06:11:50 pm »
wow, mine just had a chunk of ice in the heater line   :shock:   Shitty deal for you...

While you are in there, do the timing belt, balance belt, pulleys, and tensioner.  Really best to do it, if one of those parts breaks, its WILL take out valves, maybe all of them and maybe pistons too.  Its a big one on our cars.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Jeff Armstrong

« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2004, 07:02:00 pm »
Quote from: "John Hartman"

While you are in there, do the timing belt, balance belt, pulleys, and tensioner.  Really best to do it, if one of those parts breaks, its WILL take out valves, maybe all of them and maybe pistons too.  Its a big one on our cars.

:agreed:   :roll:
3 Talon - Sold