Author Topic: 1G speaker upgrade  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Damian Zerr

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #15 on: December 03, 2002, 01:53:58 am »
The 6 1/2" fit in the doors fine.
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline Andrew Steele

• http://www.bcdsm.org
1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #16 on: December 03, 2002, 04:54:17 pm »
Quote from: "Jay Drew"
im happy with all my mirrors being useless they vibrate so much, but i cant even imagine would it would take to crack the glass, thats crazy

That was only once, during a competition while using a tone-burst CD. (Severe Advisory: Do NOT use tone-burst CDs without hearing protection)

Destroying the windshield scared me at first, then i found it exciting, then I got concerned about the cost... but the prize money paid for it and a new CAP.  So it's all good.  However, that was two cars ago, and I'm not really into it that much anymore, besides the DSM Interior harmonics aren't good for creating SPL - that, and I"m getting old :P Hearing is startin to go so ... 155db is plenty punch for me.
1999.5 Audi A4 2.8L Quattro Tip
1994 Eagle Talon (SOLD)
1993 Eagle Talon TSi AWD (SOLD)

Offline Richard Nazar

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #17 on: December 04, 2002, 12:40:46 am »
I think my system needs some tuning... can anyone help me with this?
I have a pioneer deck, stock fronts, RF 6x9s and 2 10" RF punch subs powered by a RF 250a2.
I feel like my system should sound better/louder than it does right now.
Thanks in advance.

Offline Ryan Coft

• Administrator
  • Retired!
1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #18 on: December 04, 2002, 06:51:48 am »
i do stereo installs and in my last car (before it got written off) i had some nice IASCA quality sound going on, as well as some serious SPL, this is my setup that i had in my Supra, that i'm going to fit in my Talon, heaven help me, talon's aren't nice for sound quality

6 1/2 MB Quartz Components (in doors)
MB Quartz Tweets (in dash? maybe...)
need a set of 6x9's in the back, not sure what i'm using yet

2 Rockford Fosgate 12" HX2's
1 Rockford Fosgate 800rms Watt Amp
2 Alpine T707 (600 Watt) Amp's (for front and back, yes, welcome to overkill)
1 Audio Control Line Driver
1.0 Farad Cap

As for wiring, the quality of the wire is quite easily determinable, if your talking about power wire (4ga, 8ga, 10ga) then you should be able to check the number of strands in the wire, my power wire has 1200 or 1400 strands, can't quite remember

as for speaker wire i use 12 guage Lightning Audio speaker wire, it's quite decent.

As for the speakers in the front, i'm thinking that i actually might get adventerous and fibreglass 6 1/2's into the side of the doors, so i get an angled speaker, little bit better sound quality, or if anybody can think of how, i'd build fibreglass kickpanels, but there isn't a whole lot of room

as for the subs though, complete custom fibreglass enclosure taking up most likely a decent chunk of the trunk, especially after all 3 amps are mounted on the rack, and everything is run nicely

Anybody know of anyone who has actually tried to get some sound QUALITY out of a Talon? SPL doesn't seem hard, seems the talon was almost designed with SPL in mind, but i can't see how to get great quality out of the design.

~Ryan

*Edit* Richard, i'm sure that myself and my "installer" (the guy i work with on sound installs) could see what's set wrong. If you'll be at the meet on Saturday i could take a look at it.

Offline Richard Nazar

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2002, 12:41:54 pm »
I'll be at the meet. Thanks!

Troy Simkus

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #20 on: December 04, 2002, 01:06:05 pm »
check out dsmtalk.com for sound stuff a few of the show cars are on that, or contact Keith Losier on ca.dsm.org

Offline John Hartman

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2003, 03:02:55 pm »
I have Infinity 652i speakers in all 4 corners of my car.  Sounds good(not as good as I thought it would but good) and fits fine.  I sealed up the factory "boxes" in the rear with silicone, and it made a BIG difference.  The fronts fit in just fine as well.

I don't know how you all fit 6x9s in the rear tho, unless you cut the steel to fit the speaker?
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...
2018 VW Golf Alltrack turbo Tornado Red, 6mt, some free mods

Offline Damian Zerr

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2003, 01:12:45 am »
I think it depends on what "package" your talon came with from the factory. I know mine came with the upgraded stereo package, leather seats, sunroof. I have 6x9 holes in the back, car came with mitsu 6x9 cones stock. I dropped in 6x9 pioneers in there, they fit fine.

Now my buddies tells me he has 6.5's in the rear, his car is a non-turbo, no leather, no sunroof.

So I guess it depends on what stereo package your talon came with from the factory.
0PSI and 0 Knock

Offline John Hartman

1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2003, 05:00:54 pm »
ahh, makes sense :)

I wish I knew this before I bought my speakers.  I would have gotten the metal "boxes" from a 6x9 car and then put in 6x9s.  Oh well the 6.5s sound nice too.
91 Eagle Talon TSi 5spd awd.  GT-12, TriFlow Cams, 850s, Tial, JIC, Jackal, sticky rubber.
86 Merkur XR4Ti 5spd, rwd, turbo, 91,381km.  Original paint, heated leather. intercooled, big VAM, Full 3" exhaust, Cossie sway bar, 16" tires.
06 Mazdaspeed6 6spd awd, DISI turbo, heated leather HIDs, Corksport, Cobb, Konig, Centric...

Offline Kristopher

Re: 1G speaker upgrade
« Reply #24 on: June 07, 2008, 02:27:17 am »
I was hesitant to bring this up but figured it has some good info that might help others also.

I have a 1991 that came w/o the CD player or amp so I'm pretty sure it'll have the smaller speaker set. Mitsu lists them as 10cm in the dash, 13cm in the doors and 16cm in the quarters (vs 6x9).

CAPS says this:
------Doors ------- Quarters
1Ga--13cm--------6x9 or 16cm depending on stereo pack
1Gb--16cm--------6x9 or 16cm depending on stereo pack

A 13cm is a tiny bit smaller than a 5.25" and a 16cm is slightly smaller than a 6.5".

My question is do 6.5" sound noticeably better than the 5.25"? And is a 6x9 much better than the 6.5"?
Is it worth hunting down the larger cups for the speaker holes? Will they even fit with aftermarket speakers?
It's been so long since I've looked into this stuff.

Kristopher

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #25 on: June 07, 2008, 02:53:56 am »
kris it all depends on the speakers u buy, when i did car audio we had 6.5's that were un amplified running without a crossover that sounded better then amplified 6x9's it all depends on quality and what your going for, 6.5's in my mind sound alot clearer and can have a good mid bass compared to 5.25's again, it depends on what u want, and how much u wanna spend, i have all jbl equipment and its all great stuff, not the top of the line by any means, but really good stuff for the price.
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)

Offline Mike Hewitt

« Reply #26 on: June 07, 2008, 03:01:24 am »
Like Mark just said...

Say you compare Lightning Audio(london drugs crap) 6x9's with Alpine Type S speakers, the lightning audio speakers may sound decent, but the Alpine will 100% sound better. It's all in how much you want to spend, and what you're going to be using the system for. IE, just D.D. sound, or SPL sound comps, etc etc. In my opinion you can't go wrong with Alpine Type S's...From reading Jamie's post on his new car it sounds like he likes them too.

And as to earlier topics about rear speakers..

my 1992 AWD Talon TSi had 6x9's in the rear, also was leather interior and sunroof. My 1990 Laser, no sunroof, not leather also has 6x9's in the rear. I'm not sure how Eagle,Plymouth & Mitsubishi decided what car gets what size rear speakers in the back, but from comparing those two cars, it seems as if the Laser was a 'lower' model yet still had stock 6x9's.
~CrAzY~
If it won't go, bore it.
If it still won't go, stroke it.
If it still won't go, chrome it...

Offline John Hartman

« Reply #27 on: June 07, 2008, 07:53:22 am »
as well, 6x9 speakers don't produce the quality(speaker for speaker) that a round speaker does, simply because of the shape.  Quality audio guy told me that once.  6.5" speakers are better than 6x9 apparently, all other things considered.

PS, wow, old post  ;)  I had had my car for about 6 months at that time.

Offline Kristopher

« Reply #28 on: June 07, 2008, 09:52:14 am »
Thanks guys, and sorry for gravedigging.

So I can leave my tweeters in the dash, replace the doors with a 5.25" coax/2-way, and stick with the 6.5" in the back. Sounds good to me. I see there's a cheaper JBL at Best Buy so I'll look around and see what else I can find.

I do have an amp I wouldn't mind hooking back up minus the two 10" subs I had. I figure the power would be nicer through the amp than through the deck.

Mike, did your Laser have the upgraded sound package, ie CD player? From CAPS I see that seems to be the difference.
Kristopher

Offline Mark Guthrie

« Reply #29 on: June 07, 2008, 10:31:36 am »
jbl is a good product but got to a place like beam riders or audivideo for equipment, bestbuy and future shop uselually has the cheaper model stuff then the other places for only alittle less, best way to check when looking is part numbers. alot of the pioneer product numbers will be for example "deh2100" pioneers decks work this way, premier decks were 3 letters "210" and there lower model would be the 2100, same with speakers and what not now as far as i can remember last time i looked it was still similar to this , just make sure u shop around and get the best speaker for your budget!
silly honda's, street lamps are for seeing, not hugging!

1991 talon tsi awd (DB UICP,Greddy type S BOV,FMIC, Steel 3"intake, 3" exhaust, BB MBC, 14PSI)