Author Topic: Alternator  (Read 1398 times)

Bryan Hoytema

Alternator
« on: February 12, 2014, 02:14:27 pm »
Changed out my alternator for a refourbished one and turns out it was a lemon , so throwing my old one in I forgot to disengage my battery and shorter out the fuse , luckley I have am extra 100amp fuse lying around thankgod so I put it in and throw my old alternator back in , everything seems fine all connections back to the proper location belt nice and tight , drives good , but just as I sit at a light and idle the AT light and batt light start to fade in. There is no CEL , just those two lights , no squeezing or any other noise coming from the alternator , any one help me out here thanks , the reason for doing this in the first place was because of a bearing in the alternator was starting to squeal on cold start ups .

Offline kevin derhouson

Re: Alternator
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2014, 06:03:36 pm »
Your cars warning you that your alternator is dying, replace it asap or you'll be stranded.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2014, 06:07:43 pm »
Ordered one from napa , so I hope it'll last one more day ,

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2014, 06:09:54 pm »
They tend to die fairly quickly once the warning lights start going off..

I'd use the car only if absolutely necessary..I had a nasty tow bill for the same reason.
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:23 pm »
No abs light?
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline daniel Dee

• Fully drivable
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2014, 07:30:54 pm »
Volt gauge required!!   minimum of 12.6 volts plus while running...
I wouldn't trust any idiot light..
92 AWD TSI 5spd<br />Built motor ,AEM EMS, Arc2 cdi 1050cc&1000cc Staged injectors Billet S366 T4,top mount manifold.666 AWHP@39psi (RG Dyno 2010). New mods E85, BF cams, 72mm turbo, 70mm throttle body />90 TSI (gone), 95 TSI 5 spd sold, 93 Mazda 5sp(sold), 97 Acura 5spd Vtec 99 Audi A4 quad 5sp 2018 Civicturbo 6sp ktuner

Offline Travis Koch

• Level Seven Finishing
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2014, 09:13:45 pm »
Not to mention a limit on the high side too.  Sometimes the regulator will go and cause over charging but it isn't always noticeable at idle, only under load so be careful not to cook your battery.  It can get messy.
Current projects:  1992 Laser RS AWD - daily summer
                           1995 Talon Tsi AWD - daily winter
                           1989 2000GTX FWD - not sure where this is going yet
                           1991 Talon Tsi AWD - soon to be organ donor

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2014, 11:02:38 pm »
Hmm well I have to get to port COQ from south surrey so I hope it fairs well , :/

Offline Bennji Favelle

« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:57:28 am »
I just got my Alt swapped at Edmond's Alternators 2 weeks ago.
They were able to do the swap just over 1 hour, but only charged me for 1 hour.
Total for a new(refurbished) alt, and labour for them to do the full swap, was $190 after tax!!

I highly recommend them, they were great.
I didn't have an appointment or anything, so I was there almost 3 hours, but I'm sure if you booked an appointment or let them know ahead of time that you were coming in, they could get you in and out faster.
:)

(604) 522-7611

And they are . . . kinda on the way from PoCo to Surrey . . . if you're taking Puattullo because of fuckign tolls everywhere else.

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2014, 01:10:02 pm »
yeah sounds like the alt is causing it.  my colt does the same thing but the alt has always charged fine.  just the warning light circit in the alt caused the lights so dimly light.

Also you said the alt bearing qwas squeeling in the morning?  did you try to re-tension the alternator/ps/a/c belts up before anything?  sounds like it may have been a bit loose (normal to loosen over time, belts stretch/settle.)
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »
No abs light?
Ya there was the brake light that popped up , not abs ,
Total for a new(refurbished) alt, and labour for them to do the full swap, was $190 after tax!!

I didn't have an appointment or anything, so I was there almost 3 hours, but I'm sure if you booked an appointment or let them know ahead of time that you were coming in, they could get you in and out faster.

(604) 522-7611

And they are . . . kinda on the way from PoCo to Surrey . . . if you're taking Puattullo because of fuckign tolls everywhere else.

Edmonds is a great place , I ended up getting a new alternator from alder auto , with the vote deposit it came to around 190$ as well , I think I had the alternator out and back in again within 30mins lol ... Done it enough in the past week -_- , other wise thanks for the info ! I'm sure other people reading this will find it just as helpful !
yeah sounds like the alt is causing it.  my colt does the same thing but the alt has always charged fine.  just the warning light circit in the alt caused the lights so dimly light.

Also you said the alt bearing qwas squeeling in the morning?  did you try to re-tension the alternator/ps/a/c belts up before anything?  sounds like it may have been a bit loose (normal to loosen over time, belts stretch/settle.)

Ya I tightened the belt up and still no difference , when I pulled it I would spin the wheel with my fingers and you could just hear the bearing seaseing as it spun around , I could hear that it was the inner bearing that was going , and I could also tell as I started the car to go home from alder auto it sounded like it was running out of juice to start each time I went to start it , so I think it was slowly dying , lol ,

But it's all good now ! Thanks for the replys guys much appreciated !!

Ps when we going to get a cruise going ? :)

Offline Brett Haviland

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 02:34:12 pm »
when you want to get one going? 
I like Colts.  Turbo Colts.

Offline jesse dobbin

« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 08:39:13 pm »
I have one if need be I Dono how good it is it came with the car
1995 talon tsi sold
1997 talon 275hp sold
1gb talon tsi awdsold
2g talon (work in progress) sold
92 talon awd

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 11:50:16 pm »
All fixed up and good to go ! Thanks tho Jesse

when you want to get one going?  

Ill post a thread in the meeting room in abit
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 11:14:14 am by Bryan Hoytema »

Offline Rob Armstrong

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2014, 01:27:54 am »

(604) 522-7611

Or buy a good used one and do it yourself for $50.