Author Topic: Factory alarm swap  (Read 765 times)

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
Factory alarm swap
« on: December 26, 2014, 08:37:18 pm »
Has anybody done a swap of the factory alarm w/remote fob from a 98 to an earlier model (ie. 95)?

Just thinking.... but I don't have the wiring diagrams with me right now to see how it is integrated into the system.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Bennji Favelle

Re: Factory alarm swap
« Reply #1 on: December 28, 2014, 08:10:49 pm »
Why not just buy and install an aftermarket alarm?
They're only like $80.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2014, 02:01:01 am »
I could...... but...... what kind of challenge is that?  ;)  haha

In general..... The point is to try and use what we have and not continue to foster the belief that we should just throw shit away and go buy something new if there is no need.  I have no problem putting the time into a project that others may consider pointless because at the end of the day I hope to have learned something new.  If I can't do it then we'll see.

However,  that reminds me.  I have a viper alarm here that won't receive a signal from the remotes I have.  It is believed to be either a bad antenna or a bad brain.  What are your thoughts on this Bennji.  Do you have any parts around (ie. a spare antenna) that I can hook up to the system to do a bench test to confirm if mine is faulty?
 It is a 4 pin antenna I believe..... I wish I could remember the model of alarm right now but I think it is something like a 730.  I'll confirm later.

Offline Bennji Favelle

« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2014, 08:53:57 am »
If you have followed the programming steps and it does not receive signal, then it is the antenna. But typically when you disconnect power from an aftermarket alarm system, you need to reprogram the remotes. I don't deal with Viper at the moment, but Visions should be able to get you parts. Unfortunately for you, the closest one to you is Port Coquitlam, or Langley, depending on which way you drive more.

As for OEM Alarm, in theory it should work. But if the remote requires programming or something along those lines, it may be more difficult to figure out than an after market system, as I'm sure less people are doing it. Hopefully it runs on a dip switch or similar, so it doesn't need programming. Just find out where every wire is going to, and write it all down. Like Yellow with red stripe from alarm, goes to white with blue stripe by drivers kick panel. You will need to trace every wire, unless the OEM alarm brain has a wiring diagram on it, then it would be a bit easier.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2014, 09:17:57 pm »
Yep, I love physical tracing.  ;D  I end up finding all sorts of weird shit in cars when I start pulling off all the panels and carpet to find out where things all lead.  I am hoping the remote programming can be accomplished by a simple procedure.

VW fucked me around the other day when I had to go in to get their Fucking key fobs programmed.  Almost 3 hours I was there and after I payed they told me they couldn't program either remote for one reason or another.  Fucking bullshit.  If someone needs a key with programming and an RFID chip, be prepared to bend over.  Christ, I can buy a whole car for the same price! The story has more drama but I don't feel like typing that much tonight.

Thanks for the heads up Bennji.

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:40 pm »
HAhahaha.... so we ended up going back to Volkswagen and got a new fob.... magically..... the one that they said could not be programmed was now able to be done. Whaat a bunch of.....

Well at least it's all sorted out now.

On another note, I got the factory fob working on my 95.  Turns out I didn't need to swap any components,  and I now have alarm and keyless entry!  SWEET!

here is a link to DSMtalk where I got the info from.  Thanks DSM talk.

http://www.dsmtalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=36852

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 10:26:54 pm »
Good info.  Thanks travis!
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.