Author Topic: How much power will I make? UPDATED  (Read 9434 times)

Offline Robert Vorley

Re: How much power will I make?
« Reply #60 on: October 24, 2013, 11:47:33 am »
After Zach waited an eternity to get his rods I wouldnt consider them.

Mind you Rg sent my Precision Turbo in 20 months ago.  I have yet to get it or a call.

1997 Eagle Talon AWD,
461 awhp, 357 tq @ 28 psi on RG's "heart-breaker" Mustang Dyno

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #61 on: October 24, 2013, 07:17:54 pm »
Have a look the thedsmgraveyard.com

they have an awful rep as well =\
there's an abundance of threads on various sites about them..
for further chuckles check out their BBB profile.

http://www.bbb.org/western-michigan/business-reviews/engines-rebuild-and-exchange/dsm-graveyard-in-kalamazoo-mi-38124681/complaints
« Last Edit: October 24, 2013, 07:21:05 pm by kevin derhouson »
She lives.
new build details ---> http://freetexthost.com/hgidu250ql
current awhp: 387

Offline Jordan Kruger

« Reply #62 on: October 24, 2013, 09:41:34 pm »
Yea,  stay away from DSM graveyard.  Ide suggest buying components and having RG build it.   Any problems, and you tow it there. Not PULL the motor and ship it away, hoping to see it again someday.
337awhp.  ---> 500 awhp ? =)

Replacing parts since early 2010.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #63 on: October 25, 2013, 06:50:07 am »
Thanks for the info guys.
2001 Altezza RS200
1996 TSi AWD - In hibernation

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #64 on: October 25, 2013, 09:18:23 am »
ya if RG is willing to build it, let them have at it.. my word of advice is keep it mild if you want to DD it..

oem pistons if possible, forged rods would be ok.. don't go crazy  :)
She lives.

Offline Marke Bailey

• B.C.'s quickest DSM.
« Reply #65 on: October 25, 2013, 09:43:33 am »
or buy my pistons like I offered, and get good rods.
The Sleepy Slushbox.

"She may not look like much, but she's got it where it counts, kid. I've made a lot of special modifications myself."

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #66 on: October 25, 2013, 10:14:28 am »
i really dislike the idea of forged pistons on a DD. =\
She lives.

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #67 on: October 25, 2013, 10:47:31 am »
I was thinking about sending my block away to dsmgraveyard but the shipping costs would have been crazy, plus the wait time, theres always going to be kind of a blackout period where your going to be like i wonder how its doing, so I have decided to take it to a machine shop my self get it clean /checked out and measured up, then just buy my parts based off that, and eventually be sending it hopfully to RG for them to assemble ,
« Last Edit: October 25, 2013, 10:53:08 am by Bryan Hoytema »

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #68 on: October 25, 2013, 11:03:04 am »
Only problem with doing a local build is finding a good block. I've already wasted time with that so decided to go this route. If someone has a block that they can 100% with confidence say that it's good to go then yeah, for sure.

I got a block from another member a while back, after RG took it all apart, turned out to have a gouge in one cylinder...sent it to the machine shop to try boring it out but after an .040 bore it was still there so I had to eat the cost of all that, and be stuck with an unusable block. So that's why I'm not really into that idea.

These shops that build race blocks should have a decent supply of usable blocks that have been resurfaced so that's why I went that route. Just no more energy to run around...I just want it done.
2001 Altezza RS200

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #69 on: October 25, 2013, 01:01:37 pm »
ya I hear ya , just get it sleeved ;),.

have you looked on dsmtuners ;) im sure you could find plenty of 6 bolt blocks hoverin around , Imean that is pretty risky but it might be worth it , if you cant find somthing local

Offline kevin derhouson

« Reply #70 on: October 25, 2013, 01:59:22 pm »
it sucks, but we're looking for a block that was manufactured 20+ yrs ago =\

really hard to find something decent.. :(
She lives.

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #71 on: October 25, 2013, 03:10:01 pm »
ya I hear ya , just get it sleeved ;),.

have you looked on dsmtuners ;) im sure you could find plenty of 6 bolt blocks hoverin around , Imean that is pretty risky but it might be worth it , if you cant find somthing local

Considered sleeving it, but no one at RG had ever seen a 4g63 sleeved and I trust their judgement so decided not to go with that. Even dsmtuners though...if I get a used block...I still have to back and forth with a machine shop and I really don't have the patience for all that anymore mang. I've been without a car since April so I just want to go with something that I can trust because if I buy a block off some dude on the forum and something goes wrong...it's buyer beware. However, if I buy from a company that builds these and that's pretty much what they do and something goes wrong, I can take it back and slap it down on their face until I get $$$ worth.

it sucks, but we're looking for a block that was manufactured 20+ yrs ago =\

really hard to find something decent.. :(

Yep
2001 Altezza RS200

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #72 on: October 25, 2013, 03:42:07 pm »
Ya true but if RG builds it wouldn't thy have some sort of gaurentee that if something breaks you have how ever long that they could fix it ? In shorter words , warranty ? Like these big online companies like Magnus or dsmgraveyard offer ? I know it might be a hassle but these things take time if you want to do it right as I am finding out the hard way with my project as well , that's why I chose to just take it to the machine shop my self and get recommendations for the right setup I need , and buy the peices my self and get them professionally installed ,and I'm sure you have thought this through ,  but I also don't have mad cash flow right now to send it away lol , but honestly if I did I would like to keep it local ,

Offline Ryan Singh

« Reply #73 on: October 25, 2013, 04:43:33 pm »
Ya true but if RG builds it wouldn't thy have some sort of gaurentee that if something breaks you have how ever long that they could fix it ? In shorter words , warranty ? Like these big online companies like Magnus or dsmgraveyard offer ? I know it might be a hassle but these things take time if you want to do it right as I am finding out the hard way with my project as well , that's why I chose to just take it to the machine shop my self and get recommendations for the right setup I need , and buy the peices my self and get them professionally installed ,and I'm sure you have thought this through ,  but I also don't have mad cash flow right now to send it away lol , but honestly if I did I would like to keep it local ,

Lol...it sounds great written down like that...but it never works out that way.

Build time is about 4-6 weeks at mostly any one of these places. If you buy the parts individually yourself it works out to be way more expensive because instead of buying one set of pistons like you would for example...one of these companies may buy 12 sets at once and get a discount on them. I tried doing the whole machine shop thing and like I said earlier...they look at it and tell you what they think after they can actually look at it. I don't have a car right now to go fuck around back forth to get the part, take it to the shop and back and what not. And to top it all off I work Mon-Fri 9-6pm so its next to impossible to get anything done on a Saturday if the machine shop is even open that day. Usually they say, oh just drop it off and we will look at it when we get to it, and then two weeks later when I can't get a ride or borrow a car to go there and get it they will tell me whatever they find. Lol get my drift?

So I just said fuck it and am paying extra so I don't have to worry about it.

RG could definitely build it, and they offered to...but they also agreed that it would be cheaper for me to go this route as these other places specialize in this sort of thing so they will have a cheaper and quicker turnaround time.
2001 Altezza RS200

Bryan Hoytema

« Reply #74 on: October 25, 2013, 04:53:59 pm »
Lol , oh ok , : ) , it is hard when you don't have a vehicle such as a truck to do all that running around , It not as if I think you haven't thought about this already , I am just trying to help ; ) . And voice an opinion haha also just to see where your at, so would RG handle shipping then correct ? And installation ?