Author Topic: 2g MAF install ??  (Read 928 times)

Offline John Hartman

2g MAF install ??
« on: December 02, 2003, 06:20:57 pm »
Hey, Ok, so I got Jayme's maf(thanx man) and am looking at it.  There is no place to attach a filtering device.

So what have all you smart, creative and good looking types with 2g mafs in your 1g cars done??

Must be cheap, and fit without cutting any major stuff and work with my upper i/c pipe/intake piping.

I know I need a 4"-3" coupler for the intake pipe.

also, any pitfalls to avoid on the install/wiring??

thanx guys...
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Vlad Busta

• http://www.members.tripod.com/Busta-bc
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2003, 07:24:32 pm »
Get an adapter plate from L&R and by a 4.5" K&N stubby filter.  This is what's on my car now.  I tried to make an adapter out of plastic to attach the 1G K&N one but that didn't last.   I have pictures on my site I think on how the intake looked when I did this ghetto mod.

There is a FAQ on the main DSM site that will help you with the wiring.  Not too hard.
all go, no show!

Offline John Hartman

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2003, 07:45:16 pm »
sweet thanx Vlad.

Any cost info on the adapter plate/filter?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #3 on: December 02, 2003, 08:46:47 pm »
You can also go the Mopac route, they have a 2G cotton filter adaptor that is around $25 or so, it is the "ractive" combo or some stupid name like that. The K&N style filter is perfect for tucking into the corner by the popup motor. Filter is like 30bucks more or so.

2G maf rocks John, you will freak out how it drives, it SHOULD have been stock but I guess the technology didnt exist back in 1987 when the Karman vorticies bullshit was started for us. :)
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline John Hartman

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2003, 09:34:54 pm »
I was hoping you would respond :)

more about the filter thing if you can, and any info on installs would be great.

Offline Jovan Ceklaj

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2003, 09:39:44 pm »
Actually, I went to Mopac when I got mine and all they said they had was the FIPK kit, which sucks because its expensive for a filter.  Too bad I cut up my 1g MAF for the wiring plug and time was at a premium, because I had little choice at the time and had to go with it.  Gotta love gettin screwed by a store and knowing it :x .  Fits nice though

Jovan
 1989 Nissan 240sx (daily POS/autocross slut)
- '92 6/4 bolt Tsi AWD 5 spd. (Burned to the ground!)

Offline John Hartman

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2003, 09:58:37 pm »
how about a 2g aircan?  There is one going on Canada that is gonna be cheap.  Will that work?

Offline Shawn Silva

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2003, 10:53:16 pm »
John,

Were you looking for this kind of thing that I was including with my MAF along with the turbo pipe?  Sorry, I just had to.....lol.

http://www.members.shaw.ca/southislandperformance/PartsForSale/ForSale%20019.jpg

http://www.members.shaw.ca/southislandperformance/PartsForSale/ForSale%20020.jpg

Still for sale.....will not seperate pipe or adapter, sorry.

Take care
Shawn

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2003, 09:16:51 am »
Quote from: "John Hartman"
how about a 2g aircan?  There is one going on Canada that is gonna be cheap.  Will that work?

I got my 2g aircan for sale  :D

Offline JamieSibley

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2003, 10:54:14 am »
Hey,  Couldn't you cut a bigger hole in the 1g aircan plate and bolt on the 2g maf. Looks like there is enough room around the stock mas cutout to enlarge it. Sure would be a cheap solution.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2003, 12:45:15 pm »
Call Ryan Lore @ Kinetics... he has an adaptor plate that will work... i'm getting mine from him

Troy Simkus

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2003, 01:02:14 pm »
Quote from: "Jovan Ceklaj"
Actually, I went to Mopac when I got mine and all they said they had was the FIPK kit, which sucks because its expensive for a filter.  Too bad I cut up my 1g MAF for the wiring plug and time was at a premium, because I had little choice at the time and had to go with it.  Gotta love gettin screwed by a store and knowing it :x .  Fits nice though

Jovan

Dont ask for K&N, tell them you need an oval maf adapter. RACTIVE makes it, they have one for the eclipse, impreza, stealth and a couple other cars i believe.  Mine was 22.xx and came nicely polished.  Then just buy a universal k&n cone that is the right size. (4.5" inlet i believe)  It's actually a pretty nice piece.

Here's the RACTIVE part# MB114 it's listed under Mass Airflow Sensor Adapter in the intake section. I'm sure any stereo or other shop that carries ractive and other rice stuff can get it in. But mopac does have it in stock.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2003, 02:24:40 pm »
When I got my OBX intake filter cone it came with the oval MAF adapater plate.... it was I think $10 more for the plate... but hey.. it was CHROME  :D

Offline Kimyee Lai

2g MAF install ??
« Reply #13 on: December 03, 2003, 03:55:04 pm »
Robin robin...why don't you just chrome the whole car?  I've always wondered what that would look like...On a bright sunny day, at a DSM meet sometime in the future..."Watch out, it's Robin going by....AARGH I'm BLIND!"

Anyway, yeah, all you need is the adapter piece.  I have one from my friend's Injen intake...it's very nice.  There's an actual slope on the inside for the round to octagon transition, instead of a sharp corner like on the cheaper ones...

Offline Marty van den Bosch

• http://martyvandenbosch.fotopic.net/
2g MAF install ??
« Reply #14 on: December 03, 2003, 04:24:06 pm »
Quote from: "Kimyee Lai"
Robin robin...why don't you just chrome the whole car?

That would be sooo awesome !
991 Plymouth Laser FWD
12.0 @ 121.7mph