Author Topic: hoses?  (Read 884 times)

Offline Andrew King

hoses?
« on: December 26, 2014, 11:05:53 pm »
Alright so as my car gets closer to completion im having issues with a couple of what im assuming to be hoses that i am not quite sure where they go, i just go the intake for the turbo with the air filter and theres some holes the look to need hoses, will get a picture in the morning. If anyone knows what im talking about without a pic lemme know :P
1992 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd- In progress

DSM, A car for the gods... Good thing i've got one!

Offline Greg Durban

Re: hoses?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2014, 11:30:16 am »
If your talking the vacuum lines on the throttle body you can eliminate majority of them if you would like. Otherwise they go to the brace on the intake manifold and than lead on to the solenoids on the drivers side firewall.

For bare minimum you should have one off the compressor to the wastegate actuator, one from the throttle body to the BOV and than you can cap the rest off the throttle body I do believe.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2014, 08:12:55 pm »
I don't have my car here right now but one of the holes you are referring to is for the valve cover breather hose.  Not needed if you are using a catch can or some other routing for your vacuum lines.  I leave mine connected for now.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2014, 05:12:46 pm »
No, I know which hose your talking about for the breather. I'm talking about the rats nest of hoses that you usually have from factory which can for the most part be eliminated. Check out this link. http://www.dsmtuners.com/threads/taboo-speed-shop-vacuum-diagram-and-removal-for-1g-and-2g.198327/
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS
"Being your own backyard mechanic is what owning a DSM is all about." DSMtuners.com

Offline Andrew King

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2014, 07:47:18 pm »

The lines off of this :S
1992 Eagle Talon Tsi Awd- In progress

DSM, A car for the gods... Good thing i've got one!

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2014, 08:17:01 pm »
The big one is your BOV and I believe there is a small nipple on the metal portion for the boost control solenoid?? Not 100% on the small nipple though.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: December 29, 2014, 12:13:04 am »
Okay.   Heres the run down.

As greg stated, make sure you have a line going from the turbo outlet pipe nipple (boost source) to your wastegate diaphragm.  a MBC (manual boost controller) or any other style of boost controller will connect to this line.  Then you have to have one  line going from the intake manifold to the BOV.   (DO NOT use a source from any of the throttle body lines to use for the BOV  vac source.  it needs to come from the larger port in the intake.  I found this out when one time I used the output on the throttle body on a BOV and I got constant BOV chatter/surge from the turbo.  the port on the TB just doesn't provide enough volume to keep up with aftermarket (or stock) BOV's. Just cap off all the ports on the throttle body and put a egr block off plate if u wanna get real fancy lol.  or get a vac diagram and hook back everything like stock LOL. ahahaha

As for the intake pipe you showed...  there is the obvious large port for the BOV dump return.  On the back side there are two medium sized ports.  One goes to the charcoal canister (under battery tray). (used to let the engine burn off stored up fuel vapours from the fuel tank)  This can be blocked off tho if you have also blocked off the throttle body lines, the valve wont work normally anyways. just make sure to leave it vented somehow, cuz it can cause issues with the fuel tank not venting properly.  The other line right near it on the intake pipe goes to the side breather port on the side of the valve cover.  this allows fresh, filtered air to enter the crackcase at idle, and also offers a little crankcase suction as well under boost. (can help with excessive crank case pressure under high boost.  A lot of people end up running that line to a catch can system to help catch any oil vapours and try and avoid getting them into the intake piping/intercooler/engine.  There is also the small formed hose that runs from the LARGE vac port on the front of the intake manifold to the PCV valve on the valve cover.  This helps pull a small amount of vacuum on the crankcase at idle, and the one way valve in the pcv valve should also close under boost conditions.  
on the MAF housing, near where the intake pipe connects you will also see a small port for a small vac line.  This connects to the stock boost control solenoid, and can usually be blocked off as well.

Then you will also need one vac line that runs from the drivers side area of the intake manifold to the FPR (fuel pressure regulator).  This is used to increase fuel pressure as boost rises, and also under vacuum decreases fuel pressure at idle a little bit.  Stock this line runs over to the firewall to a solenoid, but most people just bypass this as well.  The solenoid is there to cut vacuum to the FPR under hot starts to prevent a momentary lean condition, effecting emissions, and sometimes drivabilty for a short second.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2014, 07:56:53 pm by Brett Haviland »
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Greg Durban

« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2014, 10:12:31 am »
Its Greg, but thanks for clearing that up Brett.
1991 Eagle Talon AwD
1993 Plymouth Laser RS

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2014, 07:54:00 pm »
oh shit ahaha  my bad, I swear I saw glen lol.  Im up too late I guess!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2014, 09:02:36 pm »
12:13 is late?  :o

Grandpa!

Maybe your just not paying attention to the details..... ahaahaa
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor