Author Topic: setting up a fuel pressure guage.  (Read 503 times)

Offline John Hartman

setting up a fuel pressure guage.
« on: November 17, 2003, 10:42:21 pm »
Ok, so I think I will be doing this next, along with an adjustable regulator maybe, and a 2g maf, and a ported O2 sensor housing and a.....wait...

fuel pressure guage.

What do I need?  What NOT to get?

I just want a simple one that will work with the minimum of fuss and friggin around.  No -an6 lines, no new rail, no moving the head 1/4 inch to the rear, no cutting a notch in the drivers side axle etc.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2003, 03:33:51 am »
get the B&M kit, bolts right on to your fuel filter...
RoadRaceEngineering...
B&M also offers a fuel pressure gauge kit to allow you to accurately set your base fuel pressure. It is a small 2" diameter gauge that installs onto the top of the fuel filter. The kit includes a new banjo bolt that is threaded for the gauge and a 90 degree fitting. To set the base fuel pressure, remove the vacuum hose from the fuel pressure regulator and adjust the adjusting screw on the top of the CommandFlo regulator.

$35

Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2003, 03:45:46 am »
yup the B&M is totally the way to go for what you want. I have one on my christmas list myself. Lordco sells them for $55 but they can probably be gotten cheaper elsewhere. The price indicated on Andrew's quote is US I beleive.

Offline Andrew Scott

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2003, 04:17:44 am »
Quote from: "Jeremy Clarke"
yup the B&M is totally the way to go for what you want. I have one on my christmas list myself. Lordco sells them for $55 but they can probably be gotten cheaper elsewhere. The price indicated on Andrew's quote is US I beleive.

Yeah, that's the price from RRE
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline JamieSibley

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2003, 04:08:13 pm »
I got the B&M, Works great.

$35 from lordco.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Troy Simkus

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2003, 05:11:21 pm »
I'll sell you mine for $30 brand new never used. But you can probably get one for really cheap with your discounts.

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2003, 05:15:37 pm »
I think Lowell told me a while back that the B&M wasnt good cuz it wouldnt regulate flow going back to the tank.... or something like that.... maybe it was to do with idling... or something.... I cant remember but Lowell did say they were no good.... or maybe not...

to many drugs  :puppy:  :booze:

he was talking about the purple top hat B&M regulator...

Graeme Shaw

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2003, 05:21:33 pm »
That's an AFPR (or maybe just an FPR?) you're talking about Robin.  John's just looking for an FPG (Fuel Pressure Gauge). :D

Offline Jeremy Clarke

• http://www.westcostdsm.ca
« Reply #8 on: November 18, 2003, 05:33:39 pm »
I'll take that one off you if John doesn't want it Troy.
PM me

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 06:41:09 pm »
I'll take it Troy.  I don't feel like waiting for one on Ebay or whatever.

We need to meet up so I can get my goodies :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Mike Schmid

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2003, 04:04:58 am »
With the fuel pressure guage, two choices:

Under hood:  Easy install but you only see it at idle or free revving, ie, not while driving.

Then not underhood:  You can install it inside wherever by using an isolator, or possibly an electric guage... I think they make em but I'm too lazy to check.  Or slap that baby on the hood with a shiny AN line leading up to it.  That'd look badass.  Then you can see it while you drive.

As for a AFPR:  I think the B&M can only adjust up?  Another potential problem is fuel pressure bleed off while parked, meaning when you want to cold start in the morning you have to crank a bit to rebuild the line pressure.
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*