Author Topic: BMW Problems  (Read 1121 times)

Offline Robin Toor

• http://bcdsm.labattz.com/Robin%20Ride/featured_ride.htm
BMW Problems
« on: November 17, 2003, 08:28:14 am »
Ok the beamer acted up last night. I know it should be a good reliable car... but for some reason when I went to start it up last night after it being parked in the rain for 7 hours the check engine light came on.... so I popped the hood and started to look around. There was some loud lifter ticking going on as well as an air hissing noise, like the intake was leaking or something. So I figure it was low on oil or something because of the lifter noise... so I get some oil from the trunk (it came with the BMW, BMW's own brand  :?), and put it in. I go to check the level on the dipstick and I have no freakin clue how to read it cuz those Germans cant make proper marks on it. All it is, is a piece of metal at the end of the stick that is half full with a bunch of grooves in it, no clue as to where it is empty and full, and to top it off the user's manual shows a picture of a different dipstick! The car still drives and performs fine so I dont think its any major problems. Anyhoo basically this is whats wrong:

1. Loud lifter ticking noise (low on oil still?)
2. Air hissing noise like air is leaking on the intake side
3. The error code EML flashed up beside the Check Engine Light... I have no clue what it means...

anyone got any ideas on how to fix it?

can any damage occur in the motor if to much oil is added?

Offline John Hartman

BMW Problems
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2003, 05:42:25 pm »
ok, first off, what model and year?

secondly, what have you done to it/ :P

to check the oil, make sure the engine is off and sitting for a min or so, then pull out the stick and wipe it off well.  Then stick it back in all the way.  The cross hatched part is the guage part.  If the oil comes to the top of the crosshatching its full.  Bottom its down a liter.

The ticking could be a valve adjustment depending on the model and year.

the intake noise could be normal air rushing in sounds.

its hard to tell tho, from just that.  Either take it in, have a better look at it in good light, and/or join a Beemer forum :)
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Robin Toor

BMW Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2003, 09:31:57 pm »
2002 BMW Convertible

Completely Stock..

and when checking the oil... I know how to.. its just that the dipstick makes no sense... there is no cross hatching... it just looks like this:

full here?  full here?    full here?
_____|____|__________|
_____v____v_________ v
<====-----=========-----------------------------------------------------
_________^
_________||
  oil sits about there

with no dots or levels or nothing... I added a whole liter of oil, and it didnt even move the fuckin oil on the dipstick... I dont want to overfill it... that might be bad  :?

and the wierd thing is that it just went in for its servicing 2 weeks ago.... you'd think they would fill it up with oil....

germans and their engineering... nobody will ever understand...  :roll:

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
BMW Problems
« Reply #3 on: November 17, 2003, 09:47:29 pm »
Du bist ein Dumbkopf.
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Fraser Cassells

• Ass-engined Nazi-mobile owner, cause i'm too good for DSM's now
BMW Problems
« Reply #4 on: November 17, 2003, 09:58:45 pm »
Eine 2002 sollen warrenty links haben, BERÜHREN NICHT ES!

And Chris, NO YOU ARE! hehe.
1990 AWD Talon, Cumulative 432WHP parts depository...soldinated!
2008 911 Turbo
2014 Audi S4
2011 Ducati Hypermotard

Offline Robin Toor

BMW Problems
« Reply #5 on: November 17, 2003, 10:01:28 pm »
:shock:

Offline Robin Toor

BMW Problems
« Reply #6 on: November 17, 2003, 10:02:10 pm »
ok I'm gonna guess and say that

A) Chris called me dumb  :P

B) Fraser says 2002 BMW has a warenty...

am I right here guys? Give a non-german a chance  :laugh:

Offline John Hartman

BMW Problems
« Reply #7 on: November 17, 2003, 10:23:52 pm »
javol mien her :)

what model convertable?  I ask because the model number USUALLY has the engine size in it.  Eg 540, 318, 650.  The first number is the model, and the second 2 are the engine size in liters.  3 series, 1.8 liter engine.

I think you might wanna find a  manual or go to BMW Vancouver, or Eurotech on 8th, or another good BMW service place
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Robin Toor

BMW Problems
« Reply #8 on: November 17, 2003, 10:50:08 pm »
its a 325... 2.5 Liter V6....

and the manual is about as good as my german.... lol

I'll call BMW tommorow and ask them about the error code EML.. I'm sure its something small..... like Engine Mount Loose  :P

Graeme Shaw

BMW Problems
« Reply #9 on: November 18, 2003, 07:09:46 am »
AUGH!  Robin, I'mma kill you.  2.5L STRAIGHT SIX.  God, why does nobody remember that Bimmer is the last major automaker to put straight sixes in their cars.  Id much rather have a straight than a V.  Better torque down low :D

Offline Robin Toor

BMW Problems
« Reply #10 on: November 18, 2003, 09:29:02 am »
Quote from: "Graeme Shaw"
AUGH!  Robin, I'mma kill you.  2.5L STRAIGHT SIX.  God, why does nobody remember that Bimmer is the last major automaker to put straight sixes in their cars.  Id much rather have a straight than a V.  Better torque down low :D

hahaha... my bad.... I dont pay as much attention to the BMW as I do to the talon.... I like the talon more  :D

Offline John Hartman

BMW Problems
« Reply #11 on: November 18, 2003, 06:34:13 pm »
I was gonna say that about the inline 6 but I figured everyone would get on me for it :P

And not just BMW, but GM is using a 4.2 liter DOHC inline 6 in thier Envoy/Trailblazer line.  Nice motor too 270hp, electronic throttle control etc.

Graeme Shaw

BMW Problems
« Reply #12 on: November 18, 2003, 06:37:15 pm »
Oh yeah, that's right, I remember watching C&D do a review on it.  The only reason I only mentioned Bimmer tho, is because they don't offer V6es, only I6es.  The Envoy is the exception to the GM rule.  I know Toyota and Nissan both have I6s (2JZ-GTE/RB26DETT) but they're rare, just like the GM engine.

Ah, finally, a chance to throw out some codes :D

Offline John Hartman

BMW Problems
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2003, 07:09:01 pm »
yea I was going to say RB26twins too, and the Supra engine, but I don't really count those as we can't get them here new anymore.

You are right tho, BMW is a leader in inline 6 engines.  VERY good.  Always were.  Well except for that less than stellar offering the 325e.  the Eta was NOT so good.

Graeme Shaw

BMW Problems
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2003, 08:38:53 pm »
Yeah, well, whaddya gonna do, John?  Nobody's perfect.