Author Topic: 2g aftermarket big brakes on 1g  (Read 483 times)

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
2g aftermarket big brakes on 1g
« on: October 26, 2014, 09:16:46 pm »
I an set of aftermarket big brakes (13inch) for 2g that I want install on my 1g.
I understand the ball joint area will need rotor clearance.

I am wondering the rotor center hub ..are 2g and 1g the same?
Caliper bolt spacing??

What differences are there in 1g 2g racing brake kits.

I already have 2g big brakes on my setup with aftermarket lines ....

92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Eddie ly

Re: 2g aftermarket big brakes on 1g
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2014, 07:10:30 am »
I believe the centre hub and the caliper bolt spacing are to. You'll caliper bracket/spacer for the big rotor. And yes you'll probably have hammer the ball joint/control arm end a bit for clearance.

Offline KevinBuckham

Re: 2g aftermarket big brakes on 1g
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2014, 11:05:24 am »
I understand the ball joint area will need rotor clearance.

Yes, or very likely depending on the kit.  Reverse works great (1G kits on a 2G).

I am wondering the rotor center hub ..are 2g and 1g the same?

Early 2G and 1G are the same.  Later 2G (mid 97 and up), and most of the new hubs you buy have a step ring inside that precludes using 1G style rotors.  For example, RTM Racing sells two different sets of centering rings for the Cobra rotors because of this.  About half of my hubs are the updated design.  Previously I used to order hubs that were the older style, but now I can only find the new style.  (Besides the two front hubs I have on the car, I have about 6 others lying around.)

Caliper bolt spacing??

Caliper bolt spacing is identical, but the offset to the rotor center line is slightly different stock.