Author Topic: Help with Engine diagnose  (Read 724 times)

Offline Gabriel Shim

Help with Engine diagnose
« on: December 04, 2003, 02:37:18 pm »
I've been a member for a few days already and my car needs help.  At 2500 RPM i can faintly hear the engine sounding like its pulsating.  The sound is similar to that of an unbalanced wheel, (woo woo woo).  I pulled out my spark plugs and they don't look normal.

There are a few things that could be wrong from looking at the 2 right plugs; air leak, clogged injectors, or a blown head gasket.  I really don't wanna think about the later one.  Anyways, I've noticed that my gas comsumption is greater now.

I've checked for leaks, none.  I haven't checked the others yet, just wanna hear some input before I start ripping things apart.

BTW, I flushed out my engine and added BG's fuel treatment 2 weeks ago.  Could something have got into my fuel line?
994 Eagle Talon ES (Extra Speed)
Boost Friendly

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2003, 02:44:15 pm »
Have you been able to datalog it?
Did the new plugs make any difference?
Do you have a fuel pressure guage?
Have you checked your oil for water and water for oil?

BTW what kind of plugs are those, they look strange and are they in order?

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2003, 02:49:42 pm »
Quote from: "Jeremy Clarke"
Have you been able to datalog it?
Did the new plugs make any difference?
Do you have a fuel pressure guage?
Have you checked your oil for water and water for oil?

BTW what kind of plugs are those, they look strange and are they in order?

I have no datalogger, and the new plugs did nothing.  I don't have a fuel pressure guage, and I just changed my oil.

The plugs are NGK BPR6ES and they are in order.
Boost Friendly

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2003, 02:55:13 pm »
any blue smoke? is the noise at 2500 the only thing you have noticed?
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2003, 02:59:38 pm »
I get blue smoke when I WOT.  That could mean two things; turbo seals are shot or valve seals.  Does the valve seals being shot contribute to the white plugs?  My car has been smoking for a long time now but the plugs have always been normal, til now.  Those plugs you see are about 5k old.
Boost Friendly

Offline Eric McIntyre

« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2003, 04:08:06 pm »
sorry i meant to ask about white smoke :roll:
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2003, 08:54:41 pm »
I haven't notice any white smoke.  Just blue smoke.
Boost Friendly

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2003, 09:53:07 pm »
Gabriel, is your engine originally a 4g63Turbo or did you just turbo a regular one?

and secondly, check your injector o-rings on those 2 cylinders.  Hell, if its been a while, change em anyway and make sure its a good fit.

I suspect an air leak at those cylinders.

PS, this brings up an interesting point about #1 not being leanest from the other thread.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2003, 10:01:56 pm »
John, where can I check for air leaks for those cylinders.  The engine is a turbo.  I'll grab those O-rings tomorrow.
Boost Friendly

Offline Kimyee Lai

« Reply #9 on: December 05, 2003, 08:39:07 am »
Do those number correspond to cylinder numbers?  3 and 4 look like they're lean.  You're more likely to see black/oily plugs if it's oil in the cylinders.  I say check for perhaps clogged injectors...try swapping the injectors, with a new set of plugs, and see if it follows the injectors.  This way you also get to change your injector O-rings etc, and that takes care of the possible air/fuel leak issues.

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #10 on: December 05, 2003, 02:35:26 pm »
since you have no logger or fuel pressure guage and recently used an in tank fuel additive, I would change the fuel filter first before going to the bother of removing injectors. Changing the seals on the injectors is never a bad idea though. Maybe there is not enough pressure to those end injectors due to a filter issue.

Offline Gabriel Shim

« Reply #11 on: December 05, 2003, 05:04:14 pm »
I ordered some O-rings and change those soon.  BTW, what kind of grease is preferred on the rings when I put them back in?  All I have are wheel bearing grease, is that OK?

Thanx for all your help guys.  I think the injectors are clogged, cuz this problem just started after I threw in BG's Fuel treatment system.  That probably loosened all kinds of junk.

The fuel filter was just replaced 5k ago.  Had to cut the metal fuel banjo cuz the idiot who changed my fuel filter last tightened it with RED THREADLOCK.  '

Thanx again.  Hopefully i can get this resolved soon.
Boost Friendly

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #12 on: December 05, 2003, 05:44:23 pm »
I just lubed my rings with oil.
Seriously guys, if ANYONE makes fun of me or takes that out of context, you're dead!
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Jeremy Clarke

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2003, 07:00:27 pm »
HAHA!

I plan to use my paintball gun lube on mine as it's designed for o-rings. I have no idea what it is though. I think it's just hydrolic fluid.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2003, 11:16:11 pm »
gotta catch me first lube boy :P
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods