Author Topic: Winter doldrums? couple issues...  (Read 784 times)

Offline Ryan O'Rourke

Winter doldrums? couple issues...
« on: November 24, 2003, 03:01:10 pm »
Couple of things ive noticed lately..

one... i started the car this morning, didnt have a butload of time to let it warm up as usual (gave her 2 minutes?) so i took off, and took her easy cause the engine was still cold.. none the less, it was.. lagging? no pick up what so ever, felt like the turbo was dead.. 6-7 minutes after driving it was completley fine..

Couple of days ago, i was booting along, and i noticed the engine was revving higher then the car was pulling.. Almost as if the clutch was slipping or the timing (although no engine "skips") was off, (e.g. revved the motor and no pick up) but ive only had this happen the ONE time and never since..

On a side note, i was having the occasional belt sqweak issue and power drags (like the lights dimming etc, when idling) which indicated the altnerator belt was loose... i was given an idea (from sarah) i think to tighten the belt, but alas, due to the fact im a lazy bugger and ive been overly busy lately i havent gotten around to that.. Just thought id throw that in there just in case that was related, or suspected to be related..

Any suggestions/tips/forewarnings? thanks peeps..

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2003, 03:05:43 pm »
A loose alternator belt will result in lots of squeeling, high revs with what feels like serious timing retardation, and dimming lights.

Moral of the story, GET OFF YA LAZY ARSE AND TIGHTEN YA BELT(s) ;)

Happy DSM'ing!
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Ryan O'Rourke

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2003, 03:15:13 pm »
lmao.. i had a feeling it could be related, but i didnt think it would be accountable for all the issues.. well then... right after this dandy lil 12 hour shift i think im gonna do some 12am mechanics ;)

My main concern was that it could possibly be the timing belt, as i heard there notorious for going on these cars, but if im not mistaken, a crappy timing belt would usually result in engine "skipping"....right? :shock:

On another note about sqweaks... ive had two diff sqweaking problems, one seems to be the belt.. but the idling one doesnt.. someone suggested that i try "lubing" the belts with hand soap as a temp fix just to see if it is in fact the belts..i was going to do this, so i popped my hood, let it idle for a bit to wait for the belts to sqweak when i noticed that it wasnt comin from under the hood but from under the car.. it sounds as thuogh my exhaust (i know, wtf) is sqweaking... right around the catalytic area..
i dono.. rat got loose in there and is tryin to get out? anyone have this happen b4?

Offline Matt Feist

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2003, 03:27:23 pm »
That sounds like my car to a Tee these last 2 weeks! Is yours a 2g as well? Maybe its just the cold.
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline Andrew Steele

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2003, 03:35:54 pm »
There's a flex section of pipe before the cat ... it's supposed to absorb the majority of engine movement, but as with everything DSM ... one can not expect everything to work perfectly.  The squeaking sound could be the bolts/flange for your cat being slightly loose.  Good luck tightening them up!

Also, don't put soap and other contaminants on your belt.  Save your money and get a proper belt job done ... especially if you haven't a clue as to when it was done last.  You don't want a $900 bill for rebuilding the head because you were too lazy to get the t-belt replaced.

Also, if you recently bought it, dont' believe a word the seller says.  "Oh yeah, I replaced the timing belt and had the transmission rebuilt 6mo before we parked it, it's in awesome condition" ...  :BS:
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Ryan O'Rourke

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2003, 03:39:26 pm »
lmao.. yet again andrew, the advice is very much appreciated.. yea, i was somewhat skeptical about the soap idea, but it was mainly just to try determine if it was the belts... but im convicned its not, wasnt aware of the exhaust thing you pointed out.. maybe if i can actually spare an hour or two this weekend (dammit...gotta cut back on drinkin time) ill get 'er in the air and check it out.... Yea, my main concern was like i said that these problems could result in a more serious problem e.g. head rebuild like you said, because as of right now, im shitter broke (f'en holidays, f'en bills)

matt, its a 92 TSi for the record..

Offline Matt Feist

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2003, 04:04:40 pm »
My car has a bottem end of a 92  :D  Ok ok Im grasping at straws.
I need to get that belt looked at pronto then, I cant the afford a tissue to sneeze let alone pay for a head rebuild right now (worst case scenario)
till after Christmas.
97 AWD TSi Talon,  Gun Metal.

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2003, 05:45:37 pm »
listen to Andrew about the timing belt.  He knows.  Also if he speaks about crank walk, or water pumps fete attention, young DSM driver!
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Dan Powers

« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2003, 12:19:51 am »
I drive a G2 & the weather is definatly noticable on my belts in the mornings until the engine warms up.  But then again i'm due for a T belt change very soon as I am on 156kms.

Offline Michael Cummings

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2003, 08:47:56 am »
if you think that your due for a t-belt job then do it!! do it right now! go!
1992 Talon Tsi (Sold - Owned from 02-09)
1990 Chev Astro (RIP)
1988 Yamaha FZR250 (RIP)
2008 Kawi Ninja250R (daily rider)
1998 Ford Explorer XLT (daily driver)

Offline Kevin Standeven

« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2003, 11:47:22 am »
Is there any way to check if a timing belt is actually new? Like an identification/date stamped on it anywhere? The last owner told me the belt was just changed, but I can't find the reciept for it. It looked new, but I don't trust looks...
97 Talon AWD

Currently under the knife...

Offline Dan Harshey

• http://www.geocities.com/dishesco/Dishes_Home.html
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2003, 12:08:09 pm »
The previous owner of my car also told me my car had a recent timing belt job done on it, but here is the key.  I have all the records/reciepts of all work done to my car so i know exactly when it was done, and he was telling the truth.
Dan
91 Talon Tsi AWD 312hp/294ft/lbs<br />93 Talon Tsi FWD SOLD!

Offline Andrew Steele

« Reply #12 on: November 25, 2003, 01:04:10 pm »
Well, if he provides receipts then that's another story.

If the guy can prove he had it done, then duh ... believe him.   I think that's just common sense.
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #13 on: November 26, 2003, 01:32:17 am »
AFAIK there's no way to tell how old the belt is if you don't have a replacement date and a calender   :?

You can look at it for obvious signs of deterioration but the best way to look at it is to flip it inside out and squeeze it into a tight radius, look for cracking and wear.  However.. to do this you need to have the belt off... in which case you might as well replace it...   :roll:

Speaking of belts... I need to do my A/C one soon... I've got projects piling up like mad, mod installs, MCCC, oil change, belt change, O2 sensor change, tuning... eeps, good thing I don't drive the car much...
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*