Author Topic: AEM EMS no spark on 1G  (Read 1883 times)

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
AEM EMS no spark on 1G
« on: May 03, 2014, 08:50:16 pm »

So I tried running Venom today.  After draining the bad gas and filling and priming with new fuel, it seemed all ready to go. I plugged in a stock ECU to test before I hooked up the AEM.  For background info, I took the engine and AEM out of another 91 Talon and did a transplant.  Took my time to wire the speed density system in the same as it was on the previous car.  It sputtered for a bit and then ran a bit.  I felt confident to plug in the AEM but when I did the car wouldn't run.  After switching the computers around a couple times I confirmed that it would run on the stock ECU but not the AEM.  I pulled a plug wire (#4) and noticed a lack of spark..... hmm.  Just for fun I plugged in the stock ECU one more time and checked for spark again.  Got a strong spark this time. 

So why would the AEM no longer want to send a signal to the ignitor? I assume this is the case as I do get spark with the stock ECU in place.

is there a wiring change I am not aware of that I need to make to the factory wiring harness?  I thought it would be plug and play from one car to another, discounting the speed density addition that is.

Hmm
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
Re: AEM EMS no spark on 1G
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2014, 03:02:39 pm »
Aem ems is probably fooked from the sounds of it. Should be plug and play (as long as you swap the maf/remove SD sensors when going back to stock ecu.

I would suspect maybe bad solder joints causing the ems failure.

Didn't u already confirm that Aem ems was fooked like a year ago (intermittantlly)
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2014, 03:05:34 pm »
Just throw the socketed eprom in there and run SD that way. Ditch the old Aem ems, or send it away to get fixed (probably cost more then it's worth, being a 1st gen ems)

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2014, 06:48:31 pm »

No it  seemed to work fine after I got it running.  It didn't fail again until now.  I have since found that my laptop will not connect and the EMS doesn't operate the fuel pump when the key is turned to on anymore.  It used to prime up but not now.  I am going to check my fuses and such but the stock ecu is still doing it's thing so I don't suspect that a bad fuse is the case.

There was one difference in the wiring at the harness.  Pins 10 and 12 were swapped (air flow sensor and Ignition timing adjustment ).  I assume this was done to accommodate the speed density setup.  swapped them over and still no go..... although at this point I suspect an internal fault.  AEM has historically been good to their EMS owners for repair costs as I have noticed on other forums.

Well.... off to the shop.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2014, 07:21:59 pm »
yeah, best bet is to contact AEM and see what they say.  I tried to deal with them on a warentee for a meth kit,  they did not offer any sort of help with warenteeing it free of charge,,, only said I have to ship it to them (I pay) and they will inspect the item and decide if it was warentee or not,  anything not covered I would be charged, knowing that the ems u have is probably 10+ years old I imagine getting covereage will be difficult

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2014, 09:04:37 pm »
Yah, I guess we'll see what happens.  I don't expect any sort of warranty but hopefully there isn't anything too expensive to fix.  I took it apart tonight and there are no bad solder joints, arcs, leaks, smells, etc...  Everything looks good but it still won't work.  I might try plugging it into my Laser to rule out a mis-wiring in the Talon but with the fact that the stock ECU is working I don't expect anything different to happen. 

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2014, 09:48:10 pm »
It worked a month ago just before we pulled the motor. I would be really suprised if the ecu was dead. 
Wireing.  Somewhere.   

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2014, 10:09:05 pm »
it did the same thing in the other car when he bought it year(s) ago..  was a no start,....  tried some stuff, nothing, pulled the ecu out, put it back in and it fired up....

and he can do nothing else, but put the stock ecu back in, unplug sensors and it fires right up.....

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2014, 05:50:48 pm »
I sent my AEM EMS to AEM and they tested it, updated it...NO charge.
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner