Author Topic: Intercooler!  (Read 2771 times)

Offline JamieSibley

Intercooler!
« on: November 03, 2003, 05:19:05 pm »

Look what I got!

Aint it purrrdy!

3" in 3" out, from a 450 hp porsche!
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Charn Gill

Intercooler!
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2003, 05:26:55 pm »
sweet. that thing looks like its brand new
looks pretty mean too  :twisted:
95 GS-T ** 91 RX-7 ** 94 Civic Hatch. - B18-C ** 07 Dodge Nittro ** 90 Isuzu Impulse RS ** 98 Eclipse GS-T Spyder

We all own DSM's so clearly we like abusive relationships - Rob Armstrong

Offline Eric McIntyre

Intercooler!
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2003, 10:56:59 pm »
sweet....got any more pics? how you going to fit that bad boy in? what kind of porsche is it out of?
1 laser rs....sold
the only way it was doin 12's in a quarter mile was being dropped off a 1320 foot  cliff
.....stupid university costing so much

Offline JamieSibley

Intercooler!
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2003, 11:02:33 pm »
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Andrew Scott

Intercooler!
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2003, 11:10:09 pm »
liquid to air?
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline JamieSibley

Intercooler!
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2003, 03:47:10 pm »
Yep  it's air to water.

I know it weighs a little more,  might break a little more...   but the way it goes in, it has a nice efficient and short air path.

It should work out good.
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Kimyee Lai

Intercooler!
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2003, 04:39:31 pm »
Heh, it's pretty cool.  There might be a problem when you're running on the street though.  How are you going to cool the water cooling your turbo?  An extra radiator?  Or are you just circulating the water from a tank?  In that case it'll be good for a while, then it really won't be doing too much cooling.  It's great for a drag race, as you can use ice water, but the ice cube will melt and you will lose mucho cooling efficiency.

Offline Mike Schmid

Intercooler!
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2003, 05:07:55 pm »
I would use both I think... a tank and an extra rad.  That way you have a place to dump a bag of ice at the track plus daily drive cooling ability.  Plus a larger volume of water to heat.  

And yeah, that water will get hot.  I know that guy that runs the low 12s civic HB at mission has an air/water and he must only have a tank but he puts ice chunks into a tank of boiling water at the end of each run...

I'm curious as to where you're mounting it?  in front of the tranny w/ inlet and outlet facing up?  or somewhere else?
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Chris Andrews

• Good news Everyone!
Intercooler!
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2003, 08:58:29 pm »
Some technical hurdles to overcome.....  but DAMN.   Thats tres cool!   :shock:  8)

Can't wait to see how you get it all hooked up. :D
92 TSi  AWD 2.4L Hybrid 12.3@113 SoLDINated!!!!
2008 Toyota Tundra. 5.7L
2012 KTM 350 EXC-F
2008 Arctic Cat M8

Offline Andrew Scott

Intercooler!
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2003, 09:30:06 pm »
pull an oil cooler off a 90 and use that!
Parked: 1989 240sx - Esso 87 octane, Superstore generic 10w30, Japanese automatic climate control, Pioneer AVIC-Z3 navagation, Tien Flex Coilovers, Poly bushings, R34 Brakes (front and rear), Cusco tri-point strut braces (front+rear), 1998 tail lights, rear+side valance, adjustable toe and camber arms, cusco sway bars, helical rear diff, Volk TE37s - For sale!
Daily: 2008 BMW M3 DCT

Offline JamieSibley

Intercooler!
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2003, 10:29:32 pm »
Im going to be using a second rad.   Its going in place of the ac condenser, that never worked anyways.

As for how I'm going to mount it, It's going where the stock airbox/fusebox was.  It's going to be quite the project but the results should be better.    I figure if it's way up high away from the ground then I wont smash it up like the intercooler I have now :(
5 TSI RWD 2.4L Fairwell.

Offline Kimyee Lai

Intercooler!
« Reply #11 on: November 05, 2003, 08:22:28 am »
Yeah, the problem with the air-water ICs is all in the steady-state boost conditions...with a 2nd rad, if the water is cool, you'll get good air->water heat transfer but not a good water->air x-fer.  If the water is hot, air->water is bad and water->air is good.  In heat x-fer you always want the temperature differential, and the water gets in the way, so to speak, of getting the heat eventually to ambient air.  Which is why the fast sy-ty guys always switch their air-water IC units out for a big air-air.

Unless if this is a track only car, in which case the lower than ambient cooling possible with ice water would be great, it's not very practical.

Offline Mike Schmid

Intercooler!
« Reply #12 on: November 05, 2003, 09:05:04 am »
I see what you're saying, I've taken some thermodynamics classes, the bigger the delta T the bigger the heat transfer is going to be.  So how come alot of cars come with A/W units from the factory?  The Sy/Ty trucks as you mentioned, I believe the GNs too, I know there's other ones too I just can't seem to think of them... Is it just ease of packaging/low turbo lag?

On a sidenote I went to that ebay page to look at the rest of the pictures and description, sucks to be those guys, haha,

"This was designed for a supercharged Porsche application however it was slighly too large and we ended up making a new unit from scratch. "

I hate when that happens   :shock:  :wink:
DSMs - fun when they run

'92 TSi AWD AT - 180bhp
'93 TSi AWD - 195bhp
'90 Laser RS NT - *sold*
'71 Camaro - *sold*

Offline Kimyee Lai

Intercooler!
« Reply #13 on: November 05, 2003, 09:36:52 am »
A lot of times, it's a packaging/routing/fitment issue.  An air-water is likely more compact, plus if you find space in the engine compartment it'll require only VERY short IC pipe routing.  Much easier to route a water hose than 2-2.5" IC pipe.  Radiator is thinner, etc etc.  Makes it an easier way out in some cases.  And I believe in general, MOST factory turbos come with a/a...I can only think of 2-3 with a/w intercooling.

Offline John Hartman

Intercooler!
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2003, 10:12:50 pm »
Hey I was going to bid on that, but it looked a bit complificated for us way out in the sticks :)

Best of luck man, I hope it works out for ya.  But don't let it take any time away from Translators :P

PS GN's use air to air, you can buy used GN ic's on Ebay and I work at a Buick dealer.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods